• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ASP colapsable batons in MA

I keep a mini-ASP lightweight baton in the console as an emergency window breaker. A Tomahawk in the door pocket is a good seatbelt cutter and emergency prybar.

I also carry a hickory heartwood cane. You can carry it into a courthouse and on airlines.

Nice videos HERE as well - that's my wife on the cover of the DVD!

When walking around with a cane, I'm always surprised how some people will hold doors for me or stop and let me cross a street. I try to limp a bit just to make them feel good [wink]

I would like to carry it in an rapid access location on my sling bag for riding bike in the city.
so the big Mag light is out..
So it looks like ASP is Ok as long as I am not doing crimes.
Can i defend myself with it?

I would like to carry it in an rapid access location on my sling bag for riding bike in the city.
so the big Mag light is out..
So it looks like ASP is Ok as long as I am not doing crimes.
Can i defend myself with it?

Not to be a wise-ass, but you can defend yourself with whatever you like.

If you get involved in some sort of dust-up, anything that you have on your person that could be used as a weapon will likely be considered one, including your shoes. A friend's late father (elderly at the time) was brought up on charges, and convicted, od assault with a dangerous weapon, because he threw a closed Swiss army type knife at a car that ran a red light and nearly hit him in a crosswalk.

So....best make sure that you are very much in the right, before you give someone's noggin a floggin'. Or pedal really fast.

Recently, someone in Framingham was arrested for assault with a dangerous weapon (an apple).

The baton is not unlawful to possess. When you clock someone upside the knob, it will be assault with a dangerous weapon (baton). When you clock someone upside the head with a Maglite,it will be assault with a dangerous weapon ( flashlight).

If you fight open-handed (as suggested above), and are wearing shoes, those will likely be "dangerous weapons", too.

Re the sap in post 36 - keep it at home, you're good.

If John Law wants to jack you up, a pretext will be found: remember that a screwdriver is a burglar's tool, given the "right" circumstances.

Don't forget the deadly 'shod foot'

My understanding is that they are illegal in MA. Most catalog or online retailers won't ship them to MA. Here is the law that I believe outlines it:

GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS PART IV. CRIMES, PUNISHMENTS AND PROCEEDINGS IN CRIMINAL CASES.
TITLE I. CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS. CHAPTER 269. CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE.
Chapter 269: Section 10. Carrying dangerous weapons...
(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

The bold is added by me for emphasize the parts that I think apply to your question, particularly the last one.
A baton is not a blackjack and the reference to blackjack does not include 'similar' weapons. See Comm v. Ami H. Perry.
The evidence in this case is not sufficient to establish that the "expandable baton" carried by the defendant was a "blackjack" carried in violation of G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b ). While the term "blackjack" is not defined in G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b ), the Commonwealth's witness testified that the weapon seized from the defendant was not a blackjack.

Judgment reversed.

Last edited:
I emailed my local PD asking the legality of carrying one of these a few minutes ago. For the sole purpose of defense against a dog-on-dog attack. The thread in general discussion today about the dog attack got me thinking. Can't shoot it if it's attacking my dog, but I'm wondering the legality of using a collapsible baton as defense and protection of my dog, which in MA is just property. And no.... I won't carry a maglite!!!!! Too damn heavy,lol!!! A nice ASP P12 caught my eye.

meh... not a fan of expandable batons. Now a good 28"-30" rattan stick? mmmm....mmmmm PROPER

I emailed my local PD asking the legality of carrying one of these a few minutes ago. For the sole purpose of defense against a dog-on-dog attack. The thread in general discussion today about the dog attack got me thinking. Can't shoot it if it's attacking my dog, but I'm wondering the legality of using a collapsible baton as defense and protection of my dog, which in MA is just property. And no.... I won't carry a maglite!!!!! Too damn heavy,lol!!! A nice ASP P12 caught my eye.

Please post the reply - it will be interesting to see if they follow the law, or make it up as they go.

Every Irishman should have a blackthorn walking stick.

I got my response. I emailed the PD generic address, and got a response from the chief, the next morning. I didn't email the city I live in (all egomaniacs who wouldn't respond, and there is no ACO here so It'd be useless) but I went to one of the surrounding towns. I have to say, I'm relieved to see there are still level-headed chiefs out there. He didn't bullshit me. Gave me facts and suggestions. And most importantly, my answer. Not illegal to carry for defense against dog, but if used... Expect investigation, like any other self defense situation. I can live with that.

Here is his response:

"Dear Jeff,

In response to your question regarding the collapsible baton. It is legal to carry, however any use of it would of require an investigation, just as it would if a firearm or other weapon were used.

Any incidents where a dog has charged or threatened you should be reported to the police or animal control. It is a law in --------that all dogs be under the control of their owner at all times. Violation is subject to a fine and the ACO has issued numerous fines for that offense."

Edit:
I chose to keep him and his town anonymous. I'd hate to have him scrutinized by something I started, although I feel his answer is one we could all hope for.

Last edited:
As far as Maglites go, am i holding the butt end and hitting them with the light end, or holding the light end and hitting with the butt end? What's the chances of the batteries flying out after the first strike leaving me with an empty tube?

As far as Maglites go, am i holding the butt end and hitting them with the light end, or holding the light end and hitting with the butt end? What's the chances of the batteries flying out after the first strike leaving me with an empty tube?

That is a question best answered by Jeffrey Asher. Although Melvin Jones could give some input as well.

As far as Maglites go, am i holding the butt end and hitting them with the light end, or holding the light end and hitting with the butt end?

See "exigent impact weapon" at 3 minutes+40 seconds
(it exactly matches something I'd read once):

Note that he's carrying it weak-sided because he's packing heat.
If he didn't have a gun, the Maglite would be in his strong hand.

Back
Top Bottom