Zero Hour turns in pipe bomb builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
It absolutely is not. I don't need another Dad, thanks. That being said, Jim only saw 1 pipe bomb, according to his interview. One pipe bomb isn't more likely to go off, damage adjacent anything, or cause catastrophic damage than the black powder I have in my basement left over from muzzleloader season.

I like this thread because it makes me realize the struggles I have between libertarian beliefs and traditional values. In this case (and incest) I just can't side with the libertarian perspectives.

I like this thread because it makes me realize the struggles I have between libertarian beliefs and traditional values. In this case (and incest) I just can't side with the libertarian perspectives.

I can. I think what he did was stupid. I think incest is disgusting and immoral. However, they are MY morals. Who am I to force them on you? That doesn't mean I have to like it, or like you for doing it. It's not my business.

I try to apply that to all life scenarios. "How does this affect me?"

M80 are not legal in NH.

Actually, you're right. My mistake. They're banned federally.

WHAT????? Wait a minute...What I was doing by setting off an M-80 must have been illegal then.

IM LUCKY NO ONE GOT KILLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One pipe bomb isn't more likely to go off, damage adjacent anything, or cause catastrophic damage

I have a health respect for pyrotechnics. Many years ago my uncle worked for the Grucci Bros. He was one of the people who did the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade display. Around 1967 or so there was a premature detonation that killed him and another employee on the barge instantly.

I've seen other's with finger blown off while playing with the larger charges. The quality control is lest than acceptable and the burn rate on the fuses can be anywhere from creepy slow to lightning fast. I'll watch from a distance.

I can. I think what he did was stupid. I think incest is disgusting and immoral. However, they are MY morals. Who am I to force them on you? That doesn't mean I have to like it, or like you for doing it. It's not my business.

I try to apply that to all life scenarios. "How does this affect me?"

Great points... however I think something like this:

"Is this the kind of stuff that will make a better world? Does it affect our society?" I repsect privacy and individual freedoms... but I'm not on this planet to please just me. [wink]

I might tend to agree that libertarian views are actually completely simple to understand.

+1. I think incest is disgusting and revolting, but I also think eating ox penis is disgusting and revolting. Should that be illegal?

It depends on who's committing the incest. I think in the case of something like father/daughter, there can still be an abuse of power going on, even if the daughter is past the age of consent. If it's a situation where real consent can be and is given, the law should stay out.

Let me chime in here.

I am more libertarian than most, like Martlet I think if what you are doing only affects you, you should be able to do it. I suppose nobody here made any bombs growing up? [thinking] I find that hard to believe. This guy could be a former EOD Tech and knows how to make and disarm bombs better than the Boston B.S. Who knows who cares.
Just because you have guns doesnt mean you're going to go shoot up a school or drive around the neighborhood shooting mailboxes. And just because there is a law against something doesn't mean it's the right thing. You subjects in MA need a license to have a gun because of a Law, is that right??? Making bombs doesn't make you a killer, if that was true you guys using tannerite are life takers.

I know Jim and I trust his judgement, if Jim felt compelled enough to call the police he had good reason. Jim is NOT a rat and thought what he was doing was the right thing to do. I respect him for that.

This thead is moving fast, please keep it civil. Who ever is leaving negative rep points remember I can see your username. Grow up.

"Is this the kind of stuff that will make a better world? Does it affect our society?" I repsect privacy and individual freedoms... but I'm not on this planet to please just me. [wink]

Nothing wrong with that, but again you're applying YOUR view of a better society to ME. I understand what you're saying, and have struggled with aspects of that as well.

It depends on who's committing the incest. I think in the case of something like father/daughter, there can still be an abuse of power going on, even if the daughter is past the age of consent. If it's a situation where real consent can be and is given, the law should stay out.

Agreed. But just like not blaming the gun for a murder, you can't blame incest for a rape.

I'm glad this shithead was caught. As for Zero Hour,
rats.jpg

I'm only joking. Good going guys

Unlike when Northeast Trading called the Attorney General and ratted on Bass Pro Shops, we don't know the entire story here and may never.

You don't know "the entire story" in that case, either.

I think the distinction between a gun and a pipe bomb is fairly apparent. The former is legal to own (if properly licensed where required); an "infernal machine" like a pipe bomb is not.

Further, the former serves many useful purposes; a pipe bomb does not (absent the outbreak of guerilla/civil war).

Nothing wrong with that, but again you're applying YOUR view of a better society to ME. I understand what you're saying, and have struggled with aspects of that as well.

Well... I DO think my view(s) is correct. [smile] Otherwise I wouldn't think the way I do. Although if you like mint chocolate chip and I only like vanilla that's ok. [wink]

But seriously... if I think something is wrong or immoral how could I possibly think it's ok for someone else??? It's a struggle I still deal with I guess. But I don't want to be a flip flopper either so I'll stick with my views. [smile]

But seriously... if I think something is wrong or immoral how could I possibly think it's ok for someone else??? It's a struggle I still deal with I guess. But I don't want to be a flip flopper either so I'll stick with my views. [smile]

This is exactly why I tend toward libertarianism. I don't know that I'm 100% right in any of my core values. In fact, I'm guaranteed to be wrong on some of my beliefs. So I'll do the best I can for me, and let you do the best you can for you.

You don't know "the entire story" in that case, either.

I think the distinction between a gun and a pipe bomb is fairly apparent. The former is legal to own (if properly licensed where required); an "infernal machine" like a pipe bomb is not.

Further, the former serves many useful purposes; a pipe bomb does not (absent the outbreak of guerilla/civil war).

To you maybe. Just because you don't like to blow shit up doesn't mean I don't. My bomb may just give me as much enjoyment as your SVI.

I used to blow a lot of stuff up and I had a lot of fun doing it.

We still should wait to see what the facts are. Atleast for the sake that we live in a state where a woodchuck gun with a folding stock is an "Assault Rifle".

I used to blow a lot of stuff up and I had a lot of fun doing it.

I lot of us did... mostly as kids I'm sure. Maybe young adults. Maybe not. Would you build pipe bombs in YOUR house with kids living there? Doing it all while DRUNK? I know what my guess is. [wink]

This is exactly why I tend toward libertarianism. I don't know that I'm 100% right in any of my core values. In fact, I'm guaranteed to be wrong on some of my beliefs. So I'll do the best I can for me, and let you do the best you can for you.

So what the heck do you do when you're faced with a decision on who to vote for? Seems like everyone wants to tell you how to live these days.

I lot of us did... mostly as kids I'm sure. Maybe young adults. Maybe not. Would you build pipe bombs in YOUR house with kids living there? Doing it all while DRUNK? I know what my guess is. [wink]

Which is exactly why I don't have a problem with what Jim did. What I have a problem with is people getting their panties in a wad because someone is making explosives in their house. Making a bomb is no more dangerous than reloading ammo.

the fact of the matter is that he had something illegal and dangerous and more important than that he had multiple devices. What good are laws if we condemn those who refuse to report illegal activities. When somebody speaks about using explosives while intoxicated, somebody is going to get hurt. Better to call proper authorities and remedy the situation than allow it to persist and wait for someone to get hurt.

What good are laws if we condemn those who refuse to report illegal activities.

Suppose you don't believe in the laws? I refuse to report a friend of mine who carries occasionally even though he has a restricted permit because he lives in a criminal loving town. That's because I don't believe in that law.

EAST BRIDGEWATER (May 16, 2008) Six people are dead this morning including two East Bridgewater firefighters and two young children following a series of explosions in a colonial home in a quiet East Bridgewater neighborhood. At least six others were reported critically injured.

Police say firefighters were called to the home shortly after 6 p.m. last evening after neighbors reported seeing smoke coming from a basement window.

Firefighters reportedly made entry into the home after receiving no response from inside. About three minutes later, according to witnesses, a series of large explosions tore through the rear of the house , blowing out windows and doors and sending flames a hundred feet into the air.

Large pieces of debris landed several hundred feet away injuring several children in a local playground.

Rescuers were forced to pull back from the house as large explosions continued to rock the neighborhood. A police spokesman said attempts to re-enter the house to attempt save them would have endangered other rescuers and could not be risked.

It was only after dawn this morning that investigators were able to enter the smoldering remains of the mostly collapsed two story house. Inside they found the bodies of the two as yet unidentified firefighters, a man and woman and two children, one of them an infant.

Investigators say they found evidence of a large bomb-making facility in the basement rubble including several undetonated explosive devices.

Police are not releasing the names of the residents of the home pending identification, but neighbors told reporters on the scene that the homeowner had often appeared drunk and bragged of building pipe bombs in his basement.

The neighbors said they never reported the man because he seemed like a nice guy and "really didn't think he was dangerous."

One acquaintance said he had actually seen the bombs the man had been making, but didn't think they would actually work.

The other injured children were transported to area trauma hospitals.

Well said but you forgot;

"The owner of the residence was a licensed gun owner"

Surely this is a fact that would be mentioned in the liberal media. Actually it already was.

the fact of the matter is that he had something illegal and dangerous and more important than that he had multiple devices. What good are laws if we condemn those who refuse to report illegal activities. When somebody speaks about using explosives while intoxicated, somebody is going to get hurt. Better to call proper authorities and remedy the situation than allow it to persist and wait for someone to get hurt.

Phew. I hope I never see you speeding. You could kill someone. I'd have to turn you in "just in case".

There used to be a law against buying alcohol on Sunday.

There is a law that prevents you from purchasing a firearm with out a license.

How is a bomb more dangerous than a loaded firearm?

Which is exactly why I don't have a problem with what Jim did. What I have a problem with is people getting their panties in a wad because someone is making explosives in their house. Making a bomb is no more dangerous than reloading ammo.

Come on Derek. Ammo are NOT bombs and there is a huge difference.

To the board:

That spat of neg reps (or at least the one I'm aware of) was from me. Really bad few weeks, and it just sort of spilled over. Martlet doesn't deserve that, although I disagree with him on just about everything but RKBA. Once the 24 hour queue limit is up, I will be adding those points back.

I will say, though, that all the neg reps I get (I get quite a few) are anonymous. I know it is possible for the administrator to set reps so that everyone can see the username of the person who posts reps, if Derek is interested.

I deserve to get negged for my actions, so please commence. My apologies to Martlet, and please now return to your regularly scheduled trainwreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom