Pocket Carry Mace/Pepper Spray - What do you got?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
From another thread it was mentioned that a good first resort to self defense would be to use Mace/Pepper Spray before you start having to shoot. OK, I'll buy into that. So my question becomes what is a good brand to carry that is small enough to pocket carry? Not looking for something that will look like I have a huge boner while I'm carrying it! [laugh]

What do you got?

The “asp” pepper spray is in a nice knitted aluminum tube like a penlight, it is really durable I have one to my daughter as Keychain

I’ve got Fox Labs “Mean Green.” I just ordered it from Midway USA after people on the other thread you may or may not be referencing said you couldn’t order it from Amazon. Well they were out of the highest rated pepper spray, so I bought this one. I’ve never used it, it came last weekend. But if I attend a counter-protest at Beacon hill over our guns in February and hose down a couple nit-wits I’ll let you know how it runs :p

6379BFD6-3421-4D5F-8E1C-8CAC2F4EE434.jpeg

Ordered a few of these 'bear' sprays online mostly for the wife to carry when out walking the dogs at night. They are 'foggers' and not sprays which claim to have a better success rate in windy conditions. Its also 'all natural' - no dyes, gels, etc. - so better for the planet? Didn't care about that, just wanted to find a vendor who would ship. Very small form factor is nice though ~ 3" x 1"

I think the max fog distance is 6ft which is why I prefer to carry

Pepper Spray.PNG

Last edited:
I always carry a tube of Sabre pepper spray/gel and put a piece of scotch tape over the trigger so it won't move in my pocket. Doesn't stand out.

The “asp” pepper spray is in a nice knitted aluminum tube like a penlight, it is really durable I have one to my daughter as Keychain

Did you guys test it at all? I bought one too a while back, with an inert tester. Being someone that’s used pepper spray extensively, i was wildly under impressed with its force, distance and the amount of spray before it dribbled dry. It’s kind of a one shot hope it works deal. I won’t carry mine anymore. Went back to a normal size canister.

UDAP Jogger Fogger in a Sticky brand double mag pocket holster. Holster keeps it oriented correctly to avoid looking like a boner. Looks to be around the same size as the Fox brand earlier in the thread. Never had a problem with them shipping here either fwiw.

Eta- now that I look pretty sure mine's smaller. 1.9 0z.
20200828_194643.jpg 20200828_195441.jpg

Last edited:
I’lll recall some legal advice:

1. Carry a useless pepper-spray pen in your pants pocket
2. Discharge that on the ground surreptitiously before the threat becomes “real”
3. Shoot to defend

You have evidence of attempt to use non-legal means.

But I doubt I’d have the time - perhaps I’m just slow...

Can I ask how much? I need to order some for wife and I.
$15 each cash or Venmo at his shop in Littleton. Tax included. Or he will mail them if you pay for the actual shipping. I think I was between seven and eight dollars for priority 1 day.
You can contact him here.

Last edited:
From another thread it was mentioned that a good first resort to self defense would be to use Mace/Pepper Spray before you start having to shoot. OK, I'll buy into that. So my question becomes what is a good brand to carry that is small enough to pocket carry? Not looking for something that will look like I have a huge boner while I'm carrying it! [laugh]

What do you got?
Jill carries Cold Steel's "Inferno" brand pepper spray and a 50,000 volt stun gun. I carry a 4" Cold Steel tanto point "Voyager" lock blade knife, a can of Sabre brand pepper spray and a compact 6oz flat sap.

Haven’t heard of ‘gel’, do you mean foam or is gel an actual new product?
Post #4

Sabre Pepper Gel does not atomize like traditional pepper spray, meaning it virtually eliminates wind blowback and only affects what it directly contacts. This product offers a 20% greater range (17') for protection at a safer distance. It features a locking top safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge when you're carrying it, and a wall-mount clip to keep it handy at home.

• Maximum stopping power-maximum strength formula is backed by Sabre's in-house high performance liquid chromatography laboratory which guarantees maximum stopping power, eliminating the 30% failure rate experienced with other pepper spray brands.
  • Sabre is the #1 pepper spray brand trusted by police and consumers worldwide including NY, Chicago PD, LA County Sheriff's and U.S. Marshals and ISO 9001:2008 certified with a 4-year shelf life. Sabre pepper spray is Made In The USA.

I carry and my wife and daughters carry Kimber. Although I’m thinking of carrying Hornet Spray in vehicles as well. But someone suggested Hornet Spray was bad from a legal point of view.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster

And not very effective most attakers would still keep pursuing after being sprayed, even after a direct hit in the eyes.

Haven’t heard of ‘gel’, do you mean foam or is gel an actual new product?

Gel has been around for a long time. It is not aerosolized. It comes out as a stream of gel. So it must hit someones face. A spray will cover a greater area, and can blow back to you.
There is also a stream, I assume it's closer to a spray but with wider aperture. All 3 come in pocket versions with flip top safety cap.

Gel has been around for a long time. It is not aerosolized. It comes out as a stream of gel. So it must hit someones face. A spray will cover a greater area, and can blow back to you.
There is also a stream, I assume it's closer to a spray but with wider aperture. All 3 come in pocket versions with flip top safety cap.

Gotcha. No I’m familiar with them, carried and used different types for a long time. I think we’re talking about the same thing, what you call gel we called foam.

Looks like silly string coming out and sticks to the surface (face/forehead etc).

Something to be aware of with those gels/foams is that because of the way they kind of stick with that thick formula, they can also be wiped away by the intended target and thrown back at you by hand.

We were issued that stuff for a few years until it happened so many times we went back to regular spray to avoid that issue any further.

Did you guys test it at all? I bought one too a while back, with an inert tester. Being someone that’s used pepper spray extensively, i was wildly under impressed with its force, distance and the amount of spray before it dribbled dry. It’s kind of a one shot hope it works deal. I won’t carry mine anymore. Went back to a normal size canister.
Yeah it has a smaller quantity of spray compared with others, but its convenient size and shape makes it more likely to be carried. Sort of like the pocket pistol vs the 1911.

Back
Top Bottom