we've probably hashed this to death

but how come no one shows any love for .45 acp? yeah, yeah, i get it. some people think the cartridge is obsolete. i don't. i don't mind going against the grain. i like the big heavy bullet lumbering towards it's target with all that kinetic energy. damn! i don't carry it with any regularity, i use to though... and people forget it was a decent and accurate target round. i shot a gold cup for several years in the nra 3 gun matches in boston. much fun, too. i have a ton of respect for the round.

take down power?? 230 gr. lead or jacketed rn ammo going low and slow would save the day, what do you all think? if you care to share a pic of your delivery systems, by all means put the pic up. anything new and different makes the world go around. one of my favorite .45 acp's is the sig 220. a great gun imo. i've had mine 30 years and it's still ticking. a fun gun to shoot, too. so, lets hear from you all.
As you might imagine, I've shot a lot of 45 ACP. I shoot very little of these days and mostly carry a 9mm. I get more capacity in a smaller, lighter gun that more easily mounts a red dot. As I get older and weaker, I find that I can control 9mm recoil easier than 45 ACP recoil.

I tried a P220. Meh, not my taste at all.

Last edited:
but how come no one shows any love for .45 acp? yeah, yeah, i get it. some people think the cartridge is obsolete. i don't. i don't mind going against the grain. i like the big heavy bullet lumbering towards it's target with all that kinetic energy. damn! i don't carry it with any regularity, i use to though... and people forget it was a decent and accurate target round. i shot a gold cup for several years in the nra 3 gun matches in boston. much fun, too. i have a ton of respect for the round.

take down power?? 230 gr. lead or jacketed rn ammo going low and slow would save the day, what do you all think? if you care to share a pic of your delivery systems, by all means put the pic up. anything new and different makes the world go around. one of my favorite .45 acp's is the sig 220. a great gun imo. i've had mine 30 years and it's still ticking. a fun gun to shoot, too. so, lets hear from you all.
I don't believe in knockdown power bullshit unless we're just talking about bowling pins then 45 ACP remains supreme. I still buy 45s out of nostalgia and a general respect for the cartridge.... and also I still like 1911's even though they're kinda shitty, and if you're going to run a 1911. .. 45 ACP is the best caliber you can get it in....

My Tisas is in the carry rotation and I appreciate the quality and look of a nice 45. Have several....though I've thinned a bit. I shoot a fair bit of ACP.

I mostly carry a 9mm full size Glock or the 9mm Mossy when night sights are needed. Or the G22....out of respect for the .40 cartridge. :oops:

As you might imagine, I've shot a lot of 45 ACP. I shoot very little of these days and mostly carry a 9mm. I get more capacity in a smaller, lighter gun that more easily mounts a red dot. As I get older and weaker, I find that I can control 9mm recoil easier than 45 ACP recoil.

I tried a P220. Meh, not my taste at all.
My first handgun was a P220 I love it.. learning to shoot with a 45 is great because when you go to p226/p229 in 9mm is like shooting .22.

And this is the reason 40 is gay among
other reasons

My first handgun was a P220 I love it.. learning to shoot with a 45 is great because when you go to p226/p229 in 9mm is like shooting .22.
I had a 226. I sold it and don’t miss it. It was another fun that just didn’t work for me. YMMV.

EDCd a VP9 for about 4 years, then bought an HK45 LEM variant. Been carrying that since, IWB year round with no issues.

Being in MA, the capacity is the same as the VP9, and it isn't much larger size wise. Little extra weight, but nothing that isn't manageable for me.

In the end, I found that I shoot it better than my VP9 or the other 9s I have around, not that I had issues with the VP9. The 45 just feels better for me.

I had a 226. I sold it and don’t miss it. It was another fun that just didn’t work for me. YMMV.
Adding the trigger kit to it makes it better if you only have the base model.

I really like the x5 but is a target gun and expensive. Single action only

I don’t notice any significant difference between -45 ACP and 9mm in recoil. I actually shoot .45 better at the range. I can nail steel at 100 yards with my stock Glock 21.

I normally carry a 9mm just because those tend to be the best CC size pistols. I do have a smallish 45 I throw in the mix once in a while
As I posted above.

Try shooting against a timer with a red dot.

.45 will cause the dot to leave the window and take longer to get back on target.
With 9mm the dot stays in the window and follow up shots are quicker.
If you are trying to be really fast you put a compensator on your 9mm to limit recoil even more.

As I posted above.

Try shooting against a timer with a red dot.

.45 will cause the dot to leave the window and take longer to get back on target.
With 9mm the dot stays in the window and follow up shots are quicker.
If you are trying to be really fast you put a compensator on your 9mm to limit recoil even more.
Yeah I don’t really get that crazy. I have never even tried a red dot on a pistol. I’m just talking about poking holes in paper and ringing steel for fun.

I used to carry a 1911 or an Officers exclusively. There's no gun I own that has ergonomics more natural to my hand.

But then I discovered the BHP, which I shoot a little better. So that's my current go-to. But I still haul my .45s around every now and then, when the mood strikes. .45 ACP is an outstanding round.

Adding the trigger kit to it makes it better if you only have the base model.
I didn’t try that, but probably should have. I also found the grip to be a bit blocky, but different grip panels might have improved that.

Among DA/SA guns, the one that I really like is my Shadow 2.

My favorite EDC is a P220 Compact with the short reset trigger and factory melt job. It's a great fit for me vs any other compact and shooting it accurately is instinctive. I'm good with its capacity when loaded with + HP defensive ammo.

I have plenty of 9's but prefer the thud of the 45 recoil vs the snap of a 9mm.

@drgrant - If 45 is best for clearing pins why not bad guys?
[devil]

I guess I'd rather be shot once with 45 than twice with 9mm, but I'd rather be shot three times with 9mm vs once with 10mm.

@drgrant - If 45 is best for clearing pins why not bad guys?
[devil]
Cross section of bullet and mass vs the material it hits. 9mm tends to shoot through pins on poor hits, 45 ACP tends to catch more of the material on poor hits and generally transfers energy better. Energy transfer =/= wounding potential however. Bowling pins are way different from "meat" or balgel, or humans for that matter. 🤣

I like 45 ACP too but i harbor no great belief its that much better than 9mm.

I didn’t try that, but probably should have. I also found the grip to be a bit blocky, but different grip panels might have improved that.

Among DA/SA guns, the one that I really like is my Shadow 2.
The trigger kits real cheap and then you just have to know how to use it. It’s just a short reset .
Makes a huge difference inside the side accuracy.
The grips are hit or miss it depend which year it was manufactured I’m not a fan of the newer ones

And the more expensive models they have wood grips.. a lot of people don’t like that, but on a more higher end gun, it doesn’t matter they’re all far more accurate for competition purposes.

I like my equinoxes it comes in wood or rubber grip. I prefer the wood and it’s nice to go to a store or pick the particular one because some of the wood is beautiful. Unfortunately, my wood cracked one time and the replacement grip look like shit.

.45 is my favorite pistol caliber to shoot. My favorite to reload. Not my favorite to carry…

other reasons
Mine too. 35 years ago when ergonomics wasn’t really a thing I was like a virgin getting some for the first time. I had to have it. Paid $800 in the early 90’s. Stupid money for a pistol back then. Couldn’t hit shit with it. It was a bad breakup. Several years later I hooked up with a Para Ordinance P-14 and took a more mature stance in the relationship. Yes I got one of the good ones. We are married to this day…

Over the years I’ve had a few subcompact mistresses and even the slam pig Glock 21. They are all gone now and I don’t miss any of them. But that double stack 1911 with a rubber combat grip I can hang out in the sack all day long. My experience with the .45 has been nothing but a love affair…

other reasons
You just never had a proper gun. SIG guns are designed by college interns who've never held a gun. So who's more gay, you and your SIGs or the rest of us who know what a real gun is?

I will tell you I have no love from a Mac 10 in 45 full auto.. thing is useless unless you want to buy the rifle uppers for it. But what do I know I’ve never owned a real gun

.45 Will always be my favorite pistol caliber.
I just prefer carrying my .357 and 9 mm.. extended mags for a 45 single stack are retarded

Back
Top Bottom