Votes: 59 15.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 183 47.9%
  • I don't own one

Votes: 96 25.1%
  • I would never carry a .380

Votes: 44 11.5%

• Total voters
I owned a Beretta 84BB, carried it for years but with the reduction in size of today's 9mm and the lack penetration of the .380 I switched to 9mm. I sold the Beretta to someone on the board here years ago. There is negligible difference in recoil between 9mm and a blow back .380. I suggest checking out the Sig P365, it is offered in both .380 and 9mm

The Shield EZ in 380 (or 9) is also a good one to look at. The problem with 380s generally is that they're often very small framed pistols which makes them harder to hold. The EZ line is bigger without rising to the level of full sized.

As usual, best bet is to get her a chance to shoot a few and try them out.

Using my necromancy to resurrect this thread for reasons.

Wife is getting her LTC. She shoots my Glock 19 when we go to the range. It's about the biggest she is comfortable shooting. Doesn't like my Sig 220 or HK45 nor the G17 (too heavy, too much recoil, too big/bulky). I'm thinking of picking up a Glock 42 in .380 or maybe a Beretta 80x Cheetah (if I can find one in MA). Looking for information on both, but especially the Beretta as I have two Glocks, a 19 and 17, and assume the 42 will just be a little smaller but otherwise the same.

I'm thinking .380 will be a better caliber for her to train/shoot (and carry) for now. I also like the idea of the external safety on the Beretta vs no external safety on the Glock for when she carries. Thoughts?

View attachment 800300
Is that your artwork?
If so, dang..that’s bada$$

I own 3-4 .380 pistols including the Glock. Whatever number it is, I don’t remember and won’t dig through my safe and blow the dust off.

Shooting steel one day with a couple of my .380 pistols and a couple of 9mm and .45 it was night and day.

The .380 barely knocked down the steel. The 9mm that was slightly larger and only a wee bit more recoil knocked it down consistently. The .45 hit harder than both.

For all 3 calibers, recoil wasn’t harsh. A big gun in 9mm recoils less than a small gun .380 and hits much harder.

It’ll depend on the ammo. There has been some good advancements in 380 self defense ammo that helps equalize the difference between 9 and 380.

I found Hornady’s Critical Defense ammo as my preferred carry ammo in 380.

The Shield EZ in 380 (or 9) is also a good one to look at. The problem with 380s generally is that they're often very small framed pistols which makes them harder to hold. The EZ line is bigger without rising to the level of full sized.

As usual, best bet is to get her a chance to shoot a few and try them out.
I agree. Once you get smaller than a G43 you are basically into derringer land. Even the 43 is tiny. So I’ve never seen a need to go smaller and I’d prefer to have 9mm anyway. But everyone’s different.

I carry the Luger LCP Max 380, appendix style (too many things in my pockets).
I did have the common issue with my finger getting pinched in the trigger guard, the Galloway trigger fixed that.
I also put in the heavier outer recoil spring and Tallon grips, which makes it much more comfortable to shoot (seems to tame recoil a bit).

My Kimber micro 380 when paired with Sig V Crown ammo shoots equally (recoil) to my much heavier and larger framed Beretta 9mm Nano. I have thin fingers so even with the Kimbers std capacity "flush" mags i can grip it well . I actually shoot the 380 a bit better than my 9mm , so i prefer edc with the Kimber.

I carry the Luger LCP Max 380, appendix style (too many things in my pockets).
I did have the common issue with my finger getting pinched in the trigger guard, the Galloway trigger fixed that.
I also put in the heavier outer recoil spring and Tallon grips, which makes it much more comfortable to shoot (seems to tame recoil a bit).
I also carry an LCP Max, usually when I have to wear a suit or have my shirt tucked in. I carry strong side pocket in an Alabama Holster pocket holster. It wouldn’t be my first choice but I’d rather have 13 rounds of .380 than nothing.

I’ve seen videos of some guys who carry a Glock 19 in a suit but I just can’t make it work for me.

I also carry an LCP Max, usually when I have to wear a suit or have my shirt tucked in. I carry strong side pocket in an Alabama Holster pocket holster. It wouldn’t be my first choice but I’d rather have 13 rounds of .380 than nothing.

I’ve seen videos of some guys who carry a Glock 19 in a suit but I just can’t make it work for me.
Shoulder holster?

Back when NFGA had Practical Pistol/Tactical Arts Group, I’d pocket-carry a KelTec P32 and do a stage where I’d draw and shoot from the pocket at 4-5yd. I could always put 2-3 shots COM. Most went all the way through the paper target and cardboard backer! (just kidding). That said, not a round I’d like to shoot past 5yd at anyone wearing a heavy jacket.

Clipdraw P365 is very easily concealed (with trigger guard) or P3AT clipdraw/trigger guard if going more threadbare.

All I carry are 380s. DB is probably the most reliable out of the box cheap pistol. Glock took a bit of tweaking to get it right but have 1000s of rounds through both. House gun is a 12 gauge

Attachments

• 5FA64333-FC54-4F1D-B463-5ECD721E5AF7.jpeg
    5FA64333-FC54-4F1D-B463-5ECD721E5AF7.jpeg
    743.3 KB · Views: 21
  • D896AEA7-1FCF-44F3-A0F1-EFD58DF438D3.jpeg
    D896AEA7-1FCF-44F3-A0F1-EFD58DF438D3.jpeg
    824.5 KB · Views: 21
I still need some convincing on the .380

Are there any good youtube videos regarding ballistics on this cartridge?
There are some good recent videos. But the summary is that they can penetrate expand enough to be effective and allow for better shot placement in a small gun due to recoil being softer. As a house gun I would only do 380 if I could not handle the recoil of a nine or better. But as a carry gun many people curious 380 instead of nothing.

There are some good recent videos. But the summary is that they can penetrate expand enough to be effective and allow for better shot placement in a small gun due to recoil being softer. As a house gun I would only do 380 if I could not handle the recoil of a nine or better. But as a carry gun many people curious 380 instead of nothing.
What about during winter months if a perp has a jacket or heavy clothing on? Penetration issues?

Back
Top Bottom