• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger 1911

No way would they stop making such a popular gun. It's a great shooter as well. They are suppose to be expanding the 1911 line I read somewhere, to include some new models and variations at some point, because this one has been so popular. The next one may not be the same good price as the SR1911 though. This gun is way to popular to stop. Just a bunch of nonsense. I don't really think they anticipated it being as popular as it is. 100% American made, I may buy another one!

No way would they stop making such a popular gun. It's a great shooter as well. They are suppose to be expanding the 1911 line I read somewhere, to include some new models and variations at some point, because this one has been so popular. The next one may not be the same good price as the SR1911 though. This gun is way to popular to stop. Just a bunch of nonsense. I don't really think they anticipated it being as popular as it is. 100% American made, I may buy another one!

i think that was determined to be 100% BS in that thread. the purpose of the link was the info about the doubling of the production. and also a guy from NH in that thread mentioned availability in the area.

i think that was determined to be 100% BS in that thread. the purpose of the link was the info about the doubling of the production. and also a guy from NH in that thread mentioned availability in the area.

Ahh, I guess I didn't read far enough.

There is a gun show coming up in Wilmington. I imagine there will be a few floating around there, for those of you still waiting on them. I bet they will be gone in 2 minutes though.

Get your grips yet?

How did they look?

Just Wondering

DOWNWIND[grin]

I did get them, but have been sitting in the box. I haven't been shooting, so I have been too lazy to put them on. When I do I will post a review. [smile]

Got one at FS today.

More SR1911's at FS while everyone still waits. Interesting. Enjoy it. It's an awesome gun.

Just a little note: As of 4:30pm yesterday I saw a Ruger SR1911 at Dave's Sporting Goods in Pittsfield, MA for any of you that might still be looking for one.
$749.99 Price tag I believe.

Just a little note: As of 4:30pm yesterday I saw a Ruger SR1911 at Dave's Sporting Goods in Pittsfield, MA for any of you that might still be looking for one.

3 months and counting on the FD list for an SR1911..............TICK-TOCK, TICK-TOCK. [rofl]

They still have nothing? Time to move on. Get put on the list at FS. You'll have one in no time.
I'm really in no hurry.
I just picked up 2 Colt 1911's and have another one on the way, so I have enough toys to keep me busy till the Ruger comes in. I'm just waiting to see.......
1. How long it takes.
2. If they can still honor the same price that I left a deposit on. If not, that would suck, but I will understand?

What really blows my mind though, is that they can't seem to get them in. I read on another thread that Hoffmans in CT had 50 in stock. [hmmm]
Oh well, the wait continues. TICK-TOCK-TICK-TOCK [laugh]

Last edited:
I'm really in no hurry.
I just picked up 2 Colt 1911's and have another one on the way, so I have enough toys to keep me busy till the Ruger comes in. I'm just waiting to see.......
1. How long it takes.
2. If they can still honor the same price that I left a deposit on. If not, that would suck, but I will understand?

What really blows my mind though, is that they can't seem to get them in. I read on another thread that Hoffmans in CT had 50 in stock. [hmmm]

Even if that price skyrocketed on that gun, they would have to honor that price I would guess. Your receipt says what the price is, so anyone with a conscience can't go back on that now. Good luck. I am glad I didn't wait. I have a few rounds through mine and I love it. I am picking up another one at some point for a spare. [wink] I am just glad I didn't wait. I'd be pissed if I was still waiting since last November for that gun.

I am glad I didn't wait. I have a few rounds through mine and I love it. I am picking up another one at some point for a spare. [wink] I am just glad I didn't wait. I'd be pissed if I was still waiting since last November for that gun.
Sounds like you made the right move. [wink]
Glad to hear you are happy with it, that's ecouraging. I've read (almost all) good reviews.
Not pissed at anyone, just surprised that they can't come up with any. [hmmm]

I'm really in no hurry.
1. How long it takes.

i talked to them, they are going to honor the price. also, they are not a big ruger dealer, so the distributor is probably giving them to dealers that push more ruger.

Why take so many orders then? For some reason, I am not sure why I find the whole story aggrevating. No way should anyone have to wait 4+ months for a 1911. I know it is popular, but give me a break.

Why take so many orders then? For some reason, I am not sure why I find the whole story aggrevating. No way should anyone have to wait 4+ months for a 1911. I know it is popular, but give me a break.

They dont dictate what the distributer does. No one was getting them, so they took orders and they arent first in line. On day one they stated the have no eta. For those who dont want to wait....dont. im in no rush.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I just spoke with a shop that had no interest in carrying them. They say that the gun has been having a lot of issues. Specially made it a point to call it a single shot 1911. Fire one shot then the magazine would eject on its own. Anyone hear about this issue? Or any for that matter?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I'm a Ruger fan and have four handguns by them but I think I would go for the Springfield Range Officer over this. The RO seems to be more decked out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

I just spoke with a shop that had no interest in carrying them. They say that the gun has been having a lot of issues. Specially made it a point to call it a single shot 1911. Fire one shot then the magazine would eject on its own. Anyone hear about this issue? Or any for that matter?

From my experience with my SR1911, this is [bs2]. The only problem I had was with two Colt 8 round mags when I used 185 grain hps, FMJs fed in all my mags without a problem. All other mags, 7 round Colts, 7 round AMT, 7 round no-name, and 7 and 8 round Ruger all fed the 185 HPs well.

The 230 grain FMJs were WWB, and the 185 grain HPs were Priv.

Last edited:
I've got one. I waited nearly 4 months to finally get it. It contantly FTF with WWB & Federals, Remington ran fine. The cases were hanging up @ the breach face. I only had .001" clearance. The Win brass wouldn't even get up to the extractor. It simply would not feed Winchester brass. I found this ironic since that was what the fired case was in the little yellow envelope supplied with the gun. I noticed the Rem brass had a taper to the rim and it was just a bit smaller than the Win. I guess it was just enough that the gun ran flawless with the Remington ammo. It was also pretty accurate, it would put 8 round in a hole the size of a quarter @ 30' in fact 4 of the rounds were in the same hole. I called Ruger an they had me ship it back to them. Ruger provided the shipping label, as they should. I got the gun back two weeks to the day from when they received it. Ruger put a new slide on it. It feeds anything I put through it now. I measured this slide at the breach face and I now have ~.010" clearance. However I noticed this slide to frame fit is no where as tight as my first slide. It literally rattles quite a bit compared to my first slide. It also doesn't shoot as accurate as the first one. At first I thought it may be me so I stopped at my LGS to check to see the difference between the gun they have on display. There's a significant difference, so much so that I plan to call Ruger tomorrow and send it back.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pure BS. What issues did this shop say it is having???

I have one and I love it. I am thinking of buying a 2nd one, once they are easier to find. I have fired hundreds of rounds through mine and I had 1 issue which was the mag. I returned the Ruger factory mag, and got a Wilson Combat ETM mag and problem was over. All other Ruger mags run fine. Never any issues with gun whatsoever.

I guess with any gun or manufacturer, things can go wrong from time to time, but I have read tons of reviews and did a bunch of research before I bought my first 1911, and I love it. Wouldn't hesitate buying another one, or recommending it to anyone else.

Every other shop in Ma wants them and can't get them. This guy doesn't want to sell it at all?? Riiiight.

I love the SR1911 because of it's simplicity. Doesn't have the scalloping all over the damn thing, and 15 different colors, and just ugly. Awesome gun, and anyone that does have a problem, Ruger would take care of it in a second.

Last edited:
I've got one. I waited nearly 4 months to finally get it. It contantly FTF with WWB & Federals, Remington ran fine. The cases were hanging up @ the breach face. I only had .001" clearance. The Win brass wouldn't even get up to the extractor. It simply would not feed Winchester brass. I found this ironic since that was what the fired case was in the little yellow envelope supplied with the gun. I noticed the Rem brass had a taper to the rim and it was just a bit smaller than the Win. I guess it was just enough that the gun ran flawless with the Remington ammo. It was also pretty accurate, it would put 8 round in a hole the size of a quarter @ 30' in fact 4 of the rounds were in the same hole. I called Ruger an they had me ship it back to them. Ruger provided the shipping label, as they should. I got the gun back two weeks to the day from when they received it. Ruger put a new slide on it. It feeds anything I put through it now. I measured this slide at the breach face and I now have ~.010" clearance. However I noticed this slide to frame fit is no where as tight as my first slide. It literally rattles quite a bit compared to my first slide. It also doesn't shoot as accurate as the first one. At first I thought it may be me so I stopped at my LGS to check to see the difference between the gun they have on display. There's a significant difference, so much so that I plan to call Ruger tomorrow and send it back.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

interesting. I have shot the Federal in the maroon box, WWB, Rem UMC, some Winchester cheapo JHP in the 50 round white boxes, etc, never had 1 issue.

interesting. I have shot the Federal in the maroon box, WWB, Rem UMC, some Winchester cheapo JHP in the 50 round white boxes, etc, never had 1 issue.

I had read nothing but good reviews of the SR1911 not having any issues out of the box. Of all the reviews and posts I had read, I was only able to find one other person that had problems FTF. He sent the gun back to Ruger and they replaced it. Everything I read about the SR1911 was similar to what you said. I was quite happy with the fit and finish of my Ruger when I finally got it. When I took it to the range for the first time I only had WWB & Federal with me and I honestly couldn't get a full mag through the gun with the Winchester, the Federal was a little better. A friend I was shooting with had a box of Remington and suggested I try them. I ran the whole box (50 rds) of Remingtons with no issues at all and was quite impressed by the groups I was getting. Ruger was great to deal with, they told me they usually return the gun back within a week to 10 days from when they receive it. They were true to their word. I did notice a difference between the slides. This one is definately machined a little wider at the breech face. With my old slide I litterally could not take a piece of spent brass and slide it up under the extractor with some brass. Maybe someone at Ruger grabbed a slide that hadn't been finished yet. I don't know. It functions just fine since I got it back. Right now I'm not satisfied with the slide to frame fit. It rattles quite a bit for a new gun. If it rattled like that in the gun shop I wouldn't have brought it home. I'll send it back, I'm sure Ruger will make good on it. Like you said earlier "I guess with any gun or manufacturer, things can go wrong from time to time" I guess I got one of those, I still think it's a great gun and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Last edited:
I bought a Ruger 1911 and a S&W E Series 1911TA just a week apart. My first trip to the range was frustrating, lots of FTF issues with both guns and I thought it must be me!!!! Well, someone at the range told me to do myself a favor and buy some Wilson Combat magazines and I bought three of them......three was NOT enough!!!!!! They make both guns run SMOOTH AS SILK and not a single issue since......WC is out of the full size 8 round magazines but Brownells was selling 3 packs and I will have them on Monday.....like the man told me "do yourself a favor and get some 45D's"

Yes, anyone having an issue with feeding issues or anything else, try the Wilson Combat ETM magazines. I bought a couple after reading about them on here from M1911, and I was amazed at how easy it was to load the ammo into the mags, and just how smooth they ran. Well worth the money. I plan on ordering a few more, just haven't gotten around to it. I plan on using only those from now on.

Back
Top Bottom