CMP selling service grade Winchester m1 garands

I already shoot USPSA and plan to shoot PRS as those are more my style and speed. While I understand that the CMP matches have something to offer, I am not in a position to add another competition to my schedule. I will, however, curate and shoot the rifle should I choose to obtain it.

I am not your "problem".
getting new comers to any shooting sport can be tough. For the most part the CMP games just do not attract the younger shooters as quickly as some of the faster pace or slower pace events.
look at how they try. The mondern military match was supposed to bring in some of non service rifle compliant ARs, AKs, FAL,s, SKS and new shooters.... the optics now allowed was also intended to get some people on the line...im not sure how many pecentage points attendance went up for cmp over all but its stayed about the same at 3 clubs i shoot at if not its gone done some.

I already shoot USPSA and plan to shoot PRS as those are more my style and speed. While I understand that the CMP matches have something to offer, I am not in a position to add another competition to my schedule. I will, however, curate and shoot the rifle should I choose to obtain it.

I am not your "problem".

ftr, I wasn't pointing a finger at you...and that probably came across wrong in text. my apologies for that.

I still haven't done anything to the CMP wood on my special, it's just plain. Only wood stuff I've done in that vein was helping the old man with a bureau when I was a teenager one time.

I love the wood on my service grade.
I'm tempted to stain my AK furniture darker but I figured "if it ain't broke.."

A little oil will go a long way to protect the wood. If you don't wanna mess with it, hit it with a coat or two or three of true oil, dulling between finishes with 0000 steel wool, and you'll never have to mess with it again.

ftr, I wasn't pointing a finger at you...and that probably came across wrong in text. my apologies for that.

No harm done. If I took it the wrong way, my bad. I can see how you would be using my post to extrapolate reactions of a wider audience.

The CMP matches have a rep that will make it difficult to attract new shooters. I'm not sure you are going to change that by opening the classes up. The problem is akin to comparing USPSA with IDPA with even more rigid rules and disciplines. No matter what you change, I just won't be attracted to that style and atmosphere.

Plus many of the people I've seen push the matches represent what I don't like above.

I still haven't done anything to the CMP wood on my special, it's just plain. Only wood stuff I've done in that vein was helping the old man with a bureau when I was a teenager one time.

I love the wood on my service grade.
I'm tempted to stain my AK furniture darker but I figured "if it ain't broke.."

A rag, some BLO, some 0000 steel wool, and you are good to go. Wipe on, wipe off, repeat 4X or more times.

garand.jpg

I could probably keep going and make a much nicer finish, but the wood on my Special looks WAY better than as shipped. The finish as shipped was very dull due to a combination of a quick drying sprayed finish and no fine sanding / polishing. The grain was difficult to see through the super dull finish, now it's not so bad.

Last edited:
No harm done. If I took it the wrong way, my bad. I can see how you would be using my post to extrapolate reactions of a wider audience.

The CMP matches have a rep that will make it difficult to attract new shooters. I'm not sure you are going to change that by opening the classes up. The problem is akin to comparing USPSA with IDPA with even more rigid rules and disciplines. No matter what you change, I just won't be attracted to that style and atmosphere.

Plus many of the people I've seen push the matches represent what I don't like above.

Everyone seems to find what they like to do as far as any type of organized shooting events.
I try to shoot anything that fits into my life schedule. This year I wanted to do IDPA only because I have not yet. Problem is every match within driving distance for me was on a day already filled with other life events.
Before I had kids I traveled for trap and a little 3 gun but there where only a handful of 3 gun events back then and they where all several hours away.
I shot some bulls eye in leagues but don't like shooting indoors. CMP service pistol was fun. Local steel plate was fun WHEN they would do it.
I'm still waiting on the 22lr F class event to start up at another club...not holding my Breath.
It's all good and we all find our little niches we like. I support any and all organized shooting and try to participate in evrything I can.
CMP is fun and laid back as far as I'm concerned and up until recently the rules where pretty darn simple. I also want to try some cowboy action shooting but that's another wallet busting venture I'm,not ready for yet.
Shoot often

A rag, some BLO, some 0000 steel wool, and you are good to go. Wipe on, wipe off, repeat 4X or more times.

View attachment 204217

I could probably keep going and make a much nicer finish, but the wood on my Special looks WAY better than as shipped. The finish as shipped was very dull due to a combination of a quick drying sprayed finish and no fine sanding / polishing. The grain was difficult to see through the super dull finish, now it's not so bad.
Looks nice. I prefer a a nice dark brown. I just want to do something to protect it a bit.

Looks nice. I prefer a a nice dark brown. I just want to do something to protect it a bit.

100% tung oil ...it's easy to apply. Rub in hands and fingers. No need for gloves. Let it sit 30min then wipe off excess. Let stand 30 min wipe excess off again and then wipe till almost dry. Apply addition coats when it dries...I like to go a week between coats. Good thing is you can re apply when ever you like for as long as you like.
You can get silly and wet sand between coats with 600 grit if you like.
There's even a few places that make a dark tung oil to add a bit of color.

100% tung oil ...it's easy to apply. Rub in hands and fingers. No need for gloves. Let it sit 30min then wipe off excess. Let stand 30 min wipe excess off again and then wipe till almost dry. Apply addition coats when it dries...I like to go a week between coats. Good thing is you can re apply when ever you like for as long as you like.
You can get silly and wet sand between coats with 600 grit if you like.
There's even a few places that make a dark tung oil to add a bit of color.

Yeah, but how's he going to protect his stock by rubbing tung oil in his hands and fingers. It sounds like fun, though.

I actually use 600 grit wet sand paper to apply my BLO on my CMP wood. I think the first coat I did with 400 just to smooth out any raised areas. I just soak the wet sand paper for 5 or 10 minutes and use it in the direction of the grain, reupping oil a few times throughout the process. after the main stock, I do the handguards (use painters tape to cover all the metal to keep it from changing color if you like, or just take the metal off), and by the time i'm done with them, I take a nice soft rag and wipe down any excess on the main part of the stock. wipe off the handguards and viola! easy peasy.

Yeah, but how's he going to protect his stock by rubbing tung oil in his hands and fingers. It sounds like fun, though.

I actually use 600 grit wet sand paper to apply my BLO on my CMP wood. I think the first coat I did with 400 just to smooth out any raised areas. I just soak the wet sand paper for 5 or 10 minutes and use it in the direction of the grain, reupping oil a few times throughout the process. after the main stock, I do the handguards (use painters tape to cover all the metal to keep it from changing color if you like, or just take the metal off), and by the time i'm done with them, I take a nice soft rag and wipe down any excess on the main part of the stock. wipe off the handguards and viola! easy peasy.

ohh yeah do the stock to....
https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/oils/dark-tung/

Form filled out and printed, now for the next step.

Nice... now something to consider. Lots of CC deals out there offering $100-250 cash back on $500-1000 spent in first 30-60 days and no interest.
My last M1 purchased through cmp was with new card that gave me $25 worth of reward points to sign on. No interest for 12months on purchases made in first 90days plus 5% cash back with addition $100 if you spend $1000 in first 90 days.
So I got $125 back plus 5% on the 90 day purchases... for just under $150.. not to bad.
I think AMX has one of the better deals right now.
Cash back , no interest and higher cash back % right now. Just watch out for annual fees some do some don't.Chase seems to be offering some good deals also.

Last edited:
Form filled out and printed, now for the next step.

NICE! Getting a field grade, are ya? They're such a mixed bag, but I've seen some REALLY nice field grades.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice... now something to consider. Lots of CC deals out there offering $100-250 cash back on $500-1000 spent in first 30-60 days and no interest.
My last M1 purchased through cmp was with new card that gave me $25 worth of reward points to sign on. No interest for 12months on purchases made in first 90days plus 5% cash back with addition $100 if you spend $1000 in first 90 days.
So I got $125 back plus 5% on the 90 day purchases... for just under $150.. not to bad.
I think AMX has one of the better deals right now.
Cash back , no interest and higher cash back % right now. Just watch out for annual fees some do some don't.Chase seems to be offering some good deals also.

Mac's got moves! Gaming the system to feed his Garand addiction!

Should I add a sticky note and what should I say? Do they care or even read them?

I typically ask for USGI furniture and have received it 2 out of 3 times. If you ask for a laundry list of things I'm sure they'll just ignore it. I've heard of guys asking for things like low muzzle wear, green (USMC, I believe) parkerization on receiver, USGI parts...not sure who received what, but I've been happy with everything I ever got, even if it wasn't exactly what I'd hoped for. You're going to get a shooter...if you keep that in mind as your baseline, you'll be happy. If for some reason it's not a shooter, send it or the individual parts back and they'll make it right!

I'll offer to you the same I did for the other guy...if you want to come over sometime, I'll run you through the basic steps of disassembly, inspection, cleaning, lubricating and reassembly. I only ask that you participate in Mountains postal match for fun before September 24th to check function and get on paper...I can even help with that too if you're not familiar with the process.

Well they only seem to have Field Grades at the moment. I would rather get a Service Grade but they aren't available. I thought about the Special Field grade but was told that I'm not likely to get a WWII receiver on those. I am open to waiting a month to see if anything else frees up but I'd like to order it in the next month or two.

not really sure why they would say that about the receiver on a special grade...maybe Daekken can chime in on that.

the service grades sold out about a week and a half ago. you might still have good luck with a field grade, but even then you're not guaranteed a WWII receiver as you've seen from what the guys here got. someone said the field grades are only coming with new boyds stocks? not sure how true that is either.

i'm sure they'll be another run on springfields/H&R's at some point, but they're getting close to done with all of them for the time being due to lack of stock. if you care at all about having a Winchester and paying $200 more for it in any configuration, I'd scoop up a field grade while you still can. I highly doubt those will be going up for sale again any time soon, if ever.

unfortunately we're witnessing the death rattles of the CMP garand rifle program for the time being. if we get anymore from overseas in a few years, they'll start it all over again :D

Well they only seem to have Field Grades at the moment. I would rather get a Service Grade but they aren't available. I thought about the Special Field grade but was told that I'm not likely to get a WWII receiver on those. I am open to waiting a month to see if anything else frees up but I'd like to order it in the next month or two.

If you are still talking about Winchesters, they are all WWII. Winchester did not make post war M1's.

not really sure why they would say that about the receiver on a special grade...maybe Daekken can chime in on that.

the service grades sold out about a week and a half ago. you might still have good luck with a field grade, but even then you're not guaranteed a WWII receiver as you've seen from what the guys here got. someone said the field grades are only coming with new boyds stocks? not sure how true that is either.

i'm sure they'll be another run on springfields/H&R's at some point, but they're getting close to done with all of them for the time being due to lack of stock. if you care at all about having a Winchester and paying $200 more for it in any configuration, I'd scoop up a field grade while you still can. I highly doubt those will be going up for sale again any time soon, if ever.

unfortunately we're witnessing the death rattles of the CMP garand rifle program for the time being. if we get anymore from overseas in a few years, they'll start it all over again :D
Here was my experience, for what it's worth.

1.) Plain field grade order sent December 2016, DBU/e-store etc. in Jan 2017. I sent a sticky that literally said:
"I would really appreciate a WW2 serial number and USGI wood."
2.) It went on back order
3.) While waiting I also ordered a Field Grade special
4.) The field grade special came with a brand new criterion barrel, and was completely reparked, it came with new CMP wood and a sling, in March, about three weeks after I ordered it. Springfield, August 1943 serial number. As the description on the website said, it had some pitting. Particularly on the heel along the wood line, and near the handguards. It's reparked, and the pitting is minor. Folks on the CMP forums tended to have less pitting than I did.
5.) On the regular field grade, in March 2017 I received an email from customer service saying they had service grades ready to go that weren't for sale yet, and wanted to know if I wanted to upgrade for $100.
I asked specifically about the wood--I wanted USGI. They replied that the field grades would all come with USGI wood, but some could be really beat up.
6.) I also asked about service grade wood--they said that the majority would come with new CMP wood, but they would add a sticky for me for USGI wood, but it was not a guarantee. I accepted the upgrade.
7.) I received my service grade late March/early April. June 1944 serial, USGI wood.
8.) The rear sight on my special would not work. I posted a thread about in this section of the forums. The windage knob would also move the elevation knob. CMP replied they thought it was a bad parkerization job. They sent an envelope, I sent the sights back, and they mailed me functional ones that have been fine since.

Additional notes:
1.) Would assume FG specials would have lots of WW2 serials since those would have been more likely to have seen hard use, but that's just a guess. My special was August '43 as noted above.
2.) Everything I have read about stickies says that the guys filling the orders get a stack of orders to box/ship, and a bunch of rifles. When they get yours if they can accommodate it, mostemployees will try. They won't hold your order and wait for something to match it. If they have 5 rifles on hand and one meets your request, they might grab that one over the others. Simplicity is better, I would say. Just write something like the MajSpud special--"USGI wood, WW2 receiver please". It can't hurt, but accept that it's not a guarantee. Some guy on the CMP forum was REALLY upset that he ordered 3-4 rifles and all had new wood. He posted some rant and contacted customer service and raged out. People jumped all over him, as they should have. The sticky is only a request.
3.) I am extremely pleased with my rifles. Even though the rear sight on my special needed to be replaced, the CMP was very courteous and got it done ASAP. At this point, I consider my service grade to be my favorite firearm out of anything I own (I love my special, too, but with the repark/barrel/new wood, it's not quite the same in terms of affection--but I use it in matches and still cherish it).

I have only ordered the Special, as it was intended for CMP match shooting. I asked for a WWII serial number if possible, and sent the request via a nice note & included a WWII pic of Gramps who carried a Garand into battle with the Red Arrow Division, Philippines. They sent one with a perfect looking receiver, made while the Battle of Leyte was raging. As above stated, a 'sticky' request will be filled if they can depending upon available stock.

Even the RM1 Specials can have some new wood fit issues and other things to sort out to get them to match condition. Regardless, it's still a good deal on a Garand. Anything that's a problem for general shooting duty, the CMP will correct.

Should I add a sticky note and what should I say? Do they care or even read them?

You can add stickies but honestly your only real chance of getting anything special is serial number related. Those asigning orders to rifles if they know anything about serial number data can get you something in range.
Cmp from what I have been told by a few folks that have actually worked down their as volunteers have the M1s graded and all boxed up and ready to ship. The office asigns a serial number to your order and shipping slaps a sticker on it.
Right now any Garand Cmp sells through general sales is one of the best deals you will get out side private sales between good friends.
The CMP customer service has been 100% for me. With quick response and solutions. Have replaced , repaired or refunded my money.
I took a shot a few years ago on thier reproduction web slings. Bought 10. Sorry to say they sucked. A quick email and pictures of the problems I got a return receipt and a full refund before I even got the returns to the mailbox!
A few issues with function on 2 Garands where solved by phone with one of the armourers.
If you want a good shooter for a decent price the CMP specials are hard to beat.
You can't put a new stock ,barrel and refinsh one for the same money.
The Winchester are only worth the extra money because Winchester.

Last edited:
One of the best ways to ensure what you get is to make a pilgrimage to the store or compete at Perry or one of the regionals like Vermont. Haven't been to Butner but I assume they bring rifles to sell. Decent selection at Vermont last year.

Back
Top Bottom