Zero Hour turns in pipe bomb builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is exactly why I don't have a problem with what Jim did. What I have a problem with is people getting their panties in a wad because someone is making explosives in their house. Making a bomb is no more dangerous than reloading ammo.

I wish I could say "I trust his judgment", but after watching him give the interview, I didn't get that impression at all.

Which is exactly why I don't have a problem with what Jim did. What I have a problem with is people getting their panties in a wad because someone is making explosives in their house. Making a bomb is no more dangerous than reloading ammo.

If you know what you're doing. Then again we do see these stories from the Middle East where a tragic industrial accident occurred when a home made explosive detonated prematurely.

Or the four kids in the DC area who made a pipe bomb but forgot to drill the hole for the fuse. Which they didn't figure out until after they filled the bomb and screwed on the end caps. You can imagine the fun when they got out the electric drill and started drilling.

Gary

Thank you vellnueve for the admission. No harm no foul I will remove them when I have a faster connection on Monday.

You don't know "the entire story" in that case, either.

I think the distinction between a gun and a pipe bomb is fairly apparent. The former is legal to own (if properly licensed where required); an "infernal machine" like a pipe bomb is not.

Further, the former serves many useful purposes; a pipe bomb does not (absent the outbreak of guerilla/civil war).

I agree. Quite simply what purpose does the pipe bomb serve? Do you really need to blow things up (especially to these proportions) to have a good time??? Pipe bombs have historically been the tools of terrorists and criminals both foreign and domestic. And where praytell was he going to detonate the damn things? In his backyard???? I mean come on, thats why there are laws against these things. It's as legal as it is for most of us to shoot our firearms in our backyards.

the fact of the matter is that he had something illegal and dangerous and more important than that he had multiple devices. What good are laws if we condemn those who refuse to report illegal activities. When somebody speaks about using explosives while intoxicated, somebody is going to get hurt. Better to call proper authorities and remedy the situation than allow it to persist and wait for someone to get hurt.

Laws are the arbitrary product of collective thought. And, as such, are of trivial moral value. We follow many laws just to avoid retribution by the same mob who enacted the foolish things in the first place. To condemn one who reports an illegal activity just because it is illegal is absolutely appropriate.

I agree. Quite simply what purpose does the pipe bomb serve? Do you really need to blow things up (especially to these proportions) to have a good time??? Pipe bombs have historically been the tools of terrorists and criminals both foreign and domestic. And where praytell was he going to detonate the damn things? In his backyard???? I mean come on, thats why there are laws against these things. It's as legal as it is for most of us to shoot our firearms in our backyards.

You just described a Barrett .50 Do you see the logic?

That being said, what business is it of yours as long as he doesn't harm you or your property?

Are you kidding me? Have you ever used detcord before??? Hell of a lot of fun, more fun that shooting.

GUNS were designed to KILL PEOPLE, not to target shoot or kill food.

How do you know where he was going to use them? He was probably blowing them on his 100 acre property in NH... [thinking]

To the board:

That spat of neg reps (or at least the one I'm aware of) was from me. Really bad few weeks, and it just sort of spilled over. Martlet doesn't deserve that, although I disagree with him on just about everything but RKBA. Once the 24 hour queue limit is up, I will be adding those points back.

I will say, though, that all the neg reps I get (I get quite a few) are anonymous. I know it is possible for the administrator to set reps so that everyone can see the username of the person who posts reps, if Derek is interested.

I deserve to get negged for my actions, so please commence. My apologies to Martlet, and please now return to your regularly scheduled trainwreck.

Nice job, a real man owns up to what hes done if later he realizes it wasn't right.

I absolutely hate that. If somebody wants to give neg reps then they should be required to give their name. JMO.

It doesn't bother me if someone negs me and doesn't sign their name. You can usually figure it out anyway.

It's hitting every post in a childish fit that bothered me. I don't even know why it ticked me off. It's not like it made my wife stop loving me or my dog stop snoring.

I agree and a vellnueve gets a point for 'fessing up and keeping a mod from having to rat him out! [wink]

Gary

This thread has a little of everything. Now we give points to people for fessing up to giving someone negative points. [rofl]

I am not saying that one person should avoid choosing not to report certain laws that is up to their own morallity. I sure as hell didn't call the police every time I saw a friend roll a joint when I was in college. However, one condemn a person for following his morallity. It is a two way street. Furthermore, to call this little different than speeding is ridiculous. Let us not forget the man had a stockpile. I feel Mr. Sheppard did was right and commend him for it

Great thread!

I, personally agreed with what Jim did. That said, I also can see both sides of the issue. I was leaning firmly towards Jim in the beginning, but as I read the rest of the comments, I started to assume the middle ground. It's just as someone already said, we all have a certian threshold of "morality" and apparently Jim reached his. Can't blame him for that, in my book. But I also agree what someone does in the privacy of their own home is private business.

If I lived in mASSachusetts still, I would probably do business with ZHA.

Reading the posts was/is like doing crack, you can't help but to keep reading!
When I started reading the posts, the page count was like 7 pages, it just kept multiplying, like ZOMBIES!!?![laugh]

Just my humble .02 cents.

Last edited:
My "bombs" that I reload don't have wicks to ignite them! [rofl]

I don't get your point. If I make a pipe bomb it's as dangerous as a 671gr .50 cal round.

It's not going off until I want it to, it's that simple.

I really see the entire situation as different than the NET/Bass Pro situation. With NET, Ted was, from what the consensus here seemed to be, making an effort to nail the big, new, shiny competition, which had the potential to hurt his own business due to the lack of 3rd gen Glock sales at any other shops. (I won't judge on the mail order ammo thing because the story was never corroborated). He ratted them out because their corporate legal department made a mistake and he stood to gain from it.

But here, Jim Sheppard had nothing to gain. Easton isn't that close to East Bridgewater, clearly not close enough for the explosion of a house to harm him. But, if this guy was a repeat customer who consistently came in acting weird (I believe madmarc0 said he once literally dragged his six year old in the door, whiel drunk), and then boasts about "drunk and boom", then I think Jim made the right choice in following his conscience. It's sort of like that NYC case where the woman was getting raped and all the people were just standing at their windows watching, doing nothing. I'm sure at least some of them feel like shit now. (I know its not a perfect analogy since this is a victimless crime) Jim made his judgement based on the evidence he had and based on whatever principles guides him, and I cannot fault him.

On the other hand, even though I wasn't sure at the time, since the Bass Pro fiasco, I've been by North Attleboro several times, but only to stop at AFS for ammo. I haven't entered NET since that day and don't think I will be doing so again.

Take it for what you will. I don't like setting rules for what I believe and what I don't, I like to take it on a case-to-case basis. In this case, I think I will patronize ZHA in the future should I ever be in the Easton area.

This thread has a little of everything. Now we give points to people for fessing up to giving someone negative points. [rofl]

Yeah. And thanks to Homer for giving me a thousand rep points to make up for it. Only problem is, he doesn't have enough points for any of them to count. [smile]

It's hitting every post in a childish fit that bothered me. I don't even know why it ticked me off. It's not like it made my wife stop loving me or my dog stop snoring.

You gotta understand the context... on other boards I frequent, such tactics are commonplace.

As for the dog snoring, I do have several friends in the vetrinary field...

Come down of your high horse.

I don't feel I'm on a high horse. In fact, I feel it's quite the opposite. I think the "high horse" is someone who wants to restrict another's behavior, even if it's victimless, because he disagrees with it.

You just described a Barrett .50 Do you see the logic?

That being said, what business is it of yours as long as he doesn't harm you or your property?

It's my business that I could be driving down the highway while passing by him with a couple of those pipe bombs in the car and he's on the way to go detonate it in some field.......It goes off while our cars are next to each other because he hits a bump in the road and both of our cars and lives go bye bye. That makes it my business.

Last edited:
It's my business that I could be driving down the highway while passing by him with a couple of those pipe bombs in the car and he's on the way to go detonate it in some field.......It goes off while our cars are next to each other because he hits a bump in the road and both of our cars and lives go bye bye. That makes it my business.

Now they are going to explode from being moved around? I think you've watched one too many CHiPs episodes. Do you stay clear of propane, oil, and gas trucks too?

I don't get your point. If I make a pipe bomb it's as dangerous as a 671gr .50 cal round.

It's not going off until I want it to, it's that simple.

The ammo I load is supposed to BURN the powder... producing gaseous pressure that forces a projectile down a barrel. If my rounds explode I have a big problem. It's simple- a BOMB and a CARTRIDGE are different and have different purposes. Sure, ok there are some similarities. Read the thread a couple dozen ago by US 82... my ammo isn't like that.

The difference being that having a store of gunpower, primers, and ammo go off is much less likely to cause catastrophic damage to adjacent dwellings and people than a bunch of pipe bombs.

It absolutely is my business.
Channel Five News had a clip where you could here one of the pipe bombs being set off by the bomb squad. Unless it was a great distance away it didn't sound very powerful. I wonder how big or powerful these pipe bombs actually were and if any gun powder storage laws were broken?? I personally know a few reloaders who have knowingly broken gun powder and primer storage laws in the past. Too risky for my blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom