we've probably hashed this to death

The only advantage the .45 has over 9mm is that it makes a bigger hole. That's it. It loses when it comes to capacity, gun size, weight, recoil, ammo cost...
But bigger holes bleed out bad guys faster. Even if they only pass out from blood loss, its stops the fight and that works for me. Don't get me wrong. I have my share of 9mm handguns but I respect the 45acp's ability to end a conflict.
With the way things are and may become here in Ma. with these new laws I'll bet that the 45acp will see increased interest. If 10 round capacity becomes the new rule here and pre ban magazines are no more I'll take 10 rounds of 45acp please.

Highest capacity pistols I know in .45 are Glock and FN and H&K. The only .45's that ever interested me were the Ruger P90, Beretta Px4, and Hi Point. I'm more interested in a .45 ACP in a revolver than sn auto.

But bigger holes bleed out bad guys faster. Even if they only pass out from blood loss, its stops the fight and that works for me. Don't get me wrong. I have my share of 9mm handguns but I respect the 45acp's ability to end a conflict.
That sounds great, but there is no data to back that up.
With the way things are and may become here in Ma. with these new laws I'll bet that the 45acp will see increased interest. If 10 round capacity becomes the new rule here and pre ban magazines are no more I'll take 10 rounds of 45acp please.
The thing is, if you are limited to 10+1, 9mm fits in a much smaller, easier to carry gun than 45 ACP. My 10+1 43x is much easier carry than my 8+1 1911s.

My EDC is a S&W Shield in .45. It happens to be a round I shoot the best with. 9mm always feels like a snap that pushes my muzzle up for lack of a better description and the 45 feels like a push straight back. That could be because the frame size fits my hand better or some other factors. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter.

Even if that's true (and I don't know), modern 9mm ammo doesn't just make a 9mm-sized hole. The right kind of ammo can turn a little bullet into a spinning shuriken of death inside the body, inflicting many internal wounds that bleed out plenty fast. Then there's modern ballistics, which tells us that faster bullets are more dangerouser.

Using your logic, .455 Webley would still be a better choice than .45 ACP. It's not, if it ever was.

but how come no one shows any love for .45 acp? yeah, yeah, i get it. some people think the cartridge is obsolete. i don't. i don't mind going against the grain. i like the big heavy bullet lumbering towards it's target with all that kinetic energy. damn! i don't carry it with any regularity, i use to though... and people forget it was a decent and accurate target round. i shot a gold cup for several years in the nra 3 gun matches in boston. much fun, too. i have a ton of respect for the round.

take down power?? 230 gr. lead or jacketed rn ammo going low and slow would save the day, what do you all think? if you care to share a pic of your delivery systems, by all means put the pic up. anything new and different makes the world go around. one of my favorite .45 acp's is the sig 220. a great gun imo. i've had mine 30 years and it's still ticking. a fun gun to shoot, too. so, lets hear from you all.
My favorite bone buster - carried a 1911 Remington Rand in VN and now in Alaska for bear protection a R11. But I do switch to a new SA-35 as the mag is the insurance policy. The Italian mags are worth the extra coin when in 9mm whereas the 45 seems impervious.

The thing is, if you are limited to 10+1, 9mm fits in a much smaller, easier to carry gun than 45 ACP. My 10+1 43x is much easier carry than my 8+1 1911s.

Who needs data. Logic works well for most. Bigger hole, faster bleed.

My 3" 1911's carry very easily and have been totally reliable.

Last edited:
Even if that's true (and I don't know), modern 9mm ammo doesn't just make a 9mm-sized hole. The right kind of ammo can turn a little bullet into a spinning shuriken of death inside the body, inflicting many internal wounds that bleed out plenty fast. Then there's modern ballistics, which tells us that faster bullets are more dangerouser.

Using your logic, .455 Webley would still be a better choice than .45 ACP. It's not, if it ever was.
45acp doesn't just make 45acp size holes either. I carry 45acp Winchestet Ranger in my .45's. Lucky gunner test results show that this bullet expands to 1". In fairness when I carry 9mm I use 147 gr. Winchester Ranger as well. It expands nicely in the same tests but not to 1".

i subscribe to the limited capacity = heavier bullets theory
Looking at missing and presumed killed statistic for VN this morning on a look see for a friend - always gets my pulse rate up. When you have a multitude of enemy an automatic 15 shooter seems weak and a revolver isn't out of the game if a case sticks in the tube. Can't have too many options.

My favorite bone buster - carried a 1911 Remington Rand in VN and now in Alaska for bear protection a R11. But I do switch to a new SA-35 as the mag is the insurance policy. The Italian mags are worth the extra coin when in 9mm whereas the 45 seems impervious.
I carried a 1911 Remington Rand as well in Nam.

Even if that's true (and I don't know), modern 9mm ammo doesn't just make a 9mm-sized hole.
Let's not pretend that the same tech that improved the 9mm didn't apply to the .45 - it did and that's why .45 expands to almost a full inch. The .45 is marginally more affective, I don't see how you could argue otherwise; it's the other factors that all go against it (size, weight, cost, recoil).

Let's not pretend that the same tech that improved the 9mm didn't apply to the .45 - it did and that's why .45 expands to almost a full inch. The .45 is marginally more affective, I don't see how you could argue otherwise; it's the other factors that all go against it (size, weight, cost, recoil).
Although when I carry a 3 " 1911 I don't notice any weight difference even though there is a bit of a difference its minimal really. We've all fired 45acp for the most part. In fairness 45acp recoil isn't a big deal. 9 mm is snappy. 45acp is rearward push that I find more acceptable than snappiness. I do carry 45acp as well as 9mm though. Then again I carry a snubby sometimes as well. Like most of us what I plan to do determines what I carry.

Meh. I still think it's mostly a wash.

I will say this..... a lot of JHPs suck a lot less than they did 20-25 yrs ago, they are much more /reliable/ expanders now. That's the biggest result of the improvements. It used to be more like 80% of the JHP ammo on the market was trash that turned into bad ball ammo, now it's almost an inversion.

45acp doesn't just make 45acp size holes either. I carry 45acp Winchestet Ranger in my .45's. Lucky gunner test results show that this bullet expands to 1". In fairness when I carry 9mm I use 147 gr. Winchester Ranger as well. It expands nicely in the same tests but not to 1".

I'm not "arguing otherwise." You must have missed the post where I said how much I love .45ACP, and where I carry it often.

All I said is that modern defensive 9mm is plenty lethal, given good ammo selection. I don't see how that's a particularly hot take. Sure, .45 is plenty lethal too, no matter what ammo you use. But "bigger hole means more lethal" doesn't necessarily apply: it's why a minie ball in 1865 makes a less lethal wound than 5.56 NATO from 1965.

I'm not debating what you think I'm debating. Carry what you want; not everything's an argument aimed at Your Favorite Things.

In the end, carry whatever you want. Why does everyone else have to be convinced that you're making the best possible choice ever?
Oh, come on! What's the fun in writing something that makes total sense, logical, and is obvious?
Where is the intrigue? Where is the triggering of Broc or Pappy? Where is over-the-top bull$h1t?

Back
Top Bottom