• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who carries a .380?

Who carries a .380

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 59 15.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 183 47.9%
  • I don't own one

Votes: 96 25.1%
  • I would never carry a .380

Votes: 44 11.5%

• Total voters
Until the Beretta 80X, I had no interest in 380 guns. Now I am itching to get one! Penetration-wise, the differences from 9mm is so small, it's like splitting hairs.
If you can go >10rd for your carry, the modern 380 is a good choice.
If you're in MA, carrying anything over 10rd, even if it's a pre-ban, is an automatic "go to jail" situation. DA will charge you unless you can produce proof. Unless you have an actual receipt from pre-1994, the proof will require the hiring of a firearms expert who can explain that your mag is indeed pre-ban. Experts like that are $$,$$$. Also, if the gun is not on the approved list, "go to jail" again. With that in mind, a 380 is not your best caliber in MA. Neither is 9mm. 45/40/10 gun should be your EDC.

If you're in MA, carrying anything over 10rd, even if it's a pre-ban, is an automatic "go to jail" situation. DA will charge you unless you can produce proof. Unless you have an actual receipt from pre-1994, the proof will require the hiring of a firearms expert who can explain that your mag is indeed pre-ban. Experts like that are $$,$$$. Also, if the gun is not on the approved list, "go to jail" again. With that in mind, a 380 is not your best caliber in MA. Neither is 9mm. 45/40/10 gun should be your EDC.

I seem to remember a case several years ago that involved a mag that held more then 10 rounds being used as a charge against a MA gun owner. I believe it was up to the prosecution to prove that the mag "wasn't" preban and they were not able to do so as it was a Glock mag and there's no discerning feature to prove one way or the other. I believe they ended up dropping the charge.

I may be wrong but I think @Rob Boudrie posted about it.

Until the Beretta 80X, I had no interest in 380 guns. Now I am itching to get one! Penetration-wise, the differences from 9mm is so small, it's like splitting hairs.
If you can go >10rd for your carry, the modern 380 is a good choice.
You might want to lay off the sauce for a day or two.

Nobody is going to jail for carrying something not on the roster. We've got examples of folks not even getting arrested nor charged for defensive shootings. Following Bruen, an LE pro I know was given guidance to look the other way on standard capacity magazines - that's not a guarantee, but it's interesting data.

If widespread they must be worried about court cases they might lose?
Noting it was like August of last year, and it's probably been updated since then...from what he said at the time, they were expecting further guidance soon, and, yes, also wanted to avoid cases they stood to lose.

Back
Top Bottom