• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any suggestions on making a Mac-11 Cobray into a semi-serviceable weapon?

For as cool of a gun this is in theory, actually firing one is an eye opener. Shot 10 rounds out of my friend's Mac-11, and ten was enough for me to erase any nostalgic thoughts I had about this gun from movies. I was surprised how much the entire contraption rocked back and forth, making it difficult to keep on target. Made me wonder how anyone hits anything with this thing in full auto. I also was able to fully realize the notion of "trigger slap" with that gun.

That said, Large Manufacturing specializes in Mac-11 stuff. They have all sorts of interesting conversions and alternate uppers. The one in the picture below is a .22lr conversion, but I think they have others. I am hesitant in suggesting dumping more money into the platform. I'd take others' advice and just safe it for a while to re-sell at a more opportune time. But if you really wanted to mess with it...

Lainhart.jpg

I think most of us have made a purchase that we have regretted. The trick is to dump it as soon as you can, without losing your ass

look up the concept of Sunk Cost

We've all made a bad decision, dumb gun or bad stock pick. The important thing is to learn from it and not dwell on it and move on. Don't waste time trying to recoup you money, you can't.

Last edited:
Not sure how many different Cobray M-11 models are out there, but there are two on Gunbroker right now for $2k and $2.5k, and the more expensive one looks beat up. Those are insane prices, but leaves the door open for you to put an add up for what you spent.

You paid 1500 for one?

Its times like this id like to know other languages and have a bigger vocabulary. Because I'm at a loss for words... and i feel like that would have more gravitas if the other was true

Depends on the times. I've lusted a few times after one. The trigger slap has kept me away. That and owning an Uzi and hating to shoot that. How can something with such a pip-squeak cartridge (9mm) have that much recoil? Especially when it weighs about 4 billion pounds. LOL.

I've also lusted after a Tec9. There was one right here on this board about 8 seconds before Newtown. I didn't jump. Price tripled overnight. I think it was $500-600. Right before Newtown gun sales were doornail dead. Totally missed out. It's a stupid gun, but growing up with 80's action movies and shows, it is a must-have. ROFL

Depends on the times. I've lusted a few times after one. The trigger slap has kept me away. That and owning an Uzi and hating to shoot that. How can something with such a pip-squeak cartridge (9mm) have that much recoil? Especially when it weighs about 4 billion pounds. LOL.

I've also lusted after a Tec9. There was one right here on this board about 8 seconds before Newtown. I didn't jump. Price tripled overnight. I think it was $500-600. Right before Newtown gun sales were doornail dead. Totally missed out. It's a stupid gun, but growing up with 80's action movies and shows, it is a must-have. ROFL
I had a Tec 9. Jam o'matic. I paid $200 for it. Sold it for $400. So, not too bad

Not sure how many different Cobray M-11 models are out there, but there are two on Gunbroker right now for $2k and $2.5k, and the more expensive one looks beat up. Those are insane prices, but leaves the door open for you to put an add up for what you spent

Fake supressor? Are you trying to pick up dudes at the gay bar?
The Mac-11 appears to be one of the only weapons on the planet for which a false suppressor makes it a more serviceable weapon, by adding weight to the front to keep the nose down, adding someplace to put your other hand, adding an elongated pointer for aiming.

Fake supressor? Are you trying to pick up dudes at the gay bar?
If I owned a shitty semi-auto MAC I would spend the $80 bucks on a faux suppressor off Gunbroker. Put that shit in the classified and make an extra $300 on the sale. That dumb fake can makes that MAC slightly less useless, much better looking and more likely to sell.

I would do both the Thriwell mods and then also go get an MPX or Scorpion Evo. Then get a suppressor that you can use on them (if you are non-MA and otherwise in a suppressor state).

I had one in the 80’s an SWD Cobray 9mm semi auto model, bought from a friend who’s wife didn’t want “ A machine gun” in the house, Paid a whopping $ 300 for it . Took it to the range ONCE , shot maybe 100 rounds thru it . Stuck it in the closet , and the first chance I found a new guy at my night job that was interested in it I sold it for $325.00 . The ONLY firearm I have ever sold. It was horrible to shoot , had a massively stupid trigger pull and had the accuracy of a scud middle in a hail storm. And I own a s Sig Mosquito so I can say I know what qualifies as a POS .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom