CMP selling service grade Winchester m1 garands

I think $2k would be a hefty bid...and somewhat unlikely to be outbid at that point, no? Unless this is like the CMP auction and people bid WAY high on stuff. But yeah...with the bayonets, I wouldn't hesitate to pay 2k for that (of your money) :D

I think $2k would be a hefty bid...and somewhat unlikely to be outbid at that point, no? Unless this is like the CMP auction and people bid WAY high on stuff. But yeah...with the bayonets, I wouldn't hesitate to pay 2k for that (of your money) :D

I will let you know in September... I think $2500 - $3000 would be my upper limit on those two. However, I don't even know enough to place values on them individually and know if that is a fair price.

I will let you know in September... I think $2500 - $3000 would be my upper limit on those two. However, I don't even know enough to place values on them individually and know if that is a fair price.

Not sure they're worth THAT much IMHO...the M1 is mismatched, but nice part about it is the parts that don't match are pretty desirable to others to make 'correct' rifles (The IHC op rod in particular, but also the WRA bolt).

I personally don't mind my mixmasters at all and on the most recent WRAService I got basically a Springfield rifle with a WRA receiver...but the parts are all so nice and the fit is as good as I could ask for out of another shooter (I'll call it a 'backup' match rifle to justify the purchase, lol). That being said, my IHC w/LMR barrel doesn't really get shot much because of how close to 'correct' it is...it's a damn shame.

and your other option would be to just DUMP money and buy a bunch of different rifles from CMP and mix/match the parts you want on a rifle you would keep...then put the rest together as mixmasters and sell them.

then...

profit!

Hahahahahahahh. Sign up to RIA auction enjoy the really nice glossy catalogs they put out.
I'm I have been bidding on RIA stuff for a few years now. So far I'm out bid by about 40%
It's insane really.

Not sure they're worth THAT much IMHO...the M1 is mismatched, but nice part about it is the parts that don't match are pretty desirable to others to make 'correct' rifles (The IHC op rod in particular, but also the WRA bolt).

I personally don't mind my mixmasters at all and on the most recent WRAService I got basically a Springfield rifle with a WRA receiver...but the parts are all so nice and the fit is as good as I could ask for out of another shooter (I'll call it a 'backup' match rifle to justify the purchase, lol). That being said, my IHC w/LMR barrel doesn't really get shot much because of how close to 'correct' it is...it's a damn shame.

The problem is your average mid master in the wild is going to fetch at least $1200 unless you find a private seller and a deal. For many years every M1 I,pick up at a gun shop is no less than 1k and generally between rack and field grade. I'm out of touch on the 1903 I prices but they where getting north of 1k a few years ago.

Also there is another Amoskeag auction on Aug 26. Usually a few Garands & sell prices typically the 'going rate'. No idea how much the premiums etc. jack up the price.

For that money you could take a trip to one of the CMP stores and pick out a nice one.

A high price for buying them individually would only be $2000 and that's completely ridiculous to me.

For that money you could take a trip to one of the CMP stores and pick out a nice one.

A high price for buying them individually would only be $2000 and that's completely ridiculous to me.

Is it though? They both seem like very nice rifles and I don't see those on the open market for less than $1200 each. The "correct" Garand in the classifieds is listed at $1400, what would be a fair price for it?

Is the general consensus that $1250 is too much for a 1903 and for a Garand?

Taking my chances of a service Grade that will be a mixmaster and possibly look like crap isn't attractive when compared with the alternatives. Buy 3 service grades and see how they match up? Serial #'s will be off won't they?

Is it though? They both seem like very nice rifles and I don't see those on the open market for less than $1200 each. The "correct" Garand in the classifieds is listed at $1400, what would be a fair price for it?

Is the general consensus that $1250 is too much for a 1903 and for a Garand?

Taking my chances of a service Grade that will be a mixmaster and possibly look like crap isn't attractive when compared with the alternatives. Buy 3 service grades and see how they match up? Serial #'s will be off won't they?

You can find correct parts buying several M1s. You can find out the correct parts for the serial number range. It will take some research and time. My most correct rifle is a SG SA. It's not pretty and basically is a average 6moa rifle.
I,know a group of guys who buy their limit each year from the cmp and dissect and sort the parts then piece them back together to form "correct" rifles. I know they are not as active and one guy from the group sold most of his collection last year...rumor mill is he averaged $1200 per rifle with a few high end rifles in the mix. Still no real info on how many he actually sold. Last I visited him was 7 years ago and he had at least 75 M1s out on his wall rack.

Last edited:
That's a nice little nest egg...plus he got to shoot them all whenever he wanted in the meantime!

In the 20 plus years being a member at the same club I think I have seen him shoot a M1 3 times.
If he's shooting its usually his 1903 with Redfield match sights or something modern.
He once said he had 200 garands and mentioned most where bought cheap. I know he had a few cmp lottery M1 c and d snipers still in the wrap. Along with some very nice 1903a3s and 1917s from the cmp. The other guys in this little group are starting to sell off also. Although they either want way to much or want to sell 20 at a time.

Last edited:
In the 20 plus years being a member at the same club I think I have seen him shoot a M1 3 times.
If he's shooting its usually his 1903 with Redfield match sights or something modern.

Damn shame...but maybe he still did the M1 community a service by putting together correct rifles?

I'm just amazed because I can still remember the first round I ever shot through an M1...I was awestruck! I'll never forget that.

They're just awesome...I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Damn shame...but maybe he still did the M1 community a service by putting together correct rifles?

I'm just amazed because I can still remember the first round I ever shot through an M1...I was awestruck! I'll never forget that.

They're just awesome...I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Sadly 90% of the people I know who own M1s do not shoot them.

I wish I knew where he sold them. One of the guys sold a bunch of his rifles to a know parts house. I like the idea of available parts but these places shred them and piece them out.

Last edited:
$6k?
Not really what I was looking for. How many rifles could I get for that? What makes this one worth $6k?

$6k?
Not really what I was looking for. How many rifles could I get for that? What makes this one worth $6k?

You could get 8 service grades from the CMP and have $160 left for a few slings,ammo,bayonets,cleaning kits and such.
Oh and there's a consecutive serial number set of 2 HRAs new in original shiping box from HRA....those are only 25k.
I cent tell you why some Garands get so much over others as I'm just a shooter collector. So I will take the least expensive ones with good barrels and decent lock up.
This is why it's important to know what you want and know what your looking at. I will be tossing a few bids on RIA to see what sticks. They have a hefty buyer's premium so I need to factor that in my bid. Thier shipping is a bit stought also.

Last edited:
You could get 8 service grades from the CMP and have $160 left for a few slings,ammo,bayonets,cleaning kits and such.
Oh and there's a consecutive serial number set of 2 HRAs new in original shiping box from HRA....those are only 25k.
I cent tell you why some Garands get so much over others as I'm just a shooter collector. So I will take the least expensive ones with good barrels and decent lock up.
This is why it's important to know what you want and know what your looking at. I will be tossing a few bids on RIA to see what sticks. They have a hefty buyer's premium so I need to factor that in my bid. Thier shipping is a bit stought also.

Do you figure an additional 20% on top of your bid or more than that?

I'm torn right now, which means that I may take the CMP service grade and see how the auction shakes out. Looking at past auctions, Garands have consistently sold for 10-20% over the max suggestions for each lot. If I were going to pay that much, I may as well just buy the one in the classifieds here.

In the end I will likely end up with a shooter and then a collector or two as my safe fills up. Hell, I will probably need to put a rack on the wall of my armory for collector stuff just so I have space in the safes.

Do you figure an additional 20% on top of your bid or more than that?

I'm torn right now, which means that I may take the CMP service grade and see how the auction shakes out. Looking at past auctions, Garands have consistently sold for 10-20% over the max suggestions for each lot. If I were going to pay that much, I may as well just buy the one in the classifieds here.

In the end I will likely end up with a shooter and then a collector or two as my safe fills up. Hell, I will probably need to put a rack on the wall of my armory for collector stuff just so I have space in the safes.

Can't help you there.
I base my bids on what I am willing to pay. Factor in time and travel that I would have to spend money anyway. Then base my bid on all that.
As fo what to get.??? This is why I opted out of "collecting"
It's to expensive for me to get into. Rather have several guns that shoot well and I'm not affraid to shoot them. I know one guy who has some very collectable guns.
A gas trap M1 for one but the barrel is awful inside. It's worth a good amount even with the crap barrel...to me it's not worth much because I would need a new barrel to shoot it.

If I where to start collecting anything I think I would set a decent amount of money aside for books and research. Until then I will buy a good deal if one comes my way.

I'd say toss your hat in the ring with CMP and see what you get...if you don't like it, turn around and sell it at a profit and either get another one from CMP or try the VT Games. OR like I said before, buy a couple and MAKE the one you want. a lot of us here are willing to help and Mac and Mountain are successful builders and are a wealth of knowledge on the subject...I'm not volunteering their help, but you could probably find all information you would need just by searching through their posts!

There was was a dude a few weeks ago that got a WRA service grade and he came over my shop...we disassembled, inspected, adjusted and righted up some things (gas system), lubed and resembled and he was on his Merry way to the range...and he even hit the paper!

Geez, I was semi-bummed enough knowing that there were guys out there buying up a truckload of Garands over the years and just stacking them in closets. I'd rather see a million rifles owned by a million people. Never heard til just now of parts houses that tear them down and sell them piece by piece like its a 10 year old Corolla. Free market and all, but what a sin.

Geez, I was semi-bummed enough knowing that there were guys out there buying up a truckload of Garands over the years and just stacking them in closets. I'd rather see a million rifles owned by a million people. Never heard til just now of parts houses that tear them down and sell them piece by piece like its a 10 year old Corolla. Free market and all, but what a sin.

Pick any parts source For M1s price out a few parts and you will quickly see how much money can be made especially if your in the gun parts business.
A quick challenge go find a stripped receiver and unless your quick on the forum deals good luck finding a good one for half the cost of a service grade.
Now pick a manufacture and time period and try to build a "correct" rifle.
I only have a handful of Winchester parts but I could most likely sell them for a starter fund towards another M1. I'm just to lazy to source out the replacement parts right now.
There are several places also that will buy your guns Just for the purpose of parting them out.
This is why there is a flood of parts on eBay. You can tear down old 22s and other older guns that won't sell for much as while unit but you will be surprised at how much someone will pay for a bolt or trigger group.
I have about 10 22s that are going down This route. I'm not going to give them away and they have not sold so parts is money.

Pick any parts source For M1s price out a few parts and you will quickly see how much money can be made especially if your in the gun parts business.
A quick challenge go find a stripped receiver and unless your quick on the forum deals good luck finding a good one for half the cost of a service grade.
Now pick a manufacture and time period and try to build a "correct" rifle.
I only have a handful of Winchester parts but I could most likely sell them for a starter fund towards another M1. I'm just to lazy to source out the replacement parts right now.
There are several places also that will buy your guns Just for the purpose of parting them out.
This is why there is a flood of parts on eBay. You can tear down old 22s and other older guns that won't sell for much as while unit but you will be surprised at how much someone will pay for a bolt or trigger group.
I have about 10 22s that are going down This route. I'm not going to give them away and they have not sold so parts is money.

I get the economics of it, just think its a sin. People can tear apart and part out Corollas and Camry's all day, who cares? It'd be a sin to buy up vintage Corvette's and do the same. Only so many Garands out there, just hate seeing them torn apart and sold bit by bit.

I get the economics of it, just think its a sin. People can tear apart and part out Corollas and Camry's all day, who cares? It'd be a sin to buy up vintage Corvette's and do the same. Only so many Garands out there, just hate seeing them torn apart and sold bit by bit.

On the flip side, those parts are coming from an arsenal or CMP mixmaster and going towards a more 'correct' build. You or your kids ever watch the animated movie Iron Giant? He was built so that if ever necessary, the dispersed parts will find each other to bring him back to life. Think of the Garand parts business a little bit like that- original parts finding each other to complete a rifle that is correct for its original build.

I'm not really a collector and look for parts that are in good shape for match shooting. My NM clone Garand is a mish mash of SA USGI, NOS, new (like the Criterion barrel) and a couple collectible parts. If it's a part that only has to function, I'm not going to build a shooter with the collectible parts that command a higher price unless there's some benefit to having a National Match part. As long as I take care of what I have, the NM parts will only increase in value and may eventually go to a correct NM build.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say toss your hat in the ring with CMP and see what you get...if you don't like it, turn around and sell it at a profit and either get another one from CMP or try the VT Games. OR like I said before, buy a couple and MAKE the one you want. a lot of us here are willing to help and Mac and Mountain are successful builders and are a wealth of knowledge on the subject...I'm not volunteering their help, but you could probably find all information you would need just by searching through their posts!

There was was a dude a few weeks ago that got a WRA service grade and he came over my shop...we disassembled, inspected, adjusted and righted up some things (gas system), lubed and resembled and he was on his Merry way to the range...and he even hit the paper!

I'm relatively new to this but have had some success with builds and/or tweaks. I can offer lessons in what not to do... [laugh]

I've corrected a rifle before and I don't see the value in it, but these days I'm more of a shooter. It's always going to be a put-together rifle and it's value is the sum of it's parts. That being said, it's a fun process to hunt everything down and do the build. Now if someone was breaking up original B/R combos with good barrels, out of the wrap rifles or even arsenal rebuilt leg etched examples that's a different story. I'm sure there have been more than a few guys who have tried to "correct" a leg etched Garand when all they were really doing was un-correcting it.

And enter the correct rebuilds....it never stops[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom