Votes: 59 15.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 183 47.9%
  • I don't own one

Votes: 96 25.1%
  • I would never carry a .380

Votes: 44 11.5%

• Total voters
Especially with the advancement of newer technology or so I’m told. Do I feel more secure with a .380? Yes, but like it’s been said before, a 32 in the pocket is better than a bigger gun left at home.
They're mostly the same size now, but thanks to .32's reduced recoil I'm able to be more effective with it in a tiny, light pistol and a shot that hits its target is infinitely better than one that misses.

They're mostly the same size now, but thanks to .32's reduced recoil I'm able to be more effective with it in a tiny, light pistol and a shot that hits its target is infinitely better than one that misses.
One advantage to the PPK is the weight which makes the recoil manageable. At least for me. I can hit a knats ass with it.

View: https://youtu.be/PrLcxqWsM94

What distance do you think you'll be shooting your carry gun from that the recoil difference between .32 & .380 will make the difference in accuracy between hitting and missing the target? If you can shoot one of the two accurately you can shoot the other accurately and if you can't shoot one of them accurately you can't shoot either of them accurately. Whenever I hear someone say they carry one gun over the other because muh accuracy I shake my head. If .32 makes the difference over .380 between you being able to hit the target vs missing it, you need to learn to shoot.

All things being equal (and they rarely are) shootability is the last attribute I look for in a concealed carry gun. Concealability, caliber & capacity come first - I can train to shoot any gun effectively.

I think @drgrant's mental masturbation comment is spot on here.

What distance do you think you'll be shooting your carry gun from that the recoil difference between .32 & .380 will make the difference in accuracy between hitting and missing the target? If you can shoot one of the two accurately you can shoot the other accurately and if you can't shoot one of them accurately you can't shoot either of them accurately. Whenever I hear someone say they carry one gun over the other because muh accuracy I shake my head. If .32 makes the difference over .380 between you being able to hit the target vs missing it, you need to learn to shoot.

All things being equal (and they rarely are) shootability is the last attribute I look for in a concealed carry gun. Concealability, caliber & capacity come first - I can train to shoot any gun effectively.

I think @drgrant's mental masturbation comment is spot on here.
The general distance most shootings take place is less than 7 yards, but we have seen cases where an armed aggressor is further away than that such as two Texas church shootings and the mall shooting this year. In those cases, fast, accurate firing is a difference maker regardless of caliber. We don't get to know when we'd ever need to use a gun for self defense, so the element of surprise is always on the side of the attacker and the basic rule is when you need a gun to defend yourself to have it with you.

An LCP size pistol would likely be my EDC more often than a larger 9mm, so it needs to be something I'm able to be most proficient with at extended distances. The .32's lower recoil gives me an edge the .380 otherwise doesn't. Learning to shoot is a bullshit macho argument you're pulling out because you can't accept anything smaller than a preferred caliber is adequate for defense.

If .32 did not work it would be widely known. The usual troupe with .32 frequently said by most is "it's not very powerful" but that doesn't mean it's not at all capable.

The general distance most shootings take place is less than 7 yards, but we have seen cases where an armed aggressor is further away than that such as two Texas church shootings and the mall shooting this year. In those cases, fast, accurate firing is a difference maker regardless of caliber. We don't get to know when we'd ever need to use a gun for self defense, so the element of surprise is always on the side of the attacker and the basic rule is when you need a gun to defend yourself to have it with you.

An LCP size pistol would likely be my EDC more often than a larger 9mm, so it needs to be something I'm able to be most proficient with at extended distances. The .32's lower recoil gives me an edge the .380 otherwise doesn't. Learning to shoot is a bullshit macho argument you're pulling out because you can't accept anything smaller than a preferred caliber is adequate for defense.

If .32 did not work it would be widely known. The usual troupe with .32 frequently said by most is "it's not very powerful" but that doesn't mean it's not at all capable.
I'll just repeat my earlier post: I think @drgrant's mental masturbation comment is spot on here.

A Beretta Tomcat or an older PPK would work in the cases of longer distances. More velocity than the shorter Seecamp I think. Sites too.

A Beretta Tomcat or an older PPK would work in the cases of longer distances. More velocity than the shorter Seecamp I think. Sites too.
The Tomcat has a wider grip and a good DA/SA trigger to make it a good shooter, but I really dislike them because they're way too fat for a pocket pistol and the design is poor and still has cracking issues.

Kel Tec's .32 is really the pinnacle of carry .32's, light as a feather, but is a locked breech which makes recoil soft. Problem is it has almost no sights and the trigger is that old school long, heavy almost DAO type that was popular in the 90s.

I'm gonna have to pull out my Zastava and compare it in size to the LCP. Definitely heavier, but I don't think it's that much bigger in size. If only Zastava would make a poly frame version of that .32 it would probably be a top option for the caliber.

The Tomcat has a wider grip and a good DA/SA trigger to make it a good shooter, but I really dislike them because they're way too fat for a pocket pistol and the design is poor and still has cracking issues.

Kel Tec's .32 is really the pinnacle of carry .32's, light as a feather, but is a locked breech which makes recoil soft. Problem is it has almost no sights and the trigger is that old school long, heavy almost DAO type that was popular in the 90s.

I'm gonna have to pull out my Zastava and compare it in size to the LCP. Definitely heavier, but I don't think it's that much bigger in size. If only Zastava would make a poly frame version of that .32 it would probably be a top option for the caliber.
GCA '68. They'd have to make it in-country.

My favorite .380 is the G42, but I would really, really like to try the Glock 25 and the 28. From what I've read, one is the size of the G19 and the other is the size of the G26. They're sold in Europe and S. America, but can't be imported here.

Lol for what a 32 is useful for sights aren't even necessary. It's a heavily compromised gun/caliber at best for dealing with a common bad breath distance situation, or a backup/ditching/convenience store run pistol. It's basically better than carrying a rock in your pocket. 🤣 I dunno if the kel tec is similar but i had no trouble making intuitive hits at 30 feet with my seecamp, it point shot very well.

Lol for what a 32 is useful for sights aren't even necessary. It's a heavily compromised gun/caliber at best for dealing with a common bad breath distance situation, or a backup/ditching/convenience store run pistol. It's basically better than carrying a rock in your pocket. 🤣 I dunno if the kel tec is similar but i had no trouble making intuitive hits at 30 feet with my seecamp, it point shot very well.
And what makes .380 better? What, cuz it's biggah? Gee grant, I didn't take you for a size queen.

Remember, I'm not trying to say .32 ACP is better than 9mm, just like I'm not going to say .380 is either, they're all compromised compromises giving up power for size.

There’s more? YouTube is full of them. With no credibility whatsoever.
Yes there are more - I forgot to mention BJ Baldwin as another expert on the reason for competency beyond the 10ft range. All three of these have unimpeachable credibility on that issue.

Using my necromancy to resurrect this thread for reasons.

Wife is getting her LTC. She shoots my Glock 19 when we go to the range. It's about the biggest she is comfortable shooting. Doesn't like my Sig 220 or HK45 nor the G17 (too heavy, too much recoil, too big/bulky). I'm thinking of picking up a Glock 42 in .380 or maybe a Beretta 80x Cheetah (if I can find one in MA). Looking for information on both, but especially the Beretta as I have two Glocks, a 19 and 17, and assume the 42 will just be a little smaller but otherwise the same.

I'm thinking .380 will be a better caliber for her to train/shoot (and carry) for now. I also like the idea of the external safety on the Beretta vs no external safety on the Glock for when she carries. Thoughts?

1695874316989.png

Wife is getting her LTC. She shoots my Glock 19 when we go to the range. It's about the biggest she is comfortable shooting. Doesn't like my Sig 220 or HK45 nor the G17 (too heavy, too much recoil, too big/bulky). I'm thinking of picking up a Glock 42 in .380 or maybe a Beretta 80x Cheetah (if I can find one in MA). Looking for information on both, but especially the Beretta as I have two Glocks, a 19 and 17, and assume the 42 will just be a little smaller but otherwise the same.

I'm thinking .380 will be a better caliber for her to train/shoot (and carry) for now. I also like the idea of the external safety on the Beretta vs no external safety on the Glock for when she carries. Thoughts?

View attachment 800300
I own 3-4 .380 pistols including the Glock. Whatever number it is, I don’t remember and won’t dig through my safe and blow the dust off.

Shooting steel one day with a couple of my .380 pistols and a couple of 9mm and .45 it was night and day.

The .380 barely knocked down the steel. The 9mm that was slightly larger and only a wee bit more recoil knocked it down consistently. The .45 hit harder than both.

For all 3 calibers, recoil wasn’t harsh. A big gun in 9mm recoils less than a small gun .380 and hits much harder.

View attachment 800300

My answer is a non answer of sorts.

Sig P365. My wife carries one everyday, and we have a Glock 42 and Sig P238 to choose from if she so desired.

It also can meet your manual safety requirement.

🐯

Handling (grip comfort, weight, slide manipulation), recoil, follow-up shot accuracy, concealability, comfort and cost are what matters.

I don’t care about stopping power as hit location and number of hits matters more than individual round stopping power. Also, I think with the right defensive ammo, .380 can be effective at close ranges.

She may become comfortable shooting 9 or .45 eventually. For now I think .380 is the way to go.

I"ve never owned a .380 or shot one, but I have shot a 22mag revolver and there was no recoil .

Sakonet River outfitters in tiverton has a number of guns to try out too

Threads like this only means that the classifieds is going to be flooded with people dying to dump their 380s' now.

Last edited:
Handling (grip comfort, weight, slide manipulation), recoil, follow-up shot accuracy, concealability, comfort and cost are what matters.

I don’t care about stopping power as hit location and number of hits matters more than individual round stopping power. Also, I think with the right defensive ammo, .380 can be effective at close ranges.

She may become comfortable shooting 9 or .45 eventually. For now I think .380 is the way to go.

Well if you are set on .380 then Sig does now make the P365-380 which might make the move to a 9mm version more seamless should it later be desired.

🐯

Back
Top Bottom