• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP selling service grade Winchester m1 garands

So what I'm getting out of this is that even "correct" Garands really aren't actually any better than anything else. There are rare parts and unicorns but as a whole even if everything matches, it's really nothing special. It might make me feel cool to have every part from the same mfg but it's not like that's how it was assembled seventy years ago. Even the WRA Field Grade Garand won't have all matching parts as it was originally built, right?

So with that being said, what is the best value from CMP? The Special Field Grade or the Service Grade?

That depends upon what you want. Something more 'vintage'? but a chance of new wood even if you request USGI wood? Service Grade. A good shooter? Special Field Grade. The only difference you can count on is the Special FG will have a Criterion barrel and it will have new wood. Either one is a good value for its intended purpose and on average both are a much better value than you will find otherwise.

Regardless, they are a ton of fun to shoot and either one will work for that. The Special might have a couple of simple, small bugs to work out but ultimately will easily hold the 10-ring (if you can) in a CMP match. Little things like the sight was not properly tightened, etc. Major stuff is OK or CMP will replace.

So what I'm getting out of this is that even "correct" Garands really aren't actually any better than anything else. There are rare parts and unicorns but as a whole even if everything matches, it's really nothing special. It might make me feel cool to have every part from the same mfg but it's not like that's how it was assembled seventy years ago. Even the WRA Field Grade Garand won't have all matching parts as it was originally built, right?

So with that being said, what is the best value from CMP? The Special Field Grade or the Service Grade?

If the Winchester field grade was as it was from the time frame of manufacture it would be $6k.
"Collecting" is a tough word and concept and how far you want to dig into is the only restriction.
The Winchester field grade offered right now is about as close to as they where after the war with some arsenal work.
The cmp special is as close to unissued as you can get shy of $3-5k
Last "correct" rifle I seen was a HRA and they wanted $3800.

My head hurts

Yes it will make your head hurt. That's why knowing what you want is a major starting point.
As for cmp offerings by mail order and under $1200
1. Winchester Field Grade: about as close to what they where when issued. What we don't know is if these are or where complete rifles or pieced together and built up by cmp. I'm sure there are some right out of the crate rifles coming through along with barreled actions being put to gether with parts on hand. Mr. Orest did mention several years ago they had a large amount of wood less and barreled actions. So this is the rifle to order if you want what a GI might have been issued and you want representation piece of history and the slightly added "value" of Win receiver

2: Springfield/HRA service grade. Great choice for a representative piece while leaning towards a good shooter value. It may or may not come with GI wood. Well there's plenty of GI stocks out their for sale and some are not very expensive.
Service grade may come with any year receiver in the manufacturing period of SA and HRA. Honestly I like the HRA better for shooting. Although what you expect as a shooter can widely vary in what you get. For me the Service Grade is the over all best value to cover both the representative and shooting needs/wants
3. CMP Field Grade I think this is the best value if you want a rifle that's as close to a new M1 as you can get and have potential to shoot well . If you like fresh metal new wood and barrel this is the way to go. It still represents what GI was issued but not a lot of collector quality left. Sure in 10-50 years it might be worth more than it is now and who knows might be a new market as a "original cmp build"
If cmp closes up shop the values will likely go up.
Lastly if your anal about looks you may want to get the CMP special.
4. CMP special... represents as close as you can find what a new M1 would have been like when handed to GI for the first time.

Your only other option is to go to north or south store and hand pick one or go to every gun shop and handle them until one says take me home.
IMMO unless you get lucky and buy private the M1s out there "worth collecting" are already in,collectors hands and are getting collectors prices.
Collectors don't help the cost any as collectors WANT XYZ and will PAY to fill that hole in their collection.

The good thing about the CMP mail order M1 is you can sell it at no loss and even a gain if you don't like what you see.
If I had 5-10k to sit on I would have bought my limit of service grades over a few years and just sat on them. Much better investment than my 401k.
It takes me a year or more to free up any cash to buy guns.

Last edited:
Everyone, thank you for the advice. Based on anticipated availability, I'm going to buy a WRA then probably a special once I see what the WRA Field Grade looks like. I expect the specials will be more readily available since they are mostly new production parts.

Maybe RIA has another spring auction with great lots like last year, the M1 Carbine is one of my favorite rifles.

Everyone, thank you for the advice. Based on anticipated availability, I'm going to buy a WRA then probably a special once I see what the WRA Field Grade looks like. I expect the specials will be more readily available since they are mostly new production parts.

Maybe RIA has another spring auction with great lots like last year, the M1 Carbine is one of my favorite rifles.

just keep FIELD Grade in mind when you get it. Good enough to go back into the field...[wink]

I got the "special" when they first came out. I was interested in shooting it and the new barrel was what I wanted.
I got a very nice Springfield from 1943. Not putting at all and the reparkd parts all look correct.
I was able to buy a new old stock barrel from CMP that has never been finished reamed.
I was also able to pick up a stock for short short money that is correct for the rifle.
I shoot it as is from cmp, but may restore it with the old parts someday.

BLUE I'm bringing it to car shoot. You can shoot it all you want . I have ammo so no worries

I understand that the WRA Field grade may be a little rough, which is why I am very likely to follow its purchase up with a special grade for (semi) regular shooting.

Gator, thank you for the offer and I may very well take you up on that offer for a volley or two.

Does anyone have a link on preferable/suggested ammo for the Garand?

I understand that the WRA Field grade may be a little rough, which is why I am very likely to follow its purchase up with a special grade for (semi) regular shooting.

Gator, thank you for the offer and I may very well take you up on that offer for a volley or two.

Does anyone have a link on preferable/suggested ammo for the Garand?
HXP from the CMP, or PPU (M1-specific load). I heard Federal makes an M1-specific load, but is overpriced.
Or roll your own...

CMP seems to be out of HXP; they are currently marketing Hornady ($286/200) and Sellier & Bellot ($135/100).

t

Last edited:
My vote is for a service grade. Best $730 I ever spent on a rifle - love mine.

And PPU garand ammo can be had for just under 70 cents per round shipped. I reload but still have an unopened 500 round ammo can of PPU 30-06...

I guess that means I will need clips huh?

Shit, I can legally say that I need clips for my boolets now.

Blue talk to me at the meatup. I have a lot more brass then I will probably ever need . I got a lot of hxp when it was .50 a round ( and we bitched at the markup ).

UPDATE on my m1. Took it to tge range today with a buddy who is a history teacher and really wanted to shoot it.
We were getting set up and I ran him through the operations of the rifle when I handed it to him and started to turn away I watched my rifle bounce off the benchrest and onto the concrete ground.
The stock got dented and scraped up but the park survived.
I figure this rifle has been through a lot worse but it sucked to see happen.
I know the teach felt really bad but man.....
After inspecting the rifle I found that his wedding ring was quite detrimental to the stock also.
I guess that's why I've avoided marriage haha

Last edited:
I don't think I have shot any PPU in .30-06, but so far in my .308 Garand build the PPU Match is as accurate as Creedmoor ammo that is made with Lapua brass and projectiles. The PPU Match is significantly more accurate than Hornady and Black Hills Match .308. Have not reloaded the brass yet but it looks like good quality and others like PPU brass in .30-06.

I'm a big fan of Lapua brass. I spend the extra dough on the Creedmoor ammo from CMP to get the Lapua brass. I have a few batches that I have been reloading for Garand and/or Springfield matches and honestly I have forgotten how many times it has been reloaded over the last 2 years. Maybe I have trimmed some once, but otherwise it has been within case length spec, reload after reload. 46.5 grains of Varget, 168 SMK's, CCI 200's, seat to clear my mic set at 3.30"

Our favorite retired Navy armorer runs batches of LC brass until it starts separating or showing stress where it will separate. Even if it does separate, it always seems to eject just fine. I've seen him shoot in at least 2 matches when he had a separation & he just keeps going- usually for the win. Anyway, I've yet to have a Lapua brass failure. I've only tossed what I damaged by stepping on it, etc.

Blue talk to me at the meatup. I have a lot more brass then I will probably ever need . I got a lot of hxp when it was .50 a round ( and we bitched at the markup ).

UPDATE on my m1. Took it to tge range today with a buddy who is a history teacher and really wanted to shoot it.
We were getting set up and I ran him through the operations of the rifle when I handed it to him and started to turn away I watched my rifle bounce off the benchrest and onto the concrete ground.
It stock got dented and scraped up. The park survived.
I figure this rifle has been through a lot worse but it looked me to see.
I know the teach felt really bad but man.
After inspecting the rifle I found that hiswedding ring was quite detrimental to the stock also.
If you ever have shaken a teachers hand, you know why he dropped the rifle.

It stock got dented and scraped up. The park survived.
I figure this rifle has been through a lot worse but it looked me to see.
I know the teach felt really bad but man.
After inspecting the rifle I found that hiswedding ring was quite detrimental to the stock also.

How does that even happen?

Back
Top Bottom