we've probably hashed this to death

Overall I like the 45 ACP round and love the 1911 platform. I even carried a 3” Kimber 1911 for a while. The problem was that I never could get used to carrying cocked and locked. Finally gave up on it after a bit because of it.
[honest.

It bothers me too if I'm homest. I don't think there's a real right answer when it comes to personal carry. Each person has to be comfortable with their choice.

I prefer striker fired guns with no external hammers and no external safeties to have to fidget with.

I seem to enjoy shooting them more as well. A lot of my SA/DA pistols don't see a lot of love these days. Except the 92fs. That thing still does it for me after all these years.

I'm thinking about selling a couple to make room.

It bothers me too if I'm homest. I don't think there's a real right answer when it comes to personal carry. Each person has to be comfortable with their choice.

This. The best carry gun is the one you'll carry. You're better off carrying a POS Bodyguard if that's what you're able to manage rather than not carrying because you don't think the gun is perfect. Went through this w/ my office manager who loved her P238 but didn't like carrying cocked & locked so didn't carry much. I gave her a BG for Xmas one year and she carries it all the time now whether it be pocket, belly band, IWB or purse.

Shame that you are giving up the knowledge of one of the best instructors in the country because of that. Grow the F up

Oooh!

Bill Hader Snl GIF

We got a tough guy here.

Shame that you are giving up the knowledge of one of the best instructors in the country because of that.
I took LFI-1 and LFI-2 from Ayoob back when he taught in NH at Pioneer in Dunbarton, so I've probably got more experience in Ayoob's training than the majority of folks on NES. There are some things that Ayoob does very well -- in particular his training on when you can and can not use deadly force, and how to interact with the police.

In terms of his training on marksmanship, these days there other instructors that do it better.

Last edited:
I've never actually fired a Hi Power.

I fire that thing better than anything else I've ever picked up. Just a great balance of length, mass, ergonomics, and recoil. A BHP gets about 75% of my carry time now.

The bonus is that all my BHPs fit in all my 1911 holsters (N82).

Last edited:
I took LFI-1 and LFI-2 from Ayoob back when he taught in NH at Pioneer in Dunbarton, so I've probably got more experience in Ayoob's training than the majority of folks on NES. There are some things that Ayoob does very well -- in particular his training on when you can and can not use deadly force, and how to interact with the police.

In terms of his training on marksmanship, these days there other instructors that do it better.
When I first learned to shoot handgun, 30 years ago, my dad, an instructor, took me to the range, and instilled more than just the basics over many range sessions. A lot of focus on use of deadly force, not just marksmanship. At the time, he was a recent graduate also of LFI 1, 2, (3 iirc? ) also in NH. He and Mas became friends and worked together on a few published articles. I still have my copy of In The Gravest Extreme, signed by Ayoob.
I have the highest respect for the guy and read his segment every month in American Handgunner.
And the .45 1911 my Dad used for LFI is mine now and I will keep it until my son is ready.

Capacity isn't an issue when you have 13+1 in a package around the size of a Glock 19. I used to carry it primarily until I got into calibers that didn't start with 4. That being said, I more often carry my Glock 23 than I do my Glock 19...

Para P13.jpg

Shame that you are giving up the knowledge of one of the best instructors in the country because of that. Grow the F up

Lol best? Is his advice useful yes sometimes if it's taken with a grain of salt or I should say a handful of salt. One of the problems with his legal pontification is just that he tends to speak about extremes as if it's something that's actually regular when the viewer or listener really needs to self calibrate that against reality. Reality is fortunately more boring than the Ayoob glue sniffer universe. A lot of that universe is eructated on gun boards as pure universal fact vs an informed opinion. I also think at some level it creates irrational fears in people that have difficulty formulating their own opinions or worldviews. "Ehrmagerd I will never modify a trigger on a self defense handgun because it will send you to jayle if you ever had to use it to defend yourself" etc, etc ad nauseam. If you want a fun homework assignment find a bunch of masses old articles and then find the elephant in the room that he left on the table and every scenario he lays out. There's usually at least one.

Lol! When was it manufactured if you don’t mind me asking? Mine shoots quarter sized groups at 25 yards…
You either hit the lottery of having a good tolerance stack or you bought a used gun that was reworked. A lot of them actually will shoot pretty well after they've been worked over, but the whole thing is usually a Fool's errand these days, a lot of the parts will need replacement. That said I have witnessed the things you describe but those seem to be more like exceptions rather than the rule. Para had always been a QC rollercoaster company, much like Kimber but on average way worse. Before the company basically disappeared, they were basically just churning out piles of hot garbage.

@Nick Fury as examples I have a couple of friends that have p12s and p14 that were in straight configuration (not LDA trash) that had good luck with them but a lot of their guns were basically hot garbage especially at the end.

Like this f***ing thing. This is easily one of the top 10 worst guns manufactured in the past 20 years.

10-0218106__35137.jpg

Literally these guns are so f***ing bad that a high point 45 is a Masterpiece theater of engineering excellence compared to this thing.

Even obvious clunkers like the Ruger P345 are way better guns than these. The shithog is usually a 2 to 4 shot derringer on a good day. Actually its worse because you could probably reload a derringer faster than it would take to clear the jam it produces. 🤣

ETA: As an interesting side note I don't even see used shithogs showing up in gun shops anymore. Probably because nobody will give money for them at all. 🤣

Lol best? Is his advice useful yes sometimes if it's taken with a grain of salt or I should say a handful of salt. One of the problems with his legal pontification is just that he tends to speak about extremes as if it's something that's actually regular when the viewer or listener really needs to self calibrate that against reality. Reality is fortunately more boring than the Ayoob glue sniffer universe. A lot of that universe is eructated on gun boards as pure universal fact vs an informed opinion. I also think at some level it creates irrational fears in people that have difficulty formulating their own opinions or worldviews. "Ehrmagerd I will never modify a trigger on a self defense handgun because it will send you to jayle if you ever had to use it to defend yourself" etc, etc ad nauseam. If you want a fun homework assignment find a bunch of masses old articles and then find the elephant in the room that he left on the table and every scenario he lays out. There's usually at least one.

So many words, so much fail.

You can lead a horse to water….

Back
Top Bottom