• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vortex StrikeFire Red/Green Dot

Any experience with this scope. Does it hold up under recoil. Thinking of one for either an AR-15 or AK47 (maybe both). Mostly used for 100 meter shooting. Maybe out to 200 meters. Doubt I'll go any further than that.

My eyes are getting tired and iron sights get blurry after awhile, so I need help now.

I've shot one a couple of times on an AR and it's worked great. Vortex makes very good quality scopes and it could definitely handle most if not all calibers.

I have one. and I know a couple others that have them too. It is a decent scope for the money.

For the record it is no AimPoint, I have had mine for less than a year and had to send it back for repair (had a piece come loose inside)
That being said, I sent it back and it returned to me in less than a week. Mine holds zero well and battery life is good (still not an AimPoint).

It does come with a screw in doubler so if you are like me and the eyes ain't what they used to be is a nice thing.

All-in-all, I like mine, and for the price point is kinda hard to beat.

I've shot one a couple of times on an AR and it's worked great. Vortex makes very good quality scopes and it could definitely handle most if not all calibers.

This. It's a 3MOA dot and a battery life of over 5000 hours (if you keep the intensity of the dot in the mid range). I have one on an AR and one on a WASR-10. I have a sun shade on the WASR Strikefire. No complaints with customer service, either. I was afield last weekend and lost one of the windage caps. E-mailed customer service to buy 2 and they mailed the 2 caps free of charge. They got here yesterday. +10 for Vortex!!!!

Have one on my Windham AR. Close to 1K rounds and still holding zero.
The red/green is a nice feature, makes it more adaptable to light conditions
Good scope for the money IMHO.
Cabela's has it for $149.00

As long as you're not expecting an Aimpoint, you're going to be happy with it. I bought one of the first ones and had it for quite a while before I sold the gun it was on. It was very decent quality for the price, but still, I prefer aimpoint.

Bought some Vortex glass recently for an AR. Very good glass for the money.

I put it on a target AR build and it is very bright and clear.

The Strikefire is a nice red dot for the money and vortex customer service is top notch. My only issue with the scope was that I couldn't get it bright enough to see on a sunny day. I ended up returning it to vortex paying and extra $50 and bought the Sparc instead. Much brighter, and if you have no need for the green dot of the Strikefire, the Sparc is lighter as well.

Have one on my Windham AR. Close to 1K rounds and still holding zero.
The red/green is a nice feature, makes it more adaptable to light conditions
Good scope for the money IMHO.
Cabela's has it for $149.00

I've been looking at this for my AR and am glad to see the positive response on anything cheaper than an Eotech. I've only found it for $169 or more though. Anyone have a link for it for $149 so I'll have enough $ left for the flash kill?

Using the Strikefire on my Sig556 for 2 years now. Then recently started to use the Vortex Sparc on my AR. Both optics have functioned flawlessly no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I have one and like it alot, good glass and it is bright for 99% of the time. Works with my iron sites as well. Can't beat the price

I have one of these. A+. Works great. Picked it up at Gander Mountain, which was the lowest price after online coupon ($159). Absolutely no problems, 1000s of rounds. I did the research, and this is what I chose compared to an aimpoint or eotech.

I'm debating between the vortex strike fire and the lucid Hd7.

Good to hear positives on the vortex.

I looked at the lucid after you mentioned it. Looks pretty good but it won't work for what I want the vortex for. I need to mount it on an AK47 side mount like This. So you can see where the lucid won't work.

The reticle is I believe a 4MOA.

What kind of ranges are people thinking the vortex is good out to ?

Yep it's a 4 MOA. I wouldn't be using it out past 200 meters. At 100 meters it should cover a gallon milk jug. That's fine with me. I just want to hit it. At 200 meters it would probably cover a human torso. that's OK too. I just need to know that what it is covering is what I'm going to hit. I don't mind covering the target with the dot as long as I know that's where the bullet is going. I'm not talking precision shooting here. I'm talking hitting a target reliably with some tired old eyes.

Also check out Primary arms. They are out of TX they have a really nice Mirco dot, all there stuff works great. It is china made but there is good and bad china and these guys use good china. Also helps that the owner of the company go's over there 4 times a year to check to make sure they are makes the product the right way.

Also check out Primary arms. They are out of TX they have a really nice Mirco dot, all there stuff works great. It is china made but there is good and bad china and these guys use good china. Also helps that the owner of the company go's over there 4 times a year to check to make sure they are makes the product the right way.

Primary Arms markets the Vortex scope that I inquired about. I will probably buy through them.

I've got one. Of course I'd like an Aimpoint but really couldn't justify the cost when this gets the job done just as well for my needs. No problems so far.

I have one on my AR. Got it from Midway USA, after I put about 30 rounds through and you could see it was all busted inside. Midway was quick to replace. Second has been great.
The caps had a tough time staying closed, I called Vortex, about 3 days later a new set showed up. No questions asked. Great customer service.

Using the Strikefire on my Sig556 for 2 years now. Then recently started to use the Vortex Sparc on my AR. Both optics have functioned flawlessly no issues at all.

Rottie: You have both. Thats Great.

I would like your opinion after using both. Seems that with todays pricing the StrikeFire is now about $169 and the SPARC $199. With the small difference in price, if you could only have one, which would you go with now, knowing what you like about each, and why?

For me it is going on a flat top AR15 and I like what I'm hearing so far.

Thanks

Rottie: You have both. Thats Great.

I would like your opinion after using both. Seems that with todays pricing the StrikeFire is now about $169 and the SPARC $199. With the small difference in price, if you could only have one, which would you go with now, knowing what you like about each, and why?

For me it is going on a flat top AR15 and I like what I'm hearing so far.

Thanks

If i absolutely had to choose one it would be the Strikefire, because the it has the flip lens covers the Sparc does not ( Sparc has cheap bikini covers, had to order covers made by butler creek) also the battery for the Strikefire is more common (CR2) versus the (CR2354) for the Sparc.
I had to order extra batteries online and could not find them in a store anywhere.
If your going to get a Strikefire for your AR I would suggest the the Bright Red High Mount (if you want absolute co witness) versus the Red and Green High Mount. Its just as bright as the Sparc.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks... Excellent comments. Looks like I will go with your recommendation. Red only, High Mount.

Does the high mount actually allow you to see through the base mount so you to use the iron sights?

Primary Arms markets the Vortex scope that I inquired about. I will probably buy through them.

Not to dissuade you from the Vortex as it seems to get great reviews here, but do take the time to look through the "Primary Arms brand" red dots since you are on their site anyway. I have one that I use on my M&P 15-22 because I didn't want to spend the coin on another Eotech for the .22 and it has been fantastic. They are typically very highly rated over on AR15.com and other related sites, and tend to sell used for almost as much as new almost immediately after hitting the classifieds, so you can flip it easily if you don't like it for some reason.

Not to dissuade you from the Vortex as it seems to get great reviews here, but do take the time to look through the "Primary Arms brand" red dots since you are on their site anyway. I have one that I use on my M&P 15-22 because I didn't want to spend the coin on another Eotech for the .22 and it has been fantastic. They are typically very highly rated over on AR15.com and other related sites, and tend to sell used for almost as much as new almost immediately after hitting the classifieds, so you can flip it easily if you don't like it for some reason.

+1.
I've owned 2

Back
Top Bottom