Pocket Carry Mace/Pepper Spray - What do you got?

Not in MA. MGL requires that only gun shops can sell OC/Mace. A quick search of HF's website claims that Amherst, NH has it.

BTW, I never heard that Mace (product, not brand) was declared illegal. My older Sabre Red had a mix of OC and CS (Mace). I'm unsure of the current formulation.
Ok. I know that store. I'll take a blow by tomorrow. Might as well stop in to Shooters Deuce...
Thanks Len. [smile]

Not in MA. MGL requires that only gun shops can sell OC/Mace. A quick search of HF's website claims that Amherst, NH has it.

BTW, I never heard that Mace (product, not brand) was declared illegal. My older Sabre Red had a mix of OC and CS (Mace). I'm unsure of the current formulation.

Pretty sure it was back in the early or mid nineties Len, that‘s what we were told in the academy because guys kept referring to it as MACE which was the norm back then, one of the less lethal instructors told us that it had been declared not safe or something due to chemical make up. 🤷‍♂️

I read somewhere on-line that the original MACE was toxic if exposed to on a regular basis, like Law Enforcement situations...

Pretty sure it was back in the early or mid nineties Len, that‘s what we were told in the academy because guys kept referring to it as MACE which was the norm back then, one of the less lethal instructors told us that it had been declared not safe or something due to chemical make up. 🤷‍♂️
Remembering from my discussion with my first chief and what was in our armory, there were 3 chemicals: CN (allegedly very nasty or unstable, don't recall), CS and OC. IIRC military used CN. We had some mil-surp canisters of stuff, don't recall if CS or CN, but none was ever deployed or carried during my time on the job.

Remembering from my discussion with my first chief and what was in our armory, there were 3 chemicals: CN (allegedly very nasty or unstable, don't recall), CS and OC. IIRC military used CN. We had some mil-surp canisters of stuff, don't recall if CS or CN, but none was ever deployed or carried during my time on the job.

CS is what they used in the gas chambers/disco hut when I was in.

I believe the original MACE (product not company) contained CN, and as you said it was highly toxic and unstable which is why it was put on the back shelves and discontinued/banned.

Last edited:
Post #4

Sabre Pepper Gel does not atomize like traditional pepper spray, meaning it virtually eliminates wind blowback and only affects what it directly contacts. This product offers a 20% greater range (17') for protection at a safer distance. It features a locking top safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge when you're carrying it, and a wall-mount clip to keep it handy at home.

• Maximum stopping power-maximum strength formula is backed by Sabre's in-house high performance liquid chromatography laboratory which guarantees maximum stopping power, eliminating the 30% failure rate experienced with other pepper spray brands.
  • Sabre is the #1 pepper spray brand trusted by police and consumers worldwide including NY, Chicago PD, LA County Sheriff's and U.S. Marshals and ISO 9001:2008 certified with a 4-year shelf life. Sabre pepper spray is Made In The USA.
Gel takes a lot longer to kick in than the regular stream spray. Doesn't get into mucus membranes as quickly. Gel might give an attacker the second or two they need to cause some damage. I've been sprayed with the fox 5.3 stream, sabre red stream, and a sabre gel. The gel took a few second before it really bothered me, and the gel is more designed for correctional officer uses so they don't get it all over them or another prisoner if they spray someone in a cell. In that situation they have time to wait a second or two for it to kick in.

I am pretty sure that its Saber (red) gel.

I am not really all that keen on gel but its one of the few offerings around here that comes in the high pressure can with the flip top safety. I wont mess around with any of these novelty units that dangle from a key chain or discharge from a pen. Carrying a decent 2.5 oz unit does not take up much space.

First tell me when or in what situation are you deploying mace/pepper spray?
Road rage, unarmed mental patient a**h*** follows you off the highway and comes up to your window bitching like an angry karen and takes a swing at you and tries to punch your truck because he thinks you cut him off. I keep a can of Sabre or Fox Labs 5.3 in both of my doors for this. I have used it to, with the almost comical report from Palmer PD to prove it. They didn't even question it, one of the cops kind of laughed at the guy's pain when I showed him what kind of OC I used.

Last edited:
Skip the mace if you have an LTC.
so what do you do if an unarmed attacker comes up to you and you aren't feeling frisky? you can't shoot him because he's unarmed and you still have a duty to retreat because your outside your home, you maybe can't outrun him, you also can't risk grappling with the guy because he might find your gun, and lord knows none of us are using a lvl 2 or 3 retention holster IWB....good quality flip top stream spray like fox labs 5.3 or sabre red will save your ass in that situation almost every time.

I won't use mace in any of your crazy situations if I am armed. Your goal when armed is to defuse and avoid the situation, not increase it. Another PD and you may have lost your LTC for macing someone walking up to your car.

I won't use mace in any of your crazy situations if I am armed. Your goal when armed is to defuse and avoid the situation, not increase it. Another PD and you may have lost your LTC for macing someone walking up to your car.
And drawing a gun or threatening to do so will lead to criminal charges in almost every town.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!!

Having multiple options is always a good thing.

I carried and used pepper spray generously for over 20yrs working the hood. Sure I also carried a pistol, but the pepper spray and good situational awareness kept me from ever having to fire my pistol during a fight, and there were many many fights with guys much bigger, stronger and meaner than I was.

It’s a fantastic force multiplier, and unless you’re Jackie Chan or something, you’re selling yourself short by not familiarizing yourself with it and using it to great advantage, both physically and legally.

Who's pulling a gun in those situations? Mace is a weapon and I would not deploy mace unless it's the same situation as needing a fire arm.

Mace is liquid courage to some and lowers the bar.
That’s a ridiculous statement. Hey to each his own, I wouldn’t try to force a can on you if you don’t want it, but I’d venture a guess you’ve never even owned a can of pepper spray, which is why your posts on the subject are so far off base, comically so from my experience.

Back
Top Bottom