Pocket Carry Mace/Pepper Spray - What do you got?

I won't use mace in any of your crazy situations if I am armed. Your goal when armed is to defuse and avoid the situation, not increase it. Another PD and you may have lost your LTC for macing someone walking up to your car.
sorry but if someone is taking a swing at me through my window and I'm stopped in traffic, that's a perfect situation for pepper spray. The person getting out of their car to start a fight is the one escalating, and always in the wrong. Pepper spray is a defensive tool, it's used to diffuse violent situations. You have it ass backwards.

I won't use mace in any of your crazy situations if I am armed. Your goal when armed is to defuse and avoid the situation, not increase it. Another PD and you may have lost your LTC for macing someone walking up to your car.
an unarmed drunk or beligerent a**h*** trying to fight or cause you harm over nothing is not a crazy situation, that kind of thing happens all the time if you actually venture outside of your house once in a while, and OC is your avenue to diffuse it. Talking or walking away doesn't always work

Last edited:
Who's pulling a gun in those situations? Mace is a weapon and I would not deploy mace unless it's the same situation as needing a fire arm.

Mace is liquid courage to some and lowers the bar.
So you'd rather get punched in the face or get into a fist fight in the middle of the street or public place and catch assault and battery charges? There are nut jubs out there that get into ego battles over nothing, lots of people on edge ready to go off on someone over nothing, aggressive pan handlers, etc. OC is for those situations.

Taking things out of contexts have we. I said who would, as in not me in those situations.

I'm glad you can tell when someone is unarmed.
Sorry. I don't see it as taking things out of context. Given a choice, spray juice not bullets unless the SOB coming in your direction is armed.
That's how I was taught in 1981 and juice wasn't in the subject matter.

That is one of the dumbest things I have read in a while.

Who's pulling a gun in those situations? Mace is a weapon and I would not deploy mace unless it's the same situation as needing a fire arm.

I spoke too soon. Project much?

Cold Steel "Inferno".
From another thread it was mentioned that a good first resort to self defense would be to use Mace/Pepper Spray before you start having to shoot. OK, I'll buy into that. So my question becomes what is a good brand to carry that is small enough to pocket carry? Not looking for something that will look like I have a huge boner while I'm carrying it! [laugh]

What do you got?

"I would not deploy mace unless it's the same situation as needing a fire arm"

According to my training, this is where you are wrong. I’ve been trained that I only pull my firearm when I intend to kill someone because I honesty believe they are about to kill/seriously injure me or some other innocent person. There are many situations that fall well below that threat level but still justify some level of force to protect yourself. Particular if you are small and/or elderly and unable to handle a situation that is degrading into a physical altercation.

This is my laptop backpack, that’s a can of bear spray sticking out. I usually sling the pack over my right shoulder and it’s set up so that if I swing the backpack in front of me I can deploy it w my left hand without removing it from the backpack. When I’m in the car the backpack is behind the passenger seat so I can reach back and grab it. Started carrying this way back when protesters were harassing people in cars, figured if I ever ended up in a situation were I was blocked and being threatened by a group and couldn’t get away, it might be more useful than my EDC

I also carry a pocket sized Sabre Red on me most of the time.

Attachments

• F40C506B-CBF4-48F5-A063-3DF4668BA1FB.jpeg
    F40C506B-CBF4-48F5-A063-3DF4668BA1FB.jpeg
    539.7 KB · Views: 13
When I’m in the car the backpack is behind the passenger seat so I can reach back and grab it. Started carrying this way back when protesters were harassing people in cars, figured if I ever ended up in a situation were I was blocked and being threatened by a group and couldn’t get away, it might be more useful than my EDC
Hope you tip the pack over so the spray's hidden from view.

Regardless of your driving record and where you drive,
you are far more likely to have a cop with a flashlight
notice it at a traffic stop than you are to have to fight off a rioter/road rager.

Anything they can see through the side window that intrigues them
becomes a pretext for a search of the passenger compartment.

Hope you tip the pack over so the spray's hidden from view.

Regardless of your driving record and where you drive,
you are far more likely to have a cop with a flashlight
notice it at a traffic stop than you are to have to fight off a rioter/road rager.

Anything they can see through the side window that intrigues them
becomes a pretext for a search of the passenger compartment.

I hear you, I’m not overly worried. I carry it everywhere and have never had a cop or security give it a second look. The green nozzle shows up a lot more in the pic than it does in person & it really blends in.

Plus, I don’t believe it’s illegal to have bear spray in one’s backpack.

Bear spray sounds like it would stop someone faster than defense OC spray, but it's actually about half the strength of that designed to stop a would be human aggressor. Since bears have a much stronger sense of smell it takes a less concentrated dose to deter them.

Bear spray sounds like it would stop someone faster than defense OC spray, but it's actually about half the strength of that designed to stop a would be human aggressor. Since bears have a much stronger sense of smell it takes a less concentrated dose to deter them.
I never thought it was stronger, it just comes in much bigger containers and shoots much further.

Gotcha. No I’m familiar with them, carried and used different types for a long time. I think we’re talking about the same thing, what you call gel we called foam.

Looks like silly string coming out and sticks to the surface (face/forehead etc).

Something to be aware of with those gels/foams is that because of the way they kind of stick with that thick formula, they can also be wiped away by the intended target and thrown back at you by hand.

We were issued that stuff for a few years until it happened so many times we went back to regular spray to avoid that issue any further
Gel is gel, like the little cake icing gels. Foam is foam, like shaving cream. Heard about the foam being wiped off and thrown back. First time I got sprayed (to teach) they used foam on me. I wiped a lot of it off and patted my face with snow. Still burned; didn't think of throwing it back at the time.

Kimber PepperBlaster is my current choice. Seems less susceptible to heat/cold than just "canned" stuff, and seems to get through the wind a little better. Still some blow back, but less.

This is my laptop backpack, that’s a can of bear spray sticking out. I usually sling the pack over my right shoulder and it’s set up so that if I swing the backpack in front of me I can deploy it w my left hand without removing it from the backpack. When I’m in the car the backpack is behind the passenger seat so I can reach back and grab it. Started carrying this way back when protesters were harassing people in cars, figured if I ever ended up in a situation were I was blocked and being threatened by a group and couldn’t get away, it might be more useful than my EDC

I also carry a pocket sized Sabre Red on me most of the time.
Using bear spray on humans in MA can get you jammed up.

Ive looked high and low for that stuff in local stores - where’d you pick it up?
thanks

Right, OK, I guess I’ll be hitting up my Maineiac relatives for a care/of shipment

thank you
Seen it in most gun shops. Even some hardware stores and Walmart in NH and VT. Bass Pro, Shooters, etc.
Gel takes a lot longer to kick in than the regular stream spray. Doesn't get into mucus membranes as quickly. Gel might give an attacker the second or two they need to cause some damage. I've been sprayed with the fox 5.3 stream, sabre red stream, and a sabre gel. The gel took a few second before it really bothered me, and the gel is more designed for correctional officer uses so they don't get it all over them or another prisoner if they spray someone in a cell. In that situation they have time to wait a second or two for it to kick in.
That's why we used in Corrections - for vehicle transport so we wouldn't take ourselves out, and in the Kitchen so we wouldn't ruin all of the food again (after one use for a fight there).
(If you get wanderlust, just remember:
NJ legal limit is 3/4oz or 20g; not sure which).
Lots of wonky laws. Was traveling from NH to FL. Only 3/4oz in NJ. Only sold in pharmacies/gun shops in NY, maybe with a percentage limit, but could be 2oz. No more than 4oz in NC. Crazy and stupid. And Fox was formed, they say, since MI would allow greater than 2% OC (although it's the capsaicinoid strength that does the work - percentage determines how long the effects last).

Good to learn that the bear sprays are actually less potent, since bears are more sensitive. Do like the distance of the stream, though!

Now, as far as saps, and sprays and anything else you might plan on carrying and tossing, don't forget about fingerprints. Just sayin' ;)

Last edited:
I never thought it was stronger, it just comes in much bigger containers and shoots much further.
Correct it does have a different spray pattern and reaches a greater distance. You definitely want the bear to change it's mind before its on top of you.
Using bear spray on humans in MA can get you jammed up.
The opposite is also true. Using the higher concentrated "human" spray on a bear can be viewed as animal cruelty.

Plus, I don’t believe it’s illegal to have bear spray in one’s backpack.
Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt Dept.
"Concealed" Means Concealed Division
"Farfetched <R> Us"

It's all about the pretext:
it's not what they see,
it's what they claim they saw.

Plus, by definition you've put the backpack where you can reach it.
If the LEO is amped up enough, that's half the Terry grounds right there
for getting "disarmed" for the duration of the stop.
All they need to do is feel endangered.

From there it's a slippery slope to tossing the whole passenger compartment.
Most newsworthy traffic stops involve finding contraband that way.

Not trying to accuse you of running fentanyl under your car seats.
Jus' sayin' no one needs that.

And, if you're actually carrying,
once you're invited to exit the car roadside,
the carry piece becomes yet another complication.

The camo may be as simple as sticking a koozie over the can.

Your call; thanks for your consideration.

Good to know, thanks. I imagine if I ever actually had to use it the legal ramifications would be the least of my issues.
Not likely as long as you use it for the right reasons, police often look at OC as a defensive tool same as we would. I would get some Sabre red or Fox 5.3 in a regular flip top stream spray and get an inert trainer and practice with it. Also important to get an extra can and spray yourself with it or have someone spray you so you know what it's like and how to fight through it. If you use it you will get some on yourself in many cases.

Not likely as long as you use it for the right reasons, police often look at OC as a defensive tool same as we would. I would get some Sabre red or Fox 5.3 in a regular flip top stream spray and get an inert trainer and practice with it. Also important to get an extra can and spray yourself with it or have someone spray you so you know what it's like and how to fight through it. If you use it you will get some on yourself in many cases.

I do carry a personal size Sabre Red spray and I have experienced it's effects.

Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt Dept.
"Concealed" Means Concealed Division
"Farfetched <R> Us"

It's all about the pretext:
it's not what they see,
it's what they claim they saw.

Plus, by definition you've put the backpack where you can reach it.
If the LEO is amped up enough, that's half the Terry grounds right there
for getting "disarmed" for the duration of the stop.
All they need to do is feel endangered.

From there it's a slippery slope to tossing the whole passenger compartment.
Most newsworthy traffic stops involve finding contraband that way.

Not trying to accuse you of running fentanyl under your car seats.
Jus' sayin' no one needs that.

And, if you're actually carrying,
once you're invited to exit the car roadside,
the carry piece becomes yet another complication.

The camo may be as simple as sticking a koozie over the can.

Your call; thanks for your consideration.

That's a whole lot of what-ifs involving a cop seeing something he's extremely unlikely to see, something that is perfectly legal to possess. It's in a plain black sleeve against a black backpack backdrop, the only part sticking out is the black plastic handle/nozzle (w/ white safety thing), nothing reflective to catch a flashlight plus I usually don't have it in the car at night. By the time the cop walks up to my window it's likely he already knows I have an LTC. I'm also a clean cut middle aged white business type guy in a newer vehicle, I probably look more like a cop than the cop does himself... I do gray man well.

The pic I posted earlier is a close up that highlights it. Here's a pic at a more realistic angle/distance w/ full fluorescent lighting on it, not through a tinted glass window. I am not the least bit worried about it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 9
Has anyone bought a Byrna pistol? It’s a co2 powered pistol that has a magazine that shoots 68mm pepper balls and solid polymer balls.

I was thinking of buying one for the wife

Here’s the ceo getting hit with a solid polymer ball
EAA1B45D-579D-4A6E-BFB8-CFD6FDB87E26.png

Comes in a kit
BEDCF134-CB18-44B1-AFF4-1118E165A613.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom