• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bomb Squad Called For Cannonballs Found In Waltham

"Foundry Avenue" might get its name from a former foundry on the site. If so, they might have cast cannonballs.
Anyway. no round cannonballs were ever made with percussion fuzes so handling them is not an issue. If they ever had fuzes, you would be able to tell in a glance, as the fuzes were made from zinc and about 1 1/2" across and were time fuzes started after a hole was manually punched in it, exposing the blackpowder train (which was ignited by the discharge of the cannon) the foundry would not have installed fuzes anyway.
These are simply solid hunks of iron and may in fact be iron balls used in rock crushers.

Are you still here? Sigh.

Replying to self as well.

It’s @drgrant not #
He's not anymore, but I'm sure we'll see another sock puppet account from him in another 2 to 3 months or less he might be like the brother of Salem cat or somebody like that there's like this troupe of either elderly drunks / saucers or other people that are on like disability or something, that seem to like making accounts here. They make a new account and they think they're being clever by changing things up a little bit and being slightly lesser faggots initially, but it usually doesn't take long before they revert to their natural state. I think they were all just jealous of GunKid. 🤣

He's not anymore, but I'm sure we'll see another sock puppet account from him in another 2 to 3 months or less he might be like the brother of Salem cat or somebody like that there's like this troupe of either elderly drunks / saucers or other people that are on like disability or something, that seem to like making accounts here. They make a new account and they think they're being clever by changing things up a little bit and being slightly lesser faggots initially, but it usually doesn't take long before they revert to their natural state. I think they were all just jealous of GunKid. 🤣
Lots of sock puppets lately…

And some weird possibly genuine newbs.

"Foundry Avenue" might get its name from a former foundry on the site.
I've sat in a Watertown restaurant at the bar and had a discussion where the other person was incredulous with the thought that Arsenal Mall was once a major arsenal depot. [rofl]

I have these two "cannonballs", anyone know what they are?

View attachment 821921
My dad had a half dozen or so of those. He worked on the road crews in NH (NHDOT) for a few years back in the 60's and when they went to battery operated flashing amber lights they were throwing them away so he grabbed some. I remember he would use them to heat the oil in the crankcase in his tractors in sub-zero weather so they would start. They ran on kero or diesel.

My dad had a half dozen or so of those. He worked on the road crews in NH (NHDOT) for a few years back in the 60's and when they went to battery operated flashing amber lights they were throwing them away so he grabbed some. I remember he would use them to heat the oil in the crankcase in his tractors in sub-zero weather so they would start. They ran on kero or diesel.

The DPW in the town I grew up in actually used them up to the last 70s - I know because around that time I may have "borrowed" a couple (not these) when I was a kid. I remember them doing a project on my street and these were along all the trenches, etc. burning through the night.

I've sat in a Watertown restaurant at the bar and had a discussion where the other person was incredulous with the thought that Arsenal Mall was once a major arsenal depot. [rofl]

No shortage of dumbasses out there.
You should have asked them how Magazine Beach and Powderhouse Park got their names.

I came across this - the story is a year old, but another example of police taking and destroying a harmless artifact.
"The St Johns county sheriff's office came out, took the cannonball and detonated it telling him no pieces were left over."
This was not far from the fort at St. Augustine, Fl.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBzGH02P3nU

I would have kept it. Legal to possess, legal to keep. Probably worth a few hundo.

Back
Top Bottom