• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One Gun a Month

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
Gov. Patrick proposes a "One Gun a Month" limit in Mass as a part of his anti crime initiative today.

Patrick also outlined anticrime legislation that would limit gun purchases to one per person per month and allow people with gun offenses waiting for trial to be held without bail after a hearing. With an executive order, Patrick said he also planned to create an anticrime council that draws from a variety of agencies and disciplines.

It begins.

Of course... the gun-grabbing asshat is a Brady campaign boot-licker...

Work closely with the Brady Campaign to End Handgun Violence to advance its current national legislative priority and limit gun buyers to purchasing one firearm a month and 12 in a year.

[angry]

http://www.patrickmurraytransition.org/reports/final/Public Safety Report.pdf

GOVERNOR PATRICK ANNOUNCES STATEWIDE ANTI-CRIME INITIATIVES
Plan includes statewide Anti-Crime Council, focuses on summer jobs, gun control, and youth violence

BOSTON – Thursday, April 5, 2007 – Governor Deval Patrick today announced a series of anti-crime initiatives including additional money for statewide summer jobs programs for at-risk youths; a new statewide Anti-Crime Council to help address gun and gang violence; and $2.8 million for Boston for prevention and intervention programs and increased enforcement.

“Violent crime is not just a Boston problem and it is not a new problem. It is a constant threat to the security and safety of all our families in communities across Massachusetts and requires a coordinated and comprehensive approach in order to provide and ensure stability for our streets,” Governor Patrick said. “This is critically important to this administration and we must step up our efforts not just in law enforcement but also in community-wide crime prevention, particularly as summer approaches, to allay fears of a further spike in violence.”

The anti-crime initiative immediately provides $5.4 million for a Statewide Summer Jobs Plan, including $4.4 million in Workforce Development Grants for Summer Jobs and $1 million in Byrne Memorial Grants for Summer Jobs. The package also provides $250,000 in matching grants to support Violence Intervention Advocates in emergency rooms statewide.

The package also provides the City of Boston with $550,000 toward prevention and community policing programs. The Administration also allocates $350,000 in new funds to bring total state grants for summer jobs programs in Boston to $2.25 million. State agencies also will partner with the Private Industry Council in Boston to offer summer jobs for at-risk youths through the “Classroom in the Workplace” program.

“The entire Commonwealth has a stake in our cities,” Lieutenant Governor Timothy Murray said. “We must view crime and violence in our urban neighborhoods as a problem that requires shared responsibility between all of us – including neighborhood residents, community leaders, religious leaders and, of course, government. And not just city government, but the state as well. It is only by coordinating our governmental resources – between the city and the state, and between particular agencies and departments of both – that we can successfully address this epidemic of crime and violence.”

Additionally, Governor Patrick announced he will issue an Executive Order creating a new, multi-agency, multi-disciplinary Anti-Crime Council to focus on the present challenges facing crime victims, social service providers and Massachusetts law enforcement organizations. The administration is also exploring how best to enhance information sharing between state agencies regarding at-risk juveniles – including school officials, juvenile court personnel and probation officers, representatives from district attorney’s offices, social workers from the Department of Social Services and others – in devising a comprehensive, coordinated response for meeting the needs of this vulnerable population.

The Patrick-Murray Administration will also file anti-crime legislation, which includes:

* Mandatory Post-release Supervision and Support for Re-Entry. Requires that all sentences to a jail, house of correction or state prison include a period of post-release supervision. Focuses on the 20,000 inmates released from incarceration each year. Importantly, 49 percent of all inmates recidivate within one year.
* One Gun Per Month. Limits gun buyers to the purchase of just one firearm per month, a measure already working in California, Maryland and Virginia. The measure targets “straw purchasers” who buy guns for convicted felons and others prohibited from owning firearms. Also augments the reporting requirements for private gun sales.
* Pre-trial Detention for Gun Offenses. Adds firearm offenses to the list of crimes considered in the “dangerousness hearing” statute, where, after a hearing, a person can be held without bail pending trial.
* Felony Punishment for Using a Firearm in a Crime of Violence. Any offender who commits a misdemeanor that involves the use of physical force against another while armed with a firearm will be punishable by up to 10 years in state prison.

http://mass.gov/?pageID=pressreleas...&prFile=agov3_pr_070405_crime_initiatives.xml

The last part is a move forward... however, even if it passes the legislature, it's doubtful any offender will even receive 1/3 of the max sentence.

[thinking]

I would be curious to know how many legal purchasers of guns who buy more than one per month in MA are suspected of selling them to unlicensed people.

If it is not a significant number, then I would like to know what the hell they think they are accomplishing. If it is, then why aren't these suspected straw purchasers being prosecuted?

Actually, I got my credit card bills last week - bad news. So I asked Deval to propose the law for me to help me control my spending. I hope you guys don't mind. But hey, less consumer spending, more savings. It's good for the economy, right? I'm sure Carl and the rest of Massachusetts' gun dealers won't mind.

An out and out total ban. Baby steps.

+1 JonJ... even the damn people that pass the laws know they don't
really accomplish anything towards the "publicly stated" goal.. but they
do know they are laying the foundation for future bans.

-Mike

The guy is a friggin idiot !!! As bad , or worse , than mumbles Menino . I think we all knew something like this was going to happen .

Over the edge and onto the slippery slope.

What will it be next year....one gun every two months?

What will it be two or three years form now, one gun every six months?

What comes after that....a limit on how many one can have in there possession?

All the while, criminals will get and have all the guns they want, crime will continue to rise and the same problems will continue.

I don't buy one gun a month now, but if it passes, I will make sure I do even if I have to get a second job to afford it.
This whole mode of thinking by politicians is proof of a couple of things, one being that they refuse to address the real issues that are at the root of 99% of the criminal activity....drugs, gangs, generational welfare, generational criminals, lax punishment for offenders, and two, their primary agenda to disarm the population by any means they can, step by step.
Any politician who thinks that limiting the purchase of guns by law abiding citizens is going to solve ANYTHING should be forcibly arrested and institutionalized.

Of course he did. As everyone knows it's the law abiding gun owners who are going around shooting defenseless teens in Boston's neighborhoods. Limiting you, me, Derek, Lynne, and the rest of the NES crowd to one gun a month will solve that problem.

Of course, I'll try to convince my wife that the law REQUIRES me to buy one a month, but that probably won't work either. <G>

Gary

"One Gun Per Month. Limits gun buyers to the purchase of just one firearm per month, a measure already working in California, Maryland and Virginia. The measure targets “straw purchasers” who buy guns for convicted felons and others prohibited from owning firearms. Also augments the reporting requirements for private gun sales."

I didn't know VA had a one gun a month limitl. In fact, I thought that was one of the complaints about VA that too many guns were sold. As to the other two states, I'll bet the violent crime rates in their cities are pretty high.

More lies from liberals.

Gary

Lets see ..........

One a month for me, one a month for the wife, one a month for my daughter (although she can only buy long guns), and if I am patient in a few years we can get one a month for the boy too!

I'm telling you now .......... the kids guns are coming out of the college fund. If the Devil has his way, I can see this impacting the education of our youth.

Sur-prise, Sur-prise, Sur-prise. He said he would do this when he was running. Figures this is the first campaign promise he actually tries to keep. [rolleyes]
* One Gun Per Month. Limits gun buyers to the purchase of just one firearm per month, a measure already working in California, Maryland and Virginia. The measure targets “straw purchasers” who buy guns for convicted felons and others prohibited from owning firearms. Also augments the reporting requirements for private gun sales.
This last point is even worse. I've not found any reports that describe specifically what reporting requirements would be strengthened but what is left. We already have to report private sales via the registration process. As I recall his campaign white paper on this subject he proposed to "eliminate the gun show loophole" by requiring background checks on all sales. This would effectively eliminate private sales.[crying]

Sur-prise, Sur-prise, Sur-prise. He said he would do this when he was running. Figures this is the first campaign promise he actually tries to keep. [rolleyes]
This last point is even worse. I've not found any reports that describe specifically what reporting requirements would be strengthened but what is left. We already have to report private sales via the registration process. As I recall his campaign white paper on this subject he proposed to "eliminate the gun show loophole" by requiring background checks on all sales. This would effectively eliminate private sales.[crying]

Depending on how it's "augmented", it would also eliminate the private sales of "off-list" handguns.

How am I supposed to afford one gun a month when a significant portion of my pay already goes toward the bill for Deval's cadillac.

"One Gun Per Month. Limits gun buyers to the purchase of just one firearm per month, a measure already working in California, Maryland and Virginia. The measure targets “straw purchasers” who buy guns for convicted felons and others prohibited from owning firearms. Also augments the reporting requirements for private gun sales."

I listen to a Maryland radio station over the net. I checked out a link to a local Baltimore paper and found a story on the murder count there. They are at 64 as of last week. This is 4 times that of Boston. many are done with guns. This is a state where you can not get a concealed permit.

http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=13446

as Garys put it - more lies from liberals

Back
Top Bottom