• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where did you buy your first gun?

My first HANDGUN, was a Firestar M43 in 9mm. I purchased it at Richie's Repair in Philipston, MA. I really miss that place.

My first shotgun, Mossberg 500, was purchased at Dick's. First handgun, Walther P22, was purchased at Wayne's Weponary.

First "non-issued firearm"...personally owned was bought recently down at BassPro, a Walther P99 AS .40 S&W....many more to follow!....first issued firearm in service was M249 SAW...dont think I'll be gettin anymore of them!

Sig 229 from Costa's Sporting Goods in Raynham ( now C&F guns in Middleboro). Bought in 1998 for $520, used but in great condition. Sold it a few years later for needed $$, wish i still had it, you always remember your first........

Given a 20ga when I was 12, but the first thing I bought myself was a Marlin model 60 22LR from Wal-Mart; still one of my favorites.

My first rifle was from a closet store in Emmittsburg, MD - literally a closet sized room - of course I didn't really buy it - as my dad did. The first gun I purchased would be a Remington 870 from Best Co in Rockville MD. I was working there over the summer while in college - they were getting out of firearms - clearance price minus employee discount was something like $85.

With the "Where did you grow up" thread well over 120 posts, I thought I'd start something more relevant (read: near and dear to our hearts!): Where did you buy your first gun, and what was it?

I'll start:
I bought my first gun, a S&W Model 19 (.357 Magnum) with a 4" barrel, from J&J guns in Bayonne, NJ.
I was living in Somerville, MA. at the time and my first gun was a Ruger 1022 recommended by my dad and I must say he was right! Bought it at Roach's Sporting Goods in Cambridge, MA.

First Handgun: Sig Sauer P239 9mm at Four Seasons
First Rifle: CMP Kimber Model 82 .22LR from a coworker
First AR: RRA Lower with Compass Lake Engineering service rifle upper from a fellow club member

My first gun was acquired in a trade for a motorcycle that I paid 50 bucks for. a Remington Model 710 chambered in .30-06. That was in AZ last year while I was out attending school.

In 1958 I bought my first rifle at Sears. a Sears ( by Stevens ) bolt action .22.
I was just 16 My mother drove me up and I went in and bought it and walked out with ammo.
In 1998 or so I found out that same gun now made me illeagal to walk out in my back yard because I did not have a FID card.
And I couldn't even buy ammo for it!!! And 1 year min. jail sentence if cought.
I of course then got my LTC and all was well again.
Over the years since 1958 I had many guns and was even on the Special Police for 10 years with no permitts.
OOPs I didn't mean to ramble here!!!

Last edited:
WW II .303 Enfield from a large sporting goods in Chicago in 1960 for $9.95... went in half with my brother. My share was $4.95. it got me started and after many years and guns I gave it to my father.

I don't remember the name of the shop, but my first gun was a single shot 12g purchased from a store on route 9 in Framingham across from where Trader Joe's and Walgreens is now. This was probably 1994; they have been out of business for quite a while.

I don't remember the name of the shop, but my first gun was a single shot 12g purchased from a store on route 9 in Framingham across from where Trader Joe's and Walgreens is now. This was probably 1994; they have been out of business for quite a while.

Lew Horton's retail store. Now a ski mart or some such.

Alstead Gun Shop in NH - Winchester Ranger 12ga, 3 chokes, shot and slug barrel. Still own, it's right over there next to my dresser.

Back
Top Bottom