• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger 1911

Just logged on to ask about the Ruger 1911 myself.

Anyone got one in stock?

What's the best price?

Looking for one

THANKS-DOWNWIND

Not looking to hi-jack the thread, just wondering.

My brother picked one up Sarurday ( his first gun) from Four Seasons. They had 8 when we walked in and 3 IIRC when we left. Solid build, great feel, I think he may a great purchase. $679 as I recall.

I have not shot one yet but I have read about them. They keep the cost down by using a cast frame instead of a machined frame.

Reviews I read said that it ran very well and was accurate. Not S&W Pro shop accurate but more than accurate enough for a self defense gun and the price is right.

The most favorable comment I read was that it will shoot and cycle anything you feed it, a must in a SD gun.

Last edited:
I was waiting till I put my deposit down, [smile], but First Defense in Uxbridge has the best price in the state at $599. No one is going to beat that price. At least not out of the 30 shops I called. They are on back order like everyone else is, but I don't mind waiting. Went in tonight got my name put on the list, paid for it, and now just need to wait for it to arrive. Everywhere else has it for $650, $699, $679, IDC I think was as high as $740, so for $599 I don't see anyone beating that price.

And like always, Dennis and Shelly and crew are great people to work with. I think I found my go to shop from now on. Can't ask for a nicer crew. Whatever they don't have they will order, and get it reasonably quick.

Last edited:
I have to agree with ntomsw on this one. Dennis and Shelly run a great shop. I'm in there almost once a week buying stuff. I was one of the first people to put my my name on their list for a SR1911. I just picked mine up from them on 11-8-11 for $599 minus tax. I finaly got a chance to shoot it on Sunday. For the money you can't go wrong.

I know it's a "1911", but I really like the looks of that thing, and I am a fan of Ruger anyway. I think they make great solid guns. I can't wait to get mine! I think they said there is 4 or 5 people in front of me, so hopefully I don't have to wait long. I may have seen you in the shop and not even known it Tattoo72

It is possible. I'm always stopping in because it is right down the street from where I work. If you see a bald guy with tattoos wearing an Imperial Ford uniform then it's probably me.

Not sure if anyone is going to price match First Defense's price of $599. That being said, FS normally does have the lowest prices on things when I look at their website, so I was surprised to see them asking $699 for that 1911. Only price higher then that is at IDC for $749

I am a big fan of my SR1911. I posted up pics in the 1911 and New Acquisition Galleries when I first got it. I made an impulse buy and picked up some Hogue Wrap-arounds for it. I'm not sure how I feel about the grips yet...haven't had a chance to shoot it since putting them on.

Original:

New Grips:

Not sure if anyone is going to price match First Defense's price of $599.

You sorta insinuated they don't have them in stock, which basically makes the price invalid. $599 is an excellent price... if you can actually buy it
for that.

BTW I think FS is like $680 or something like that for cash, on that gun. Although they could have bumped it up given the demand.

-Mike

I am a big fan of my SR1911. I posted up pics in the 1911 and New Acquisition Galleries when I first got it. I made an impulse buy and picked up some Hogue Wrap-arounds for it. I'm not sure how I feel about the grips yet...haven't had a chance to shoot it since putting them on.

Original:

New Grips:

I like the look of the original grip better, but the new grip does look comfy. Be sure to let us know how you like it after you've had a chance to shoot it a bit. I'll probably be in the market for one of these in the spring.

I'm not a fan of wrap-around grips. For my medium-sized hands, the grip circumference of a 1911 is just about perfect. Wrap-around grips increase the circumference too much for me. And grips with finger grooves are the spawn of the devil, as far as I'm concerned. YMMV.

I'm not a fan of wrap-around grips. For my medium-sized hands, the grip circumference of a 1911 is just about perfect. Wrap-around grips increase the circumference too much for me. And grips with finger grooves are the spawn of the devil, as far as I'm concerned. YMMV.

I have quite large hands so was thinking that the extra circumference would be nice. Why the hate for finger grooves?

You sorta insinuated they don't have them in stock, which basically makes the price invalid. $599 is an excellent price... if you can actually buy it
for that.

BTW I think FS is like $680 or something like that for cash, on that gun. Although they could have bumped it up given the demand.

-Mike

True. I know because I have one on order with them. I see your point, but I also don't mind waiting a few weeks if need be for the lowest price around. It's not like I need the gun right now.

Those wrap around grips I am not a big fan of. I like the standard grips better. They look like the Pachmayr grips that was on a Colt ACE I just sold, and those were ugly. They didn't feel right in my hand.

Everywhere I have called is out of stock anyway. So no matter where you go you'll have to wait.

Last edited:
I have quite large hands so was thinking that the extra circumference would be nice.
Then they might work for you.

Why the hate for finger grooves?
I compete in IDPA, which requires a fast draw. You don't always get exactly the same grip when drawing quickly, and with finger grooves that makes it feel wrong when your grip is 1/8" off.

Why the hate for finger grooves?
Many grooves can spread your fingers, which weakens your grip. One design (that almost no one uses, but they should) has a single groove for the middle two fingers; when they're together, it's a very strong grip. (Just drop by an Aikido school and ask for a demonstration of the kotegaeshi, and you'll understand!)

Happened to be at IDC on Black Friday, and a customer bought their last Ruger 1911 for $619. Overheard they're taking layaways for the same price.

Not to drift the thread too far, but I've had mixed experiences with those kinds of grips.

The Hogues did not work for me. They actually altered the natural point of aim of the 1911. I think it is because the grooves are too wide for my small hands.

I have the Pachmayrs on the Kimber I have and the Mutt gun. Eventually on the mutt gun I'll probably actually get rid of them once I modify a set of wood panels to suit that gun. (That gun has a shorter than normal frame, so it needs custom panels for it. ) That gun also has front strap checkering on it that is a shame to have covered up. The Kimber is keeping the Pachmayrs because I absolutely HATE the front strap profile on Kimbers, its too narrow and oddly shaped for my taste. The Ruger profile shown here on the SR1911 is way better, Springfield, S&W, you name it... pretty much every brand except for Kimber does it right. The grips add some needed bulk to the front strap. If I ever get the Kimber refinished I might pay to have the front strap of the frame reprofiled (maybe get the hump ground flat or something?) but given the likey expense (and possible lack of material up there to take off) that gun will probably live with those grips forever. [laugh]

The only other gun I liked wraparounds on was the Sig P239, because they really tamed the P239's famed tendency to be muzzle-flippy.

I have a crapload (well, probably a half dozen) of Sig wraparounds for other Sigs. One of these days I will dust them off and Karma them all on the board to some Sig owner. [laugh]

-Mike

The Kimber is keeping the Pachmayrs because I absolutely HATE the front strap profile on Kimbers, its too narrow and oddly shaped for my taste. The Ruger profile shown here on the SR1911 is way better, Springfield, S&W, you name it... pretty much every brand except for Kimber does it right.
Just goes to show how much it is personal taste. I prefer the Kimber front strap profile. I have a Springfield 1911 and absolutely hate its front strap profile -- too square and blocky for my taste. Btw, my Wilson Combat 1911 has a front strap profile that is very similar to that of the Kimber.

Just goes to show how much it is personal taste. I prefer the Kimber front strap profile. I have a Springfield 1911 and absolutely hate its front strap profile -- too square and blocky for my taste. Btw, my Wilson Combat 1911 has a front strap profile that is very similar to that of the Kimber.

True enough.

Another possibility is that not every Kimber is like that. Maybe mine is just weird because it's not checkered.

For example I held a Desert Warrior the other day and I didn't notice it to be particularly obnoxious, but that gun's strap is also checkered... maybe that rounds it out a little bit. It'd be interesting to see if there is a difference between an uncheckered Kimber and one that has checkering.

It'd be interesting if someone did a photo montage comparing them all from narrowest to widest. I don't have that much
money to buy the 8 1911s to do it justice, though.

-Mike

I got mine a few weeks ago from four seasons, every one of my buddies loved it, i love it. I shot it next to a Remington R1, everything was including looks was better on the Ruger, its $679 at AFS with cash or $699 with a credit card, last time i checked, they didnt have any, i think i got the 2nd to last one they had in stock a few weeks ago. I back this thing 110%, enjoy. PM if you have any questions about it

Back
Top Bottom