• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vortex StrikeFire Red/Green Dot

The high mount lets you use the iron sights THOUGH the scope. It is an absolute co-witness.

Will it also co-witness with with sights other than the front fixed post. Reason for asking is I'm using a Samson Front Flip sight and an A.R.M.S. 40L Rear Sight on a Flat Top AR-15.

Being new to the AR's, I'm not sure if they are all at the same mounting height. Guess I'm asking if they are all generally mounted at the same height?

botach_2226_2840085198[1].jpg
Samson_ar-15_FFS-s[1].jpg

Last edited:
Will it also co-witness with with sights other than the front fixed post. Reason for asking is I'm using a Samson Front Flip sight and an A.R.M.S. 40L Rear Sight on a Flat Top AR-15.

Being new to the AR's, I'm not sure if they are all at the same mounting height. Guess I'm asking if they are all generally mounted at the same height?

View attachment 39394
View attachment 39395

It should. I had a strikefire Co-witnessed with a flip up mi rear. Make sure you get the high mount

View attachment 39394
View attachment 39395

Unless you are using micro sights almost all AR sights are the same height.
The A.R.M.S.40L is a standard hight sight. So the Vortex StrikeFire mount will be an Absolute co-witness.
Not a bottom 1/3rd like you get with most AimPoint mounts

Dude, I didn't know you had BUIS (that's why I threw in the info about the MBUS). Hell yes, the Sampson / ARMS sights that you have will do great. Now you only need an optic.
That's real good news, so some $$$ and your set.

PixelPusher - "Unless you are using micro sights almost all AR sights are the same height.
The A.R.M.S.40L is a standard hight sight. So the Vortex StrikeFire mount will be an Absolute co-witness. Not a bottom 1/3rd like you get with most AimPoint mounts." THIS! He's right on the money.

Absolute co-witness is just that the sights and the red dot are on the exact same plane.
Lower 1/3 co-witness is always going to put the irons in the bottom of the optic window.

Absolute will work as your irons will be folded out of the way most of the time. I'm not a big fan of the lower 1/3 setups anyways, as they tend to be set a little higher and further away from your natural line of sight & the bore of the rifle.
Look at it this way, if your going to run an optic then your intention is for that to be your go to item, the BUIS are there just in case. Say that in the middle of a fight your optic shits the bed you then use the folding irons and keep on rocking. On non magnified glass with a dead battery (Aimpoint, EoTech, Vortex, ect.) it will be just like seeing the iron sights through a clear glass window.
However if you insist that you want to use the glass and the irons at the same time you want a taller 1/3 set up.

smitty

Last edited:
With the mount I mentioned in post #18 does anyone know if the SureFire will co-witness with the AK front sight? If it does that would be awesome. From the picture it looks like it probably will co-witness.

Are these scopes easy to sight in and install? I am about to order the Vortex Strikefire and I have never sighted in a scope by myself.

just my 2 cents, i'd get aimpoint. for not much more you can find a used aimpoint or eotech and you won't have any worries to worry about.

Think about it, since Oct 2001 the military has put Acogs, Eotechs and aimpoints (M68 CCO) thru everything there is to put a scope thru and the amount of feedback and field testing you know any of the 3 scopes are battletested, which no other scope can claim.

You can mount an aimpoint, drop your rifle on top of your aimpoint...not only will the glass hold, the electronics, AND more likely then not you won't even lose your zero.

I was in the same boat a year ago and I got the aimpoint, never looked back. No worries about scope not turning on, no worries about loss of zero, nothing.

Are these scopes easy to sight in and install? I am about to order the Vortex Strikefire and I have never sighted in a scope by myself.

Yes, very easy.

just my 2 cents, i'd get aimpoint. for not much more you can find a used aimpoint or eotech and you won't have any worries to worry about.

Think about it, since Oct 2001 the military has put Acogs, Eotechs and aimpoints (M68 CCO) thru everything there is to put a scope thru and the amount of feedback and field testing you know any of the 3 scopes are battletested, which no other scope can claim.

You can mount an aimpoint, drop your rifle on top of your aimpoint...not only will the glass hold, the electronics, AND more likely then not you won't even lose your zero.

I was in the same boat a year ago and I got the aimpoint, never looked back. No worries about scope not turning on, no worries about loss of zero, nothing.

So far mine has worked flawlessly.

- The odds of my life ever depending on my AR are pretty low.
- If that situation does occur, odds are good that the threat will be stopped after the first shot I fire, regardless of whether I hit or not (bad guys don't look for a fight, they look for easy prey. Usually...).
- If I get into a situation where I need to actually hit somebody at a range where I would need the assistance of the optic (with a 30-round magazine, I could probably turn somebody to swiss cheese at "normal self defense ranges" by just point shooting), the odds of my red dot malfunctioning for the first time at that exact moment are very low.
- I have backup iron sights and know how to use them. If the optic fails in the middle of a firefight that's not good obviously, but it only takes a split second to hit the button to flip up the rear BUIS (I have fixed front sight and absolute co-witness, so even if the dot fails you can still do reasonably well with just the front sight alone).

Of course I'd rather have an Aimpoint. If I was in the military and deploying to the Middle East, I would definitely invest in one. But my AR's purpose is ~95% range gun, 5% potential home defense / overthrowing the government gun. For my purposes, I think it makes more sense to spend that extra couple hundred bucks on more ammo or more guns. Just IMO.

I have a stupid question....what does "co-witness" mean? I have an idea of what it means but I do not want to be wrong in my assumption.

Hey guys. Resurrecting this thread.

I've been researching red dot sights. I want one I use on my Remington 870 - used with saddle mount picatinny rails - with interchangeable 18" HD, 20" rifled deer, and 26" VR barrel. I want to use it for deer and turkey hunting, and leave it on there for home defense.

I'd also like to be able to mount it on my AR, swapping out for the scope. My gun's got a RRA flattop varmint upper with Nikon M223 scope mounted on the very sturdy (but heavy) Rock River mount. I don't have iron sights. I'd like the red/green dot sight for coyote (pig, etc.) hunting and for personal defense inside a hundred yards where quicker target acquisition is preferred to high magnification. The M223's lowest setting is 3X. The red/green dot sight's overall much lighter weight will be nice, too.

Anyone see any issues with putting this Vortex red/green dot on two guns? How much difference do you think there'd be when adjusting to the two guns' zero settings?

Given the situation described, would you get the StrikeFire with the "AR" height rings and mount? Or the "Hunting" version which is lower. Other than co-witness with iron sights, is there any reason to prefer the higher mount?

Yeah, I'd really love an Aimpoint PRO, but for now, I need to consider the budgetary impact of this new purchase. Wife and I agreed "no more guns" for awhile but didn't say no more accessories. She just bought a $200 handbag, and in Feb bought $300 hair extensions, so I think I've got my return ammunition at the ready should she balk at even $169 for this sight. I also considered Burris and a few others, but this Vortex seems to have good reviews on OpticsPlanet, Cabelas, etc. and not many complaints that can't be fixed by their apparently very good customer service.

Can anyone talk me out of the Vortex Strikefire due to your bad product or service experience?

I hope no one talks you out of it, I have one on the way for my AR. I can't wait to try it out.

Hey guys. Resurrecting this thread.

I've been researching red dot sights. I want one I use on my Remington 870 - used with saddle mount picatinny rails - with interchangeable 18" HD, 20" rifled deer, and 26" VR barrel. I want to use it for deer and turkey hunting, and leave it on there for home defense.

I'd also like to be able to mount it on my AR, swapping out for the scope. My gun's got a RRA flattop varmint upper with Nikon M223 scope mounted on the very sturdy (but heavy) Rock River mount. I don't have iron sights. I'd like the red/green dot sight for coyote (pig, etc.) hunting and for personal defense inside a hundred yards where quicker target acquisition is preferred to high magnification. The M223's lowest setting is 3X. The red/green dot sight's overall much lighter weight will be nice, too.

Anyone see any issues with putting this Vortex red/green dot on two guns? How much difference do you think there'd be when adjusting to the two guns' zero settings?

Given the situation described, would you get the StrikeFire with the "AR" height rings and mount? Or the "Hunting" version which is lower. Other than co-witness with iron sights, is there any reason to prefer the higher mount?

Yeah, I'd really love an Aimpoint PRO, but for now, I need to consider the budgetary impact of this new purchase. Wife and I agreed "no more guns" for awhile but didn't say no more accessories. She just bought a $200 handbag, and in Feb bought $300 hair extensions, so I think I've got my return ammunition at the ready should she balk at even $169 for this sight. I also considered Burris and a few others, but this Vortex seems to have good reviews on OpticsPlanet, Cabelas, etc. and not many complaints that can't be fixed by their apparently very good customer service.

Can anyone talk me out of the Vortex Strikefire due to your bad product or service experience?

I ordered a sparc for my M1 carbine that will reside in my trunk from optics planet a month ago. It is still on backorder!!!

Funny, I just ordered one of these yesterday after debating for almost two weeks. looked all around reading reviews, then this thread pops up. Glad I ordered it when I did, they seem to becoming more and more scarce, and the prices look to be rising

Easter Sale @ Palmetto State Armory on these:

Vortex StrikeFire Red/Green Dot Scope
$179

Cabela's has them for $169:
Cabela's: Vortex® StrikeFire Red/Green-Dot Scope

I'm not sure how shipping factors in to that.

Edit:

Waaaaaiiiiit a minute. I am seeing a whole bunch of Vortex Strikefires for $169. For some reason, I thought these were 3x. The ones I'm seeing now are 2x or 1x. Who the heck wants 1x?

Maybe I'm getting mixed up with the Primary Arms 3x scopes for the same price, also getting great reviews.

Last edited:
I saw $135 on the video. I wonder if it is 50 off of that, or if that is after the 50. Just putting that out there for others. I want the 3x. If I wanted 1x, I'd just stick with the iron sights.

Anyone know anywhere selling them on sale right now? Trying to do my best to google it coming up with nothing. Got to shoot a friends ar with one yesterday and I'm looking to order one for myself now.

Anyone know anywhere selling them on sale right now? Trying to do my best to google it coming up with nothing. Got to shoot a friends ar with one yesterday and I'm looking to order one for myself now.

Optics planet has a good price on them. However, I had a SPARC on backorder for over a month with them. I canceled it because who knows when they will get stock. If it was through a credit card I would have let it stay on backorder but it wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom