• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

we've probably hashed this to death

greencobra

NES Member
but how come no one shows any love for .45 acp? yeah, yeah, i get it. some people think the cartridge is obsolete. i don't. i don't mind going against the grain. i like the big heavy bullet lumbering towards it's target with all that kinetic energy. damn! i don't carry it with any regularity, i use to though... and people forget it was a decent and accurate target round. i shot a gold cup for several years in the nra 3 gun matches in boston. much fun, too. i have a ton of respect for the round.

take down power?? 230 gr. lead or jacketed rn ammo going low and slow would save the day, what do you all think? if you care to share a pic of your delivery systems, by all means put the pic up. anything new and different makes the world go around. one of my favorite .45 acp's is the sig 220. a great gun imo. i've had mine 30 years and it's still ticking. a fun gun to shoot, too. so, lets hear from you all.

It's just another option - one that's still on the table (and possibly the only one on the table) depending on the gun in question.

45 is the best mainstream cartridge other than the magnums, but 9mm has nearly the same performance and higher capacity.

I recommend 9mm if high capacity is available, but if capacity is limited, 45.

Once the weather gets a little warmer, I expect I'll be using a lot more of it (and I'm guessing recoil won't be much of an issue)!

full

Frank

I'll buy capacity, and cost to a point... but recoil?
Try shoot against a timer with a red dot.

.45 will cause the dot to leave the window and take longer to get back on target.
With 9mm the dot stays in the window and follow up shots are quicker.
If you are trying to be really fast you put a compensator on your 9mm to limit recoil even more.

Recoil and speed of follow up shots.
I don’t notice any significant difference between -45 ACP and 9mm in recoil. I actually shoot .45 better at the range. I can nail steel at 100 yards with my stock Glock 21.

I normally carry a 9mm just because those tend to be the best CC size pistols. I do have a smallish 45 I throw in the mix once in a while

I do shoot more 9mm but only because the only .45 I had were 1911's. I wanted to shoot more .45 (I have way more reloads left in .45ACP than 9mm) so I went out a few weeks ago and grabbed a Gen5 Glock 21 MOS. No way I am going to pay for 13 round prebans but even with 10 rounds I like shooting it. I put a leftover Vortex Viper on it for now but may upgrade to something newer. Side note is it's a bitch picking up basic parts for the Gen5 G21's. I normally throw Lone Wolf barrels in my 9mm Glocks but I found out this week they do not have any barrels yet for a Gen 5 G21. I managed to find most of the other little parts I was looking for but took some digging.

I love .45, there's nothing more that I enjoy shooting than a 1911, but the pistol takedown/stopping power argument is largely moot until you get to the larger bore calibers starting in 4 or 5. I don't have the reference but I recall reading an FBI chart that showed it took the same average number of shots (3.something) to disable someone with the commonly available pistol calibers from .380 to .45ACP. If knock down power is out of the picture then you go with capacity, price, availability, etc. 9 seems to be the sweet spot when it comes to the number of gun options, availability, price & capacity. 9 is a relatively anemic caliber but let's be honest, .45 isn't knocking anyone down either. A handgun is useful for getting to your rifle and because you can walk around w/ one concealed in your pants, that's about it IMO.

I love .45, there's nothing more that I enjoy shooting than a 1911, but the pistol takedown/stopping power argument is largely moot until you get to the larger bore calibers starting in 4 or 5. I don't have the reference but I recall reading an FBI chart that showed it took the same average number of shots (3.something) to disable someone with the commonly available pistol calibers from .380 to .45ACP. If knock down power is out of the picture then you go with capacity, price, availability, etc. 9 seems to be the sweet spot when it comes to the number of gun options, availability, price & capacity. 9 is a relatively anemic caliber but let's be honest, .45 isn't knocking anyone down either. A handgun is useful for getting to your rifle and because you can walk around w/ one concealed in your pants, that's about it IMO.
Um my sign in my garage states .45 since shooting twice is silly

So... yeah it's got stopping power

Back
Top Bottom