• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bomb Squad Called For Cannonballs Found In Waltham

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
The site was once an old Raytheon facility.
I didn't know they made cannonballs.
Last I knew they made and tested radar units there, but they closed up that plant back in the 90's.

Last edited:
The site was once an old Raytheon facility.
I didn't know they made cannonballs.
Last I knew they made and tested radar units there, but they closed up that plant back in the 90's.

Was that part of the "G Complex"?

I worked across the street of G Complex where we built guidance systems (Seyon St). It is now a BJ's.

I didn't think cannonball's were incendiary. Aren't the just solid iron balls?
Some were packed with black powder and equipped with a time delay fuse that resembled a carrot. Rifled muzzleloading cannons firing explosive shells were introduced during the Civil War. Shells were more aerodynamic, offering longer range and greater penetration, while the rifled barrel greatly improved accuracy.

When in doubt, urinate and defecate in one's trousers while screaming hysterically for the cops in a 911 call. That is the only Maura-approved response!
I could maybe do the scream hysterically part, but I can’t deal with peed pants, let alone pooped pants!! I like to operate in comfort…..it’s the only way, for an operator like me!

Some were packed with black powder and equipped with a time delay fuse that resembled a carrot. Rifled muzzleloading cannons firing explosive shells were introduced during the Civil War. Shells were more aerodynamic, offering longer range and greater penetration, while the rifled barrel greatly improved accuracy.
Just ask Gerard Bull (if he were still alive).

IIRC, that's a reference to the Congreve Rockets used by the British, not exploding cannonballs.

"The rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air"

These are basically really large bottle rockets.

Cannon Projectiles of the American Revolution

O Say Can You See: The Bombardment of Fort McHenry.

The line in the Fort McHenry poem likely refers to the bombs from the British bomb vessels. Technically fired from mortars, not cannon, but still round projectiles if I’m not mistaken. Different from the rockets also being used. As I understand it bombs are bombs and rockets are rockets.

Last edited:
I remember as a little kid visiting a friend of mine in Natick there was a bomb factory right down the street from his house. I think it was North Ave maybe. Some small old factory there and we’d go peak in the windows and see dozens of little steel bomb shells hanging from wire racks on the ceiling. Probably were about the size of a football length wise. Was pretty cool to see and at the time was like zero security on the place, old single pain glass on the windows. (I imagine they were just empty shells and no explosives were kept there, but it was the 80’s lol)

Back
Top Bottom