• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger 1911

I had read nothing but good reviews of the SR1911 not having any issues out of the box. Of all the reviews and posts I had read, I was only able to find one other person that had problems FTF. He sent the gun back to Ruger and they replaced it. Everything I read about the SR1911 was similar to what you said. I was quite happy with the fit and finish of my Ruger when I finally got it. When I took it to the range for the first time I only had WWB & Federal with me and I honestly couldn't get a full mag through the gun with the Winchester, the Federal was a little better. A friend I was shooting with had a box of Remington and suggested I try them. I ran the whole box (50 rds) of Remingtons with no issues at all and was quite impressed by the groups I was getting. Ruger was great to deal with, they told me they usually return the gun back within a week to 10 days from when they receive it. They were true to their word. I did notice a difference between the slides. This one is definately machined a little wider at the breech face. With my old slide I litterally could not take a piece of spent brass and slide it up under the extractor with some brass. Maybe someone at Ruger grabbed a slide that hadn't been finished yet. I don't know. It functions just fine since I got it back. Right now I'm not satisfied with the slide to frame fit. It rattles quite a bit for a new gun. If it rattled like that in the gun shop I wouldn't have brought it home. I'll send it back, I'm sure Ruger will make good on it. Like you said earlier "I guess with any gun or manufacturer, things can go wrong from time to time" I guess I got one of those, I still think it's a great gun and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Yeah, I wouldn't be to happy with a loose fit either. Mine locks up pretty tight, and seems to be a snug fit. Maybe Ruger will just replace the gun if you keep having problems with it?? Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Yes, anyone having an issue with feeding issues or anything else, try the Wilson Combat ETM magazines.
Why on earth someone would settle on a gun, were you couldn't use factory mags is beyond me. [rolleyes]
If I had to spend spend more money on new mags, after paying for a brand new gun, that gun would go back to the factory (as many times as needed) or be sold.........period! [frown]

Why on earth someone would settle on a gun, were you couldn't use factory mags is beyond me. [rolleyes]
If I had to spend spend more money on new mags, after paying for a brand new gun, that gun would go back to the factory (as many times as needed) or be sold.........period! [frown]

Agreed - I would consider the gun defective if it didn't work with it's own mags.

I guess I worded it wrong. I am just saying those ETM mags are very nice, and that is all I will buy from here on out. They are the same price as the Ruger ones if you were to buy extra, and they are better IMO. So, why spend $30 on extra Ruger mags, when you can spend $30 on the better Wilson ETM mags??

Agreed - I would consider the gun defective if it didn't work with it's own mags.

Like I said, I only had the issue with the 1 factory mag that came with gun, could have been an easy fix, I don't know. I chose to return it. All 4 of my Ruger factory mags work fine, as well as the 1 Colt 7 rounder I bought. But I prefer the Wilson ETM mags now that I have tried them.

Last edited:
I just spoke with a shop that had no interest in carrying them. They say that the gun has been having a lot of issues. Specially made it a point to call it a single shot 1911. Fire one shot then the magazine would eject on its own. Anyone hear about this issue?
Sounds to me like he can't get any in stock and is making excuses.

Yeah, I wouldn't be to happy with a loose fit either. Mine locks up pretty tight, and seems to be a snug fit. Maybe Ruger will just replace the gun if you keep having problems with it?? Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

They must have just slapped a new slide on it, ran 50 rounds through it (so they say) had no FTF and called it good. When I got it back it fed everything with no issues. Its just no where as tight as I know it should be. FWIW, I ran mine with Chip McCormick 8 rd mags. I prefer those to the Ruger mags. I'm sure in the end it'll all be good.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Two days after I bought my Ruger 1911, I shot around 100 rds from Blazer, plus few other people at the range, who wanted to try my new 1911 (Some used reload), there was no a single at all.

I've got one. I waited nearly 4 months to finally get it. It contantly FTF with WWB & Federals, Remington ran fine. The cases were hanging up @ the breach face. I only had .001" clearance. The Win brass wouldn't even get up to the extractor. It simply would not feed Winchester brass. I found this ironic since that was what the fired case was in the little yellow envelope supplied with the gun. I noticed the Rem brass had a taper to the rim and it was just a bit smaller than the Win. I guess it was just enough that the gun ran flawless with the Remington ammo. It was also pretty accurate, it would put 8 round in a hole the size of a quarter @ 30' in fact 4 of the rounds were in the same hole. I called Ruger an they had me ship it back to them. Ruger provided the shipping label, as they should. I got the gun back two weeks to the day from when they received it. Ruger put a new slide on it. It feeds anything I put through it now. I measured this slide at the breach face and I now have ~.010" clearance. However I noticed this slide to frame fit is no where as tight as my first slide. It literally rattles quite a bit compared to my first slide. It also doesn't shoot as accurate as the first one. At first I thought it may be me so I stopped at my LGS to check to see the difference between the gun they have on display. There's a significant difference, so much so that I plan to call Ruger tomorrow and send it back.

I had the same problem(FTF). I fix it myself. I just took some material out from the breach face and polished both sides. works perfect know with hollow points and my reloads.

Last edited:
I had the same problem(FTF). I fix it myself. I just took some material out from the breach face and polished both sides. works perfect know with hollow points and my reloads.
Great, after all the reviews I read now you guys are coming out of the woodwork. J/k I was going to do that but I figured if it didn't correct it and I had to send it back to Ruger I didn't want to give them an excuse to void my warranty. For what guns cost nowadays, is it too much to ask for them to perform as they should out of the box? It seems like this is the norm lately. Order gun, await delivery, test fire, malfunction,send back to manufacturer.Can you imagine what people would do if they went to Best Buy and bought a $700 - $1000 hdtv and got home and it had a fuzzy picture. Then be referred to the manufacturer and be told, "run it for a few hundred hours, if it doesn't clear up mail it back to us for repairs." Why do we put up with it?

3 months and counting on the FD list for an SR1911..............TICK-TOCK, TICK-TOCK. [rofl]

Well, I'm out.........after 3 months of waiting I finally took my deposit back. [frown]
I'm using the deposit towards a Colt MKIV/ Series 70 I found. [smile]
Can you believe it though..........It was easier to get my hands on a new Colt 1911, then get a Ruger SR1911 from FD. [laugh] (Not their fault, I'm sure)

I hope you all enjoy your Rugers, good luck with them. [grin]

Well, I'm out.........after 3 months of waiting I finally took my deposit back. [frown]
Can you believe it though..........It was easier to get my hands on a new Colt 1911, then get a Ruger SR1911 from FD. [laugh] (Not their fault, I'm sure)

Very disappointing. You can get one at FS if you still want one. Just call and they will put your name on their list with no deposit. In a few weeks, you'll probably have one.

Enjoy that Colt and maybe we can get the siblings together sometime at a green shoot!

I Do Not Know if they have any extra, but I just got a call from FS and they have my SR1911 order in stock and ready for pick up. Might want to call and see if they have anymore.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom