Your parental rights are being removed, doctors to have private talks with kids

I'm not terribly surprised. My doctor has started asking me each time I get my checkup if my wife is abusing me. The first time, I just looked at her quizzically since I couldn't understand how my wife could be abusing me. My doctor went on to state that abuse might be in the form of verbal abuse - that women tend to be more verbally abusive than physically abusive. I tried to explain to my doctor that I could take care of myself. That if I was feeling abused or whatever, I would leave. Nevertheless, each time I go in for a checkup my doctor asks me if I'm being abused.

A lot of you guys have weird doctors. When I go to the doctor, we shoot the shit for 5 mins, he feels my gut putting pressure here and there asking if it hurts anywhere, asks me if I'm having any problems like new or worsening pains etc. He takes my blood pressure, weighs me, listens to my heart and lungs. Then he fills out a lab requisition for me to go get some bloodwork done and a urine sample. Then I go home and see him again a year later. He never asks me weird shit like if I have guns, if my wife beats me, if I have boo boos on my feelings.

If my doctor ever asked me social worker type questions I'd tell him directly to his face that A) I find his questions inappropriate as they're medically irrelevant and B) that his lapse in judgment in even asking me such stupid things has made me lose all faith in him as a medical professional and our patient/doctor relationship has reached its end.

I know things are different from when I was growing up (in the 70's and 80's) but JFC... Back then, if you did something bad enough to warrant being struck by a parent, you knew you ****ed up. I didn't know of anyone (growing up) that was 'abused' by a parent. I was only hit once by my father, and I had to REALLY **** up for that to happen. I also knew where the guns were, where the key to the cabinet was, where the ammo was kept, how to load and fire said guns from a young age.

I can only imagine what my father's reaction to this kind of thing would be. The only thing I know for certain is that it would NOT have been pretty for that doctor. [rofl2]

Whako - I'm assuming that what they're looking for is violence in the home or violent tendencies in any of the occupants (in addition to firearms).
So, what are they going to do with the information they obtain, call DCF? By the time the case gets investigated the child could be dead. A visual inspection of a child's skin, genitalia, or mannerism's during the examination is more than enough evidence to suspect abuse if the person doing the examination is highly trained like a doctor and not a Medical Assistant or CNA. And lets not forget the doctor is a medical professional, not a safety professional, or a bicycle / automobile / firearms expert. All safety related questions are none of their damned business and they should just stick to their profession of medicine. I once asked the doctor how many bottles of alcohol she had in her house and no reply was given because she understood where I was going and also probably felt it was none of my business.

I know things are different from when I was growing up (in the 70's and 80's) but JFC... Back then, if you did something bad enough to warrant being struck by a parent, you knew you ****ed up. I didn't know of anyone (growing up) that was 'abused' by a parent. I was only hit once by my father, and I had to REALLY **** up for that to happen.
<snip>

Not everyone grew up that same way

A lot of you guys have weird doctors. When I go to the doctor, we shoot the shit for 5 mins, he feels my gut putting pressure here and there asking if it hurts anywhere, asks me if I'm having any problems like new or worsening pains etc. He takes my blood pressure, weighs me, listens to my heart and lungs. Then he fills out a lab requisition for me to go get some bloodwork done and a urine sample. Then I go home and see him again a year later. He never asks me weird shit like if I have guns, if my wife beats me, if I have boo boos on my feelings.

If my doctor ever asked me social worker type questions I'd tell him directly to his face that A) I find his questions inappropriate as they're medically irrelevant and B) that his lapse in judgment in even asking me such stupid things has made me lose all faith in him as a medical professional and our patient/doctor relationship has reached its end.

My PCP is the same. No crap, just the 101 stuff, how are you feeling, etc, and off I go. She does insist on the testicular exam though.

She does insist on the testicular exam though.
That's the best part! That's why I picked a pretty female doctor.

I think some of my doctor's questions are due to the fact that I go to major hospital in downtown Boston. My impression is that they aren't her personal questions but questions that the hospital has all of their PCPs ask.

infowars.

that said i do not have children but when i do--as an adult go ahead and try to take them into a room alone without me for five minutes. let me know how it works out for you. hint: poorly.

^This, my kids are never alone with anyone except for family. I even go into their dentist appointments with them and have been in with both of them for x-rays. Call me crazy but I don't trust anyone.

Not to get into the past............. but I wish someone had talked to me alone without my parents. Not all parents are good, my opinion is that in this particular situation, it is indeed for the good of the children.

There's copious examples of "authority figures" abusing their positions and pressuring children into saying whatever they want them to say.

The very fact that the kid is dragged into a room - just them and the 'authority figure' - is enough to make the parents who are doing bad stuff suspicious.

Which means the kid is probably going to get a beating when they get home " what did you tell the doctor!! SMACK!".

So the policy itself is stupid on a number of levels.

If you are unconvinced on the methods thru which authority abuses it's privilege and basically manipulates kids into saying all sorts of nasty stuff - I'd suggest you go do a little a little research on the Fells Acres school case from a few decades back.

The entire country was caught up in a child abuse hysteria.

For those of you outraged by these kinds of questions and circumstances, find new doctors. Don't pay these people to talk to you if you don't like their business practices.

In 20 years when a nationwide scandal regarding widespread pediatric sexual abuse sweeps the nation, the liberals will be screaming, "how could this have happened? We need more government!"

Not going to happen. end of story.
Mines smart enough to tell em MYOFB if someone asks personal stuff anyway, but still ..no.

IF you go to the ER, they will ask you if anyone is hurting you.

Not everyone grew up that same way

I would say not. I don't know anyone that I grew up with like that either, but my parents are in their 60s and have both told me about kids they grew up with who were beat to shit on a regular basis by an alcoholic father. Not that I agree with this doc questioning bs, just saying, to say it doesn't happen is crazy.

I'm not terribly surprised. My doctor has started asking me each time I get my checkup if my wife is abusing me. The first time, I just looked at her quizzically since I couldn't understand how my wife could be abusing me. My doctor went on to state that abuse might be in the form of verbal abuse - that women tend to be more verbally abusive than physically abusive. I tried to explain to my doctor that I could take care of myself. That if I was feeling abused or whatever, I would leave. Nevertheless, each time I go in for a checkup my doctor asks me if I'm being abused.

He has a checklist. Did you ask about flu shot? Did you ask about tetanus shot? Did you ask about abuse? Most of them are employed (read: wage slaves like any other white collar worker) so if they don't fill the checklist, they get a talking to- along the lines of "hmm, I wonder if you like working here, Doctor".

IF you go to the ER, they will ask you if anyone is hurting you.

If you really want your day to go sideways, answer yes. Then have fun trying to explain that you were joking because the question is ridiculous, and enjoy being berated for your insensitivity.

Hint: The correct answer is NOT: Are you kidding? I could kick my wife's ass!

We should have more doctors interogating kids and taking them away from their parents.

Take those poor kids away - and put them into the MA DCF system - that'll teach them to complain!

the good thing about a well behaved 12-17 y/o is they are smart enough to tell the DR "no comment" to all the questions if you tell em to. I am confident my 10 y/o could do this

Not to get into the past............. but I wish someone had talked to me alone without my parents. Not all parents are good, my opinion is that in this particular situation, it is indeed for the good of the children.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!! (You're joking with your reply, yes? Cuz if you're not, then we're in worse shape as legal gun owners than we even realize)

Who the hell is a DOCTOR to talk to my kids about ANYTHING other than their MEDICAL WELL BEING?
Example: I coached my daughter's softball team in little league. Parents entrusted me with their care, their well being during practice and games, trusting me to TEACH THEM ABOUT THE GAME and sportsmanship, etc etc....
Therefore, what you're suggesting is that I should utilize that private time with them to promote MY social and political agenda(s) with them? Take your kids to a dentist and they too should be allowed to interrogate your kids privately as to what transpires in YOUR home, your private home, YOUR kids?????

Surely you're being sarcastic in your reply, cuz I can't fathom any clear thinking NES member thinking it's a good idea for ANYONE to ask our kid(s) about what goes on in our home or to offer their "advice and consent" as to their upbringing, their morals, etc.

How about if I were to ask your kids about how they feel about gay marriage or any other issue of the day, then "advise them" as to how I think they should believe?

And will "Doc" also tell your kids to NEVER DRINK ALCOHOL?? Since MORE INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE KILLED BY DRUNK DRIVERS than by guns EVERY DAY, yet somehow the crowd sitting around Starbucks each morning chatting with Harvard Medical School graduate Doctor DoRight, prior to his office appointments for the day, don't want to talk about that truth, right?

("Guns are BAD, little Johnny or Jane, but if you should grow up, go to the country club with me some day, get royally biffed - and then drive off and kill an entire family of innocent people, well, not to worry...just tell the officer you "Only had a couple of beers"...and they'll go much easier on you than if you had legally shot an intruder breaking into your home trying to rape your mother. Cuz, little Johnny and Jane, I'm a DOCTOR and I say that booze is GOOD TIMES!!...but guns are bad-bad-bad!!!)

If you lets your kids go alone into a room with any form of doctor as a parent, you should be shot yourself.

They will not do this without you allowing it. Wake up and don't be a douchebag and this won't happen.

my PCD lost all credibility with me when she asked the 'seat belt question' and responded honstly.. 75-95% of the time... as a surveyor I do a lot of moveing a truck forward 1 block or arround a parking lot, that kind of stuff. I told her this and she responded in a condisending tone that I should wear it 100% time no matter what... After that I ignored everything she has to say unless its something I ask her about first

Part of my exit interview when I was being discharged from the hospital was, "Do you feel safe at home?"

My reply was something like, "I'm the baddest mofo in the valley. Why wouldn't I feel safe at home?" [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom