• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

we've probably hashed this to death

Irrelevant to suitability for self defense, as competition shooters choose the caliber/load that offers the best scoring performance for the event/division they are competing in. In each case the 9 vs 40 choice by a competition shooter has nothing to do with the relative defensive performance of the caliber.

Is it though? I think speed, accuracy, and capacity are far more important than a nominal gain in wound channel size.

45 fudds are obsessed with caliber and one stop shot fallacies. The fact is, people dont die quickly when shot with any handgun round.

Another fact, 45 is gay.

I think speed, accuracy, and capacity are far more important than a nominal gain in wound channel size.
Agreed, except for the accuracy part - has nothing to do with caliber. I would also add recoil management being a little easier with 9mm and significantly lower ammo costs allowing for more training.

That said, .45 starts to make sense if you live in a mag cap restricted state. The gun in question is important too - the .45 doesn't have to be a 1911; my splits with the G30 are like a hundredths slower than with the G19, negligible difference.

the .45 doesn't have to be a 1911

How Dare You Greta GIF

Sorry, you're too late to the party. 9mm was designated the gay caliber back on page one.

Or, you know what, maybe not. The actual caliber of 9mm wasn't designated as gay........only the people who like or use it are gay.
Sorry. My mistake.
People with the wrists of a 10 year girl have to shoot something.

So I'm only going to be That Guy because your post was specifically about .45 memes. In that spirit, I MUST point out that Jules is famously using a 9mm Star Model B in Pulp Fiction.

He also fires a lot more than twice.

*nerd mode off*
Mematic_20240217_183331.jpg
Online forums are all about people saying stupid stuff.
Memes are all about People, saying stupid stuff, but with pictures.

I mean, the .40/10 dynamic is unparalleled among the autoloading pistol world. Want more power? 10mm. Want lower recoil? .40. Want a smaller pistol? .40. Want a bigger pistol? 10mm. Want a cheaper, more available ammo? .40. Want something to make fat Boomers feel antiquated and like they've outlived their usefulness? 10mm.

A 45 has been known to bounce off things that a (spicier) 9mm would go through- slanted car windshields, cars doors... also there is a better chance that a 45 be stopped with certain soft armor. Add what has been said that magazines at same size have lower capacity and follow up shots are harder and it is not that is a bad round- it is that recent developments of 9mm have provided alternatives. It does have superior firepower, but folks should watch ballistic gel videos on Youtube comparing the two rounds. A proper 9mm does leave just as nasty cavity as a 45acp.

Said the above- I love both.
]
- LE overwhelmingly carries 9mm nationally.

- The FBI spends millions testing ammunition in labs. Carries 9mm.

- Military, 9mm

- Thousands of people in the US die to 9mm yearly.

- Competition shooters, instructors, experts, overwhelmingly prefer 9mm

- 1911's made in 9mm

.45 Boomers on NES:
View attachment 851282

You're not f***ing special and 45 is gay.

I mean, the .40/10 dynamic is unparalleled among the autoloading pistol world. Want more power? 10mm. Want lower recoil? .40. Want a smaller pistol? .40. Want a bigger pistol? 10mm. Want a cheaper, more available ammo? .40. Want something to make fat Boomers feel antiquated and like they've outlived their usefulness? 10mm.
40. Lol.

Has anyone already mentioned that supposedly 9mm can blow a lung out of a person? You don't hear anybody making that claim about .45!

Frank
Has anyone already mentioned that supposedly 9mm can blow a lung out of a person? You don't hear anybody making that claim about .45!

Frank
Supposedly? Well there's a good reason why everyone should subscribe.
Actually. Its been noted that 45acp ball ammunition has been known to lift a NVA soldiers footies right off of the ground. Of course NVA soldiers are smaller in size.

Last edited:
but how come no one shows any love for .45 acp? yeah, yeah, i get it. some people think the cartridge is obsolete. i don't. i don't mind going against the grain. i like the big heavy bullet lumbering towards it's target with all that kinetic energy. damn! i don't carry it with any regularity, i use to though... and people forget it was a decent and accurate target round. i shot a gold cup for several years in the nra 3 gun matches in boston. much fun, too. i have a ton of respect for the round.

take down power?? 230 gr. lead or jacketed rn ammo going low and slow would save the day, what do you all think? if you care to share a pic of your delivery systems, by all means put the pic up. anything new and different makes the world go around. one of my favorite .45 acp's is the sig 220. a great gun imo. i've had mine 30 years and it's still ticking. a fun gun to shoot, too. so, lets hear from you all.
Depends on what type of love
I love the 45acp let me count the ways.
1. 45 acp fits all my 1911s
2. So many bullet options
Which also run in most of my 1911s
3. Im used to carrying my 1911 and my pants pockets are still deep enough to pocket carry
4. 45 cal bullets are easy to place on the case when reloading
5. I shoot my 45 chambered 1911s better than 9mm?
6. Recoil I adjust my powder a bit to control recoil
7. 45/9/357/44mag im not looking to break any split time or shot string records . Im as fast as I am .
I figure if im ever in a position to defend myself split time , lock time , recoil will be the least of my worries.

Agreed, except for the accuracy part - has nothing to do with caliber. I would also add recoil management being a little easier with 9mm and significantly lower ammo costs allowing for more training.

That said, .45 starts to make sense if you live in a mag cap restricted state. The gun in question is important too - the .45 doesn't have to be a 1911; my splits with the G30 are like a hundredths slower than with the G19, negligible difference.
Thus the reason I bought a G20. If I'm stuck with 10 rounds AND might be in a multiple assailant situation the shots are going to count, with 10mm cartridges loaded as Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper intended. That was my Wu Flu purchase for travel to a couple sh!thole Antifa/BLM hotbeds to help a family member in poor health. I have a vintage Delta Elite in 10mm as well and 8 vs 10 rounds isn't that big of a difference but I wanted something I wouldn't mind getting beat up in OWB and as a 'truck gun'. I'm more or less built like an old silverback gorilla, so recoil management isn't a problem and I'm not going to be super fast anyway.

A close friend in St. Louis was shot on duty. 9mm bullet actually hit him on the edge of his badge and deflected due in part to the angle but also because it was only 9mm and FMJ. He did get a minor flesh wound that needed to be patched up and was pretty sore in the ribs but that was the extent of the damage. A proper JHP with more energy would have torn him up much more after the deflection but with enough energy might have pierced the badge.

IMHO just carry something- anything. You're not going to be playing John Wick, you're probably dealing with one or two @ssholes. Much of the time I just throw a G43 in my pocket despite having more 'battle worthy' (LOL larping) options.

Why do I get the impression that the "9mm has faster follow-up" crowd thinks the bad guys look like this?

ipsc-cb-n-2019.jpg

[rofl]
No, those types are at least shooting for a better score. Its the hits on target ANYWHERE on target types.

Old jerry says just dont let the gun recoil.

My dad taught me eyes ears and aware of path out of dodge.
When was the last time you looked at a exit map going into a strange building.
And don't hang around to watch the show. I've seen some confrontations between strangers. The first thing I do is get out of there. Once I'm safe, then call 911.

But my point was that, in the event that you can't avoid a deadly force incident, that having a gun is far more important than whether your gun is 9mm, or .40, or .45.

Last edited:
Why do I get the impression that the "9mm has faster follow-up" crowd thinks the bad guys look like this?

ipsc-cb-n-2019.jpg

[rofl]
So, do bad guys look more like this?

023b34578d9c01d71b77ca7a47500deb_1_1.jpg

Or this?

0adc1159833fc32.jpg
Or how about this?

7a813c1074bba2c21e01abc5562ae6f5_3.jpg

USPSA and IDPA targets certainly aren't perfect. But all things considered, they are pretty good.

Last edited:
No, the bad guys look like paper plates and soda cans, right?
LOL, yep.

Mostly I want to point out that just like hunting, I wouldn't expect to have an optimum, full frontal torso shot with clearly visible 'lights out' zones to shoot. Target might look more like this, though instead of spraying graffiti on the wall he'd be spraying bullets in your direction.

5077710405632000.jpg

Except for head and neck, vitals might be covered by an arm and shoulder. Something with more juice than 9mm might be a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom