we've probably hashed this to death

1. I love hash.

2. St PAddy's day is coming up. Meaning my home-made from-scratch corned beef dinner the Sat before St P's. And it means my home-made hash the Sunday before St P's. One of our favorite days of hte year.

3. It's all a big-ass circle. Wait until about 6-7 years from now when people will be scarfing up Fo-Tee pistols and buying expensive ammo for them. Just wait. What goes around comes around. Shoot what you want.

Someone should invent a round that sits somewhere between the 9mm and the .45. It would have the best characteristics of both cartridges.

Yup, .40 sounds just about right! [smile]
Lol! When was it manufactured if you don’t mind me asking? Mine shoots quarter sized groups at 25 yards…

Mine is a tack driver too. Never had a problem with it shooting several thousand rounds, but it's been a safe queen for years now.

You either hit the lottery of having a good tolerance stack or you bought a used gun that was reworked. A lot of them actually will shoot pretty well after they've been worked over, but the whole thing is usually a Fool's errand these days, a lot of the parts will need replacement. That said I have witnessed the things you describe but those seem to be more like exceptions rather than the rule. Para had always been a QC rollercoaster company, much like Kimber but on average way worse. Before the company basically disappeared, they were basically just churning out piles of hot garbage.
Bought new special order from Riley’s in early 1998. The LDA came out a little while after I got mine. Definitely missed the bullet on that one as I surely would have bought it. Almost picked up a used Warthog but even the magazine articles at the time didn’t have much good to say. Felt like shit in my hand too…

Its a safe bet he would leave you in the dust
No.

I’ve shot against Ayoob, back about 30 years ago when I took LFI-2 and 2. He was well past his prime back then and he is far worse now. He was a champion 50 years ago at Second Chance but even he admits that he was slow when he competed in IDPA. Any USPSA B-class shooter would smoke him. He has never been in the same league as a USPSA Grandmaster like Ben Stoeger.

You really need to stop worshipping Ayoob. He is just another man.

Last edited:
I can't find Ayoob's classification in any sport. Does anyone know?
I know that he used to shoot IDPA years ago. He attended some major matches, so he must have been classified. Having seen videos of him shooting and having competed against him, I'd guess that his competition performance was never above IDPA Expert, but he might have practiced the qualifier enough to be qualified as Master.

Edited to add: I'm sure he's a lot slower now. Getting old is a bitch and he's got to be in his late 70s.

Last edited:
Hackathorn? I've never shot with him, but given his age I doubt he is up to speed with today's USPSA Grand Masters.

But classification would capture what he was at his peak.

I find it odd that the classification of a founding member of IDPA is not part of his bio.....must be a reason for that....what could that be?

But classification would capture what he was at his peak.

I find it odd that the classification of a founding member of IDPA is not part of his bio.....must be a reason for that....what could that be?
The IDPA classification of the past (I haven't shot the new classifier) wasn't a very good predictor of match performance. There were quite a few "paper" masters, who spent a lot of time practicing the IDPA classifier so that they could be classified as master, but their match performance wasn't up to that standard. I suspect that Mas and Hackathorn probably spent enough time to classify as master, but that their match performance wasn't that great.

Back when IDPA had a rule change to "emphasize accuracy", it was my opinion that Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn were simply pissed off that these young guys were beating them so badly, so that they wanted to slow the game down enough that they would be more competitive.

Edited to add: Mas was never in the running to win an IDPA National Championship. It wasn't like Robert Vogel or Mike Seeklander were afraid that Ayoob would beat them at a major match.

Last edited:
but how come no one shows any love for .45 acp? yeah, yeah, i get it. some people think the cartridge is obsolete. i don't. i don't mind going against the grain. i like the big heavy bullet lumbering towards it's target with all that kinetic energy. damn! i don't carry it with any regularity, i use to though... and people forget it was a decent and accurate target round. i shot a gold cup for several years in the nra 3 gun matches in boston. much fun, too. i have a ton of respect for the round.

take down power?? 230 gr. lead or jacketed rn ammo going low and slow would save the day, what do you all think? if you care to share a pic of your delivery systems, by all means put the pic up. anything new and different makes the world go around. one of my favorite .45 acp's is the sig 220. a great gun imo. i've had mine 30 years and it's still ticking. a fun gun to shoot, too. so, lets hear from you all.
Shop/garage/safe gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom