• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Should I get one?

Should I get a MG license?

• Hell yes, what are you waiting for?

Votes: 60 93.8%
  • No, you're crazy to even think about it.

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Went to renew my LTC today. I asked if CLEO would issue a machine gun license. He said that if I have a C&R, no problem.

Fact: I have no money for a MG.
Fact: It will probably be a long time before I can afford one.

Question: Since the whole firearms world is getting harder and harder to be a part of, should I get one just because I might need it someday. He said it the same cost as a regular LTC and is good for the same amount of time.

I know which way I'm leaning.[smile]

Last edited:
I'm heading down the same path. Just got my C&R to demonstrate that I'm a Bona Fide collector. Haven't had the conversation with the CLEO, yet, but I will shortly. It may be some time before I can actually afford anything.

Both the extra $100 for the license and the $200 registration fee are chump change in the grand scheme of things. Even the obscenely inflated prices resulting from the refusal to accept registrations of new non-LE guns are secondary issues. It's the cost of feeding them that's the killer. Even with controlled bursts you're easily talking several hundred dollars per hour. But if you can get the license and afford it, it's worth it just for the rush.

[mg] [rockon] [mg] [rockon] [mg] [rockon] [mg]

Ken

I agree that having no money to buy one now and knowing that it may be a while before you do is a reason to think twice but...

As many have already said, get it while you can!

btw... what town do you live in? I may need to move [wink]

Why not ? Then you can do the happy dance...
dancing.gif

I've had my MG license for about 1.5 years, and I don't think I'll be renewing it, simply because with MG prices being the way they are, I'll probably never own one.

If the 86 ban is tossed out or repealed (haha) in the next few years, ya hoo! If not, unless you can afford a minimum of $3,000 for a M/11-9, the stamp and ammo, why bother?

--EasyD

and what if the cop was telling you that up front you meet the basic requirements and then you get rejected?

Sure, you can apply for it if you have a C&R...no problem....then...sorry, no....CLEO discretion.

Pffft....

WHY on earth would you want that??? I mean a machine gun totally ridiculous way too costly and all that nonsense... (there there had to be one!)
{the tar feathers and rope will be supplied in my trunk for the appropriate recourse to my sillyness [wink]}

But little timmy in my head says you should because they are fun.[rofl][laugh2][mg][party][banana][laugh2]

I've had my MG license for about 1.5 years, and I don't think I'll be renewing it, simply because with MG prices being the way they are, I'll probably never own one.

If the 86 ban is tossed out or repealed (haha) in the next few years, ya hoo! If not, unless you can afford a minimum of $3,000 for a M/11-9, the stamp and ammo, why bother?

--EasyD

What are Vector Uzis going for nowadays?

I recall that they were reasonably priced, but that was at least 4-5 years ago.

I would say only do it if you are 120% sure you will get it (which you seem to be) b/c you don't want to have to answer yes to being denied a license when filling out forms for renewal LTC and or out of state Applications. Unless of course a MG license does not count under the denial portion, then go for it.

Just MHO.

Went to renew my LTC today. I asked if CLEO would issue a machine gun license. He said that if I have a C&R, no problem.

Fact: I have no money for a MG.
Fact: It will probably be a long time before I can afford one.
[smile]

Fact: You have two kidneys.
Fact: You only need one. [smile]

Go for it!

Then start buying lottery tickets, who knows, it could all work out in the end!

If you were REALY motivated, after getting the Green card, you could get a Manufacturers FFL, then you could buy Non Transferables for relatively short money and blast away! [smile]

if you seem pretty sure he will give it to you and not reject you then definately fill that application out and send it on....

If I new I could get one I would do it. My town won't issue one as far as i know and I'm not willing to be the experiment.

I don't care that I can't afford auto's I would get the license if I could.

I have a motorcycle license and I don't have a bike....been that way for years...

Folks don't throw stuff at me but there's a bad side to this when you think about it.
How many times have you found a gun you really wanted and came up with crazy schemes and scams just to get the cash to buy the gun only to realize later its crackers and water for dinner for a few weeks afterwards because now you're flat broke? [laugh]
I myself will probably never have the cash needed to plunk down on something full auto unless I found something for under a thousand dollars. Even then, trying to justify the purchase to my wife would be complicated. I'd probably have the same luck if I tried bringing home other women.
I know some people are saying get it just to have it but to me thats like subscribing to HDTV when you've got a 13" B&W TV at home. If you'll never be able to afford a good TV, what would be the reasoning in getting high definition signal?
For me I'd only go for it and try for the license if I thought there was a chance I'd eventually have the funds for something full auto.

Last edited:
I am also tempted, and have had an lingering desire for an M60 for over a decade now.

Here are some of the factors I've been weighing...

Plusses:

There hasn't been a new transferable MG registered for 22 years.
(like old coins, etc. they are collectible)

I've heard that the price for these beauties, on the market, has been increasing by about 10% per annum. (you can argue the monies are invested, and not just spent)

If the SHTF, being able to "rock-n-roll" could come in handy.

Emptying a mag with one is darned fun, and always brings me a smile.

Minuses:

Keeping it on the target after the first round gets out, can be a real challenge.

They are ammo pigs. The typical assault rifle or SMG (M4, real AK, MP5, etc) will empty their magazine in under 15 seconds, at which time you get to stop and reload. Regardless of money, every round takes up space and weight inside your bag. I also suggest high quality factory ammo. Otherwise one squib could really ruin your day.

They are beaucoup $$. If you ain't got it, finding a really good mutual fund for saving up is probably the way to go.

The beast is registered. You will moved to the top of the short list for that proverbial knock on the door in the middle of the night.

You break it, you may be SOL. I don't know if you could get the receiver re-forged, machined, and still keep the same serial number.

The CLEO could deny you and you get to change that answer on your
next LTC renewal. The irony in the MG permit is that it doesn't matter all that much. The CLEO also has to sign off on whatever you actually decide to buy.

My conclusions:

The two things stopping me from getting one are the fear of the CLEO turning me down (on either occasion) and the $$ that I don't have.

In reality, the Barrett M82A1 looks more reachable, and is therefore higher on my wish list.

If I knew with reasonable certainty that I would be approved I would apply in a heartbeat. You never know when you could come into cash or an unbelievable deal. Besides showing it (the "Card") to my brother in front of some of my Anti family members would be worth $100 all by itself.

I say go for it if you can get a guaranteed sign-off. I finally got my first SBR (down here in NC) and went the revocable living trust route. My BW 89-PDW (MP5K PDW clone) is now sans the 12.5" barrel extention and is true to form. 5.5" barrel, 23" OAL. I don't regret doing it one bit and she is fun to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom