CMP selling service grade Winchester m1 garands

wait until they are all gone. it was amazing how much the price went up after the carbines ran out. hold onto it and you will double your money. tell that guy to FUG off

I gladly offered to remove the new SA 1965 barrel and install a worn LMR barrel...

Just put 15 or so pieces up in the WTS; kind of have a problem at the moment.

T

Figures .....at least 3 I would love to snag but I'm gun money broke.
Sales on my end are slow if not dead. Seems no one likes 1940s-1970s 22s
Going to have to put some stuff up on gun broker.
This savage , 1917 are among a few I'm,looking to round out my "collection"

Last edited:
Figures .....at least 3 I would love to snag but I'm gun money broke.
Sales on my end are slow if not dead. Seems no one likes 1940s-1970s 22s
Going to have to put some stuff up on gun broker.
This savage , 1917 are among a few I'm,looking to round out my "collection"

Try Armslist?...

Looks like I'm getting someone elses Christmas present from 1942...12753XX puts it just a few days before Santa Claus left the compound in one of the darkest years modern history has ever endured. This rifle is going to feel very special to me. Pics tomorrow if you guys are nice :D

To my knowledge, my Grandfather James Everett Williams Sr. would have been in the middle of his tour with the US Army fighting Rommel and the Nazi's in Africa (the only thing I have of his from the war is his N. Africa campaign medal) and probably close to the time he decided he had enough of being a ground pounder, but still wanted to go fight the Japs too. He joined the US Navy in late 1943 and shipped out of Norfolk for the South Pacific on the 8th of June in 1944 on the USS Mt. McKinley. He was on that ship until the Japs surrendered. After the war, he joined the newly formed Army Air Forces before they officially adopted the US Air Force as a separate entity in 1947.

I'd give every rifle in my safe just to have a conversation with him as a grown man. He died when I was 11 years old of cancer.

Looks like I'm getting someone elses Christmas present from 1942...12753XX puts it just a few days before Santa Claus left the compound in one of the darkest years modern history has ever endured. This rifle is going to feel very special to me. Pics tomorrow if you guys are nice :D

To my knowledge, my Grandfather James Everett Williams Sr. would have been in the middle of his tour with the US Army fighting Rommel and the Nazi's in Africa (the only thing I have of his from the war is his N. Africa campaign medal) and probably close to the time he decided he had enough of being a ground pounder, but still wanted to go fight the Japs too. He joined the US Navy in late 1943 and shipped out of Norfolk for the South Pacific on the 8th of June in 1944 on the USS Mt. McKinley. He was on that ship until the Japs surrendered. After the war, he joined the newly formed Army Air Forces before they officially adopted the US Air Force as a separate entity in 1947.

I'd give every rifle in my safe just to have a conversation with him as a grown man. He died when I was 11 years old of cancer.

my great uncle was in N africa for a short stint getting there just as Montgomery was stepping up offensives. He said he did some work with the british just before being trnsfered. Said the british where some tough SOBs.

I will post my grandfather's war diary later; he details his experience in the battle of Iwo Jima

Congrats.. That went from DBU to shipped in a day ?

yep...seems they picked up the pace there lately.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't make up his mind? Army then Navy then Air Force?

He certainly did his bit!

T[smile]

i figured i'd round it out for the family and join the Marines :D

- - - Updated - - -

my great uncle was in N africa for a short stint getting there just as Montgomery was stepping up offensives. He said he did some work with the british just before being trnsfered. Said the british where some tough SOBs.

back then they were! hell, i bet there's even a few left with balls in their bag despite their country's best attempts to neuter the population.

Awesome- nice connection to family history regarding the serial date. Perhaps you have some family who would remember things your Grandfather would have said about the war? That's quite a service record! Coincidentally, my CMP Special receiver is dated late '44, when my Gramps would have been in the Battle of Leyte in the Philippines.

Pics when you can!

My grandfather got MS at 23 in 1937 (1914-1981), lost the use of his arms, and obviously could not serve. A younger brother was in the Navy. He also had 9 sisters and a baby brother (1937) My father was born 1938 - and had an uncle 15 months older than him.

t

My Grandfather and two of his brothers served in the Pacific. One brother infantry like my Grandfather, other one a cook. Oldest brother in law a MSgt., youngest actually more my Dad's age and good friends with my Dad. Actually, my Grandfather and his brother (the cook) married sisters (no not their own sisters [laugh])- so my Dad's good friend was also his uncle, maybe ~15 months older as well.

Gramps was issued a BAR but traded it for a Garand, which he said was better suited for running up and down the Philippine jungle mountains.

I wish I could find more info. My "uncle" has possession of what little is left of my great uncles stuff...they are related by marriage. Any how he had shown me a few things when I was younger.
This was after he went to Africa then shipped back to the states for training.
He scored expert in , rifle, pistol, carbine, automatic rifle (BAR) auto matic pistol.
There was another piece of paper but it was worn and tough to read and seems to be some sort of foreign weapons training paper work.
The story goes he shot expert on skis while training for 10th mountain. Story goes he had a BAR for several years after the war. The only evidence was a old picture from the 50s with it between him,and another gent leaning on a car. My dad doubts it was ever his as my great uncle was said to not like guns....unless we go into battle.
Any how most of my family history was lost long before I came to be.

IMG_20170726_145332936.jpg IMG_20170726_145232699_HDR.jpg IMG_20170726_145342654.jpg IMG_20170726_144945186_HDR.jpg IMG_20170726_145028952.jpg IMG_20170726_144846276_HDR.jpg IMG_20170726_144808298_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170726_145411793_HDR.jpg

Well...she's all SA from what I can tell save for the receiver, hammer, and parts of the rear site (WCE and Wright marked elevation and windage)...but the muzzle guages 1+ supposedly so she should be a shooter I hope! It'll be fun to have another one to choose from...even if it's just a different receiver but in GI Wood. I didn't snap a pic, but it looks like there's an old circle P that got sanded out? And a newer one that's still there. Lockup is about as tight as I could expect from a GI stock...which is to say really pretty doggone tight!

Couple more that did't come through the first attempt.

IMG_20170726_144747472.jpg IMG_20170726_144612330.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 203613View attachment 203615View attachment 203614View attachment 203616View attachment 203617View attachment 203618View attachment 203619
View attachment 203620

Well...she's all SA from what I can tell save for the receiver, hammer, and parts of the rear site (WCE and Wright marked elevation and windage)...but the muzzle guages 1+ supposedly so she should be a shooter I hope! It'll be fun to have another one to choose from...even if it's just a different receiver but in GI Wood. I didn't snap a pic, but it looks like there's an old circle P that got sanded out? And a newer one that's still there. Lockup is about as tight as I could expect from a GI stock...which is to say really pretty doggone tight!

Couple more that did't come through the first attempt.

View attachment 203622View attachment 203624

A4? (Anniston?) Rebuild with a 1960's barrel... You scored !

A4? (Anniston?) Rebuild with a 1960's barrel... You scored !

Yes...a '63 barrel i think...i'll look again when I get home. I took it out when I got it back to work and put it on the hood of an old dodge powerwagon for the centerfold shots :D

But alas, I do have to get SOMETHING done here, so I put her back in the case (which wasn't even latched when I pulled it out of the box :/)

No DBU for me yet.... Envelope arrived on Monday. Expecting some movement early next week.

Edit, just read on the forum that the Winchesters are marked as Sold Out as of today on the sales page.

Last edited:
Did that once for every one I've had, and reinstalled with a new, full spring kit. My hands are no longer strong enough to do it a second time. But since I'm now down to only one Garand, I may do it again in a couple of years.

t

Here are the photos from mine. i actually haven't been able to pull mine apart yet because the trigger guard is really in there. i tried with a 30-36 cartridge and bent it, i also tried a .223 cartridge and couldn't get it to budge. i didn't have a screwdriver handy to put through the rear hole to give it a good yank.

IMG_20170717_085931.jpg IMG_20170717_090016.jpg IMG_20170717_090419.jpg IMG_20170717_093026.jpg IMG_20170717_093036.jpg IMG_20170717_093044.jpg IMG_20170717_093054.jpg IMG_20170717_093108.jpg IMG_20170717_093115.jpg IMG_20170717_093123.jpg

i received new wood. i haven't decided if i'm going to try BLO or Tung oil. Regardless, thank you all for the heads up as this is my first Garand. Very happy with what i received.

Last edited:
View attachment 203648

I just can't let well enough alone...

This is what you should do with every M1 , Inspect every part closely. Take some time and so a good parts write up. I'm also one to replace all the springs while I'm in there.
Look closely for cracks.
I been looking at some pictures definitely a grab bag coming through. Some look like they where pulled from the crate others look like cmp struggled to find enough parts for.
I will toss this out there. This is why your not seeing bolts or op rods for sale at cmp.
Enjoy folks and go shoot them. JC Garand would want you to. After all they are good for at least 1/2 mil rounds!

I was in OH on vacation a couple weeks ago so I snuck out one morning to visit Camp Perry. Walked out of the North Store with a post-war Collector Grade HRA, SVS Grade Winchester, SVS Grade IHC, and a WINCHESTER M1D. Added 4 bayonets to the pile and limped back to the hotel broke and smiling ear to ear. The pickins were slim at the store but they are there - for now. Well worth the 10 hour drive if you are so inclined.

This is what you should do with every M1 , Inspect every part closely. Take some time and so a good parts write up. I'm also one to replace all the springs while I'm in there.
Look closely for cracks.
I been looking at some pictures definitely a grab bag coming through. Some look like they where pulled from the crate others look like cmp struggled to find enough parts for.
I will toss this out there. This is why your not seeing bolts or op rods for sale at cmp.
Enjoy folks and go shoot them. JC Garand would want you to. After all they are good for at least 1/2 mil rounds!

I actually like the looks of the springs that were in there after I put them in the solvent tank for a little bit. They're pretty darn clean, and appear unused for the most part. Like DW noticed, this is an arsenal rebuild from an army depot in 1965...I think the CMP just gave it a looksie and threw it in the case. Almost all of the parts have fresh park on them, and the op rod guide tab shows VERY little wear. it also came DRY as a bone! CMP rifles have typically come to me in the past slathered in assembly oil, which is why I think this thing is basically as was from the depot.

Thus far I dunked every metal part in solvent save for the trigger assembly and rear sight parts. Disassembled the bolt and made some measurements to the firing pin and got all the goo out of the firing pin channel and extractor. took all the stock hardware off and using some 2000 grit wet sand paper gave the stock a once over with some Boiled Linseed Oil. Swapped the handguard with the one on my IHC because they each matched the other rifle better. cleaned the chamber with a ratcheting chamber brush and some copper solvent and dunked in the parts cleaner again. hoppes#9'd the barrel and inspected rifling/placement of gas hole (checked out good with very strong rifling).

Further inspection with my bible (The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual ) by my side tonight, I can't go wrong, right? Praise John C. Garand...hallelujah!

I was in OH on vacation a couple weeks ago so I snuck out one morning to visit Camp Perry. Walked out of the North Store with a post-war Collector Grade HRA, SVS Grade Winchester, SVS Grade IHC, and a WINCHESTER M1D. Added 4 bayonets to the pile and limped back to the hotel broke and smiling ear to ear. The pickins were slim at the store but they are there - for now. Well worth the 10 hour drive if you are so inclined.

JESUS! Now THAT's a shopping spree!

Come shoot with us at the CMP matches in Pembroke...they're a lot of fun!

Our M1 Garand Community is growing here within NES...Derek might have to give us our own section :D

Back when I ordered my first M1 from the CMP - the DBU's alone were taking a month-6 weeks to get, e-store hit even longer. Think it took 5 months? During those 5 months I considered the 10 hour drive to North Store and back. Never did it, just endured the wait and ended up with a correct HRA for my first rifle. Still have it in the back of the safe.

Back when I ordered my first M1 from the CMP - the DBU's alone were taking a month-6 weeks to get, e-store hit even longer. Think it took 5 months? During those 5 months I considered the 10 hour drive to North Store and back. Never did it, just endured the wait and ended up with a correct HRA for my first rifle. Still have it in the back of the safe.

Way back in 2014? So salty :D

That's a nice score for a first M1, but why's it in the back of your safe?

That's the last one needed to complete my receiver collection (H&R)...and apart from the ridiculosness of wanting all four receivers, my grandfather (again) worked at Harrington & Richardson on Park Avenue in Worcester after he got out of the Army Air Forces. I'm willing to bet he might have put a hand or both on any number of Garands going through the assembly line in the early 50's leading up to the conflict on the Korean peninsula.

In case anyone is considering competing at the New England Games in Vermont, last year they brought ~2 or 3 pallet loads of Garands to sell. Various makes, conditions, and types. Competitors only...

Way back in 2014? So salty :D

That's a nice score for a first M1, but why's it in the back of your safe?

That's the last one needed to complete my receiver collection (H&R)...and apart from the ridiculosness of wanting all four receivers, my grandfather (again) worked at Harrington & Richardson on Park Avenue in Worcester after he got out of the Army Air Forces. I'm willing to bet he might have put a hand or both on any number of Garands going through the assembly line in the early 50's leading up to the conflict on the Korean peninsula.

Close... May 2013. Can only shoot one at a time !

Check your PM shortly.

Back
Top Bottom