• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ASP colapsable batons in MA

does anyone know if it is lawfull to carry one of them in Massachusetts?
I found one in some kit from a deployment and wondered if it might be useful in the car or EDC bag?
Thanks.

My understanding is that they are illegal in MA. Most catalog or online retailers won't ship them to MA. Here is the law that I believe outlines it:

GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS PART IV. CRIMES, PUNISHMENTS AND PROCEEDINGS IN CRIMINAL CASES.
TITLE I. CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS. CHAPTER 269. CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE.
Chapter 269: Section 10. Carrying dangerous weapons...
(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

The bold is added by me for emphasize the parts that I think apply to your question, particularly the last one.

It is legal to own, possess and use, unless you use it in the commission of a crime or are in possession of it while committing a crime.

Not legal to own in MA unless you are certified to carry one for employment purposes. You will go to jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

At a former job I saw batons come into play during some nice donnybrooks. They did little. A large mag lite on the other hand can bring the pain, big time.

A nice 1/2" breaker bar (with a lug nut socket, in case you need that for your wheels) works well.

I'd love to have a nice 16" ASP airweight, but that state prefers me to shoot, not hit someone. Go figure...

My understanding is that they are illegal in MA. Most catalog or online retailers won't ship them to MA. Here is the law that I believe outlines it:

GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS PART IV. CRIMES, PUNISHMENTS AND PROCEEDINGS IN CRIMINAL CASES.
TITLE I. CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS. CHAPTER 269. CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE.
Chapter 269: Section 10. Carrying dangerous weapons...
(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a blowgun, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

The bold is added by me for emphasize the parts that I think apply to your question, particularly the last one.

Has anyone ever figured out what a zoobow is??? Every time I search, I get a bunch of returns asking the same question.

Not legal to own in MA unless you are certified to carry one for employment purposes. You will go to jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

Total crap, please stop spreading it.

It's been stated already, legal to own and possess, just don't commit a crime or "disturb the peace" while it's in your possession.

As mentioned before maglight. Why no officer it's a flashlight I keep in my car for emergencies at night. Really it can be used as a weapon, I never knew that :)

Do you guys know if these are legal

http://www.amazon.com/Fury-Tactical...F8&qid=1398798177&sr=8-1&keywords=leather+sap

31ImBN4yuaL._SX425_.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

Recently, someone in Framingham was arrested for assault with a dangerous weapon (an apple).

The baton is not unlawful to possess. When you clock someone upside the knob, it will be assault with a dangerous weapon (baton). When you clock someone upside the head with a Maglite,it will be assault with a dangerous weapon ( flashlight).

If you fight open-handed (as suggested above), and are wearing shoes, those will likely be "dangerous weapons", too.

Re the sap in post 36 - keep it at home, you're good.

If John Law wants to jack you up, a pretext will be found: remember that a screwdriver is a burglar's tool, given the "right" circumstances.

Always count on several right answers followed by that one guy who "knows" because some other guy who "knows" told him so.

I was certified with the collapsible baton as well. I assure you I can beat the ever loving crap out a big foam shield.

+1 on the maglight> get the 4 or 6 D cell LED model in a happy color like red or blue. An ASP will sting, bruise and maybe break bone if you hit the right area, but a 6 D maglight will ruin your day with only a couple swings. Also if you ever have to get out of your car at night (accident, etc) you have the perfect excuse to have it right there in your hand ready to go.

I have a 4 D rechargable model and it is brighter than my Surefire "tactical" light. It lights up my half acre lot like noon.

A nice 1/2" breaker bar (with a lug nut socket, in case you need that for your wheels) works well.

Yup, that works.

Or in my case, I don't want to carry a baton. A nice, innocuous 3' length of rattan will do nicely... I don't know about a foam shield, but I can dent a helmet made out of 12ga steel with it. Twenty years of swinging a rattan sword in the SCA tends to leave a bit of muscle memory...

Call 911, then urinate and vomit on yourself, then curl up into the fetal position and wait for help. Extra points for blowing a rape whistle.

Self help is frowned upon here.

At a former job I saw batons come into play during some nice donnybrooks. They did little. A large mag lite on the other hand can bring the pain, big time.

Sounds like I wasn't the only one who was a bouncer at one time. Had a mini baton at one place, a 3 cell maglite at another. Baton was great for it's portability, size, and joint locks. Maglite was great for blinding a person and thumping the bejesus out of them. The only downside was how bulky it was and hard to wield in tight quarters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom