• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

we've probably hashed this to death

Per Lucky Gunner tests:
  • 9mm 124gr +P HST expands to 0.66" diameter. That's an area of 0.3421"
  • .45acp 230gr HST expands to 0.85" diameter. That's an area of 0.5675"

I fail to see how a hole that's 65% larger isn't objectively better. No, it's not a death ray or a rifle round or anything but a bigger hole should cause faster blood loss and have a slightly higher chance of nicking a major organ or part of the CNS.

I'll say again: that's the only advantage of the .45acp - everything else goes to the 9mm to some degree.
Because in real world shootings that difference in size has proved to have negligible effect.

Work by Fackler and Gary Roberts. Not easy to find, however.
Fackler was President of the International Wound Ballistics Association but it was dissolved in 2001, a year before HST came on the market. Most of his research appears to be from the 90s. I'll look into Roberts later.

I'm impressed nobody's brought up the Thompson-LaGarde Tests yet.
Those were done a century before HST was invented [rofl]

The 9mm is a faster round. It has a greater variety of projectiles. You can buy it in bulk, milsurp, costs less to train with, and is easier to shoot when training all afternoon.
That is why I carry a .45

- LE overwhelmingly carries 9mm nationally.

- The FBI spends millions testing ammunition in labs. Carries 9mm.

- Military, 9mm

- Thousands of people in the US die to 9mm yearly.

- Competition shooters, instructors, experts, overwhelmingly prefer 9mm

- 1911's made in 9mm

.45 Boomers on NES:
135.png

You're not f***ing special and 45 is gay.

Military, 9mm
But they don't want it
LE overwhelmingly carries 9mm nationally.
Because that is all most officers can qualify with
The FBI spends millions testing ammunition in labs. Carries 9mm.
Because thier agents can't handle .40

Competition shooters, instructors, experts, overwhelmingly prefer 9mm
Because it is a target round
Thousands of people in the US die to 9mm yearly
The, leading cause of firearm death is suicide, and the most popular choice of cartridge is 22LR

That sounds great, but there is no data to back that up.

The thing is, if you are limited to 10+1, 9mm fits in a much smaller, easier to carry gun than 45 ACP. My 10+1 43x is much easier carry than my 8+1 1911s.

Super late reply, but where's the love for 1911's in 9mm?

- Competition shooters, instructors, experts, overwhelmingly prefer 9mm
Irrelevant to suitability for self defense, as competition shooters choose the caliber/load that offers the best scoring performance for the event/division they are competing in. In each case the 9 vs 40 choice by a competition shooter has nothing to do with the relative defensive performance of the caliber.

But Snacks, what about the almighty .40 and the saint .357sig?!?!

Any minute now, someone's going to roll up in here singing the praises of .45GAP.

45 ACP has better memes

View attachment 851423

So I'm only going to be That Guy because your post was specifically about .45 memes. In that spirit, I MUST point out that Jules is famously using a 9mm Star Model B in Pulp Fiction.

He also fires a lot more than twice.

*nerd mode off*

Back
Top Bottom