• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which 1911?

Here's what's sure to be an unpopular suggestion.

I have three Kimber 1911's, a matched set in .45 and a stainless Target-II in 9mm. If you're thinking at all of 9mm, that Target-II is a very nice handling gun.

Edited to add pic i just took

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I just shot a very nice kimber when I took a friend to the range. His dad passed away and handed it down to him. So it was from a time when kimber made very nice guns. I also shot another friend’s kimber from the 80’s and it was great too.

I just don’t think modern ones are the same

Why’s that? Have a couple of S&W 1911s that function just fine without any upgrades needed. One in 9mm that I use for pin shoots with 1000s of rounds through it. To each their own but see no issue with S&W firearms
Probably because their QC has been very questionable in the past, and that type of institutional reluctance sticks around for a long time, even if most of them produced today are fine.

In reality I think either you choose will be fine. I have an E Series smith and Wesson with roughly 3k rounds fired and no failures of any kind. I also have an original colt series 70, a colt competition and a Springfield TRP full rail...all work just fine.

In reality I think either you choose will be fine. I have an E Series smith and Wesson with roughly 3k rounds fired and no failures of any kind. I also have an original colt series 70, a colt competition and a Springfield TRP full rail...all work just fine.
My dad has an E-Series and it's actually a nice gun except for the fact that the safety fell off the gun within the first few hundred rounds but I took it to a good gunsmith who got it fitted properly.

i've had an e series for several years. bought it on impulse at 4seasons. it's as good as any 1911 i own in the price range. i'm very lucky with smiths, i got another super nice trigger on this gun. not finicky either on what it eats. it likes my 180 gr. target loads which is good, i got tons loaded. for never been tweaked with, it shoots some super groups when i do my part. yeah, a competitive pistol for the price point. i generally don't listen to people, i buy what i want.

Visited my local gun store and they have a Colt Series 70 1911 in very good shape on consignment for $700. Gave it a serious look and had to force myself to leave it behind. Need another 1911 like a hole in the head.

Since you passed on the series 70. Can you share more details?
This is my first 1911 so I probably have no clue what I am talking about but, it wasn't the 70 series that steered me away from the colt. It was the reports of bad QC and non-existent customer service. I would still love to find an older Colt, maybe a delta elite in 10mm...

I had not considered Springfield before asking around here. Rumor was they are an Anit-2A shill company. After looking into it, I think they messed up a little and then apologized. Enough people seem to like them. My BIL has a milspec and I liked it, so I started looking into them a bit more.

The SA is closers to the original design than the S&W. It has a titanium firing pin to improve drop safety with no firing pin block and no external extractor.

After looking into the SA line up I was between the garrison and the A1 loaded. My LGS had a blued garrison & a stainless loaded. I was in favor of the stainless and besides the finish the loaded gets you a full length guide rod and ambi-safety for less than $150 more.

So far I have shot one box of cheap ammo through it and I am very happy.

Back
Top Bottom