OK, so shall I EF10 my stripped lowers or not? Clear opinion please, lets not turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
So then by reverse logic if you possess/own a lower prior to 7/20 that is not built out (e.g. a stripped lower) then you already own that as an 'Assault Weapon' and can build it out at your leisure and be compliant to the enforcement notice (subject to the will of the AGO of course!)

...and by that logic any lowers still in possession by our FFLs in MA should be sellable since they were in possession before 7/20

Last paragraph currently not true. Must be transfered out of state.

I filed mine from the Matrix buy (owned very much prior to 7/20) within the allotted 7 day period. An actual MGL with specific language leaving nothing to interpretation.

It is a strange day (and I'd say impeachable offense) when honest citizens become afraid to OBEY THE LAW because they fear PROSECUTION for OBEYING THE LAW.

Ok, sounds like if you previously owned a lower - you CAN safely register it now.

I have 7 days from the 20th to decide for sure.

Is that the consensus here?

I'll be checking up on this tomorrow at the rally to get more opinions.

Ok, sounds like if you previously owned a lower - you CAN safely register it now.

If that's the case, it shouldn't matter on the timing of your build. Her guidance doesn't say when it needs to be built. If you have it before 7/20, you're fine(ish).

If that's the case, it shouldn't matter on the timing of your build. Her guidance doesn't say when it needs to be built. If you have it before 7/20, you're fine(ish).

Now that you mention that - it would be a relief.
I hope to hear others express that sentiment.

your avatar pretty much answers the problem at hand, doesn't it?

Now that you mention that - it would be a relief.
I hope to hear others express that sentiment.

Regardless of whether or not your register it now (within the 7 day window) or never.
In a few months, maybe a year, shes going to tell you to sell it out of state or turn it over because its always been illegal in her interpretation you should have never had it in the first place. Thanks for the sales taxes on 7/20 from your rush and gun shops made their margins so they wont complain.

Now if you registered it, the state of MA has a database entry for your FA10 that exists to say that indeed you have one. -- This can be queried in 1 minute by a high school computer geek, not that hard.

I do not see them saying oh you can build it any time in the future since you owned a lower receiver before the date. I say this due to the fact she is specifically speaking specifically of a "firearm" being an "Assault Weapon" and a firearm in MA is capable of firing a shot AKA built already before 7/20.

Therefore you got 5 days left to decide, but shes coming to get it. Just food for thought. IMO

Regardless of whether or not your register it now (within the 7 day window) or never.
In a few months, maybe a year, shes going to tell you to sell it out of state or turn it over because its always been illegal in her interpretation you should have never had it in the first place. Thanks for the sales taxes on 7/20 from your rush and gun shops made their margins so they wont complain.

Now if you registered it, the state of MA has a database entry for your FA10 that exists to say that indeed you have one. -- This can be queried in 1 minute by a high school computer geek, not that hard.

I do not see them saying oh you can build it any time in the future since you owned a lower receiver before the date. I say this due to the fact she is specifically speaking specifically of a "firearm" being an "Assault Weapon" and a firearm in MA is capable of firing a shot AKA built already before 7/20.

Therefore you got 5 days left to decide, but shes coming to get it. Just food for thought. IMO

Recent new guidance says stripped lower receivers are assault weapons.

And all guidance is subject to change without warning by whim. So the true answer is there is no answer and any answer now may not be the answer later.

So they're assault weapons, but not firearms. You can only FA10 a firearm I thought? Unless she also changed the MA definition of a firearm? Maybe that's for Monday

If the lower is the same as one of the "enumerated weapons" and can accept any of the workings she listed (like the trigger group) then it doesn't matter what upper is on it. By her ruling, anything with an AR lower is banned, even a bolt-action upper if it uses the same trigger or could accept a standard AR trigger.

The AWB specifically says bolt guns are not AWs.
Same with pump action, and there is a pump action upper made.

Her ruling directly contradicts the actual law.

she also decreed a receiver that can take 2 parts of an AW is considered an AW. Since the lower is already an AW and you owned that AW before 20 July, when you finish it and register it should not matter..

I am not saying do this, I am just pointing out that she is changing law much more than just what the words copies and duplicates means.

She is making stuff up and does not know what the actual laws say.

Just sit tight and do nothing. No buying, no registering.

Her office indicated that they are looking into apparent AW sales on Thursday. I think some of these are people registering lowers. As Dr Grant has said, keep your head down.

How can one prevent the sale of privately owned item that legal when purchased?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a rifle is a lower receiver capable of firing a round. So what happens if you take your already registered "rifle" and take it appart for pieces leaving the lower stripped again. Is it still a rifle? Barrels , triggers break and wear out. What if your "ex rifle is in that state, an empty lower. Is it still a rifle?

Probably (cause nobody knows anything for sure now), the components to make a complete assault rifle can't be in your possession.

But stop worrying about this, don't give in to the AG's fear campaign.

- - - Updated - - -

From updated AGO FAQ

Q: Does the Enforcement Notice affect the legality of the sale of receivers for Assault Weapons if the gun is not built out?
•Yes. If the receiver is for a weapon that would meet one of the tests described above, it will be treated as an Assault Weapon and it cannot be sold in Massachusetts.

==========

This is madness.

When is a weapon that is not a weapon, a weapon?

The more contradictory statements she makes, the better, keep it coming Maura!

I'll be filing more FA-10's within the State's 7 day window allotted for compliance.

My "strategy" involves honoring the letter of the law as it was written--and not according to the AG's whimsical interpretations.

Apparently she has just "decreed" (what else can you call it?) that a stripped lower receiver is a firearm--which stands in direct legal contrast to the actual text of MA firearms law.

I'd say that the wheels just came off her gambit.

Her willfully distorted interpretation of such a simple matter of law speaks for itself.

I hope everyone does this, I would if I had one. She cannot go after the 7-day people cause it'll attract more attention to contradictions in her actions. If a list is long enough, it has no meaning.

It'll be dangerous after that 7-day window though, imo.

I hope everyone does this, I would if I had one. She cannot go after the 7-day people cause it'll attract more attention to contradictions in her actions. If a list is long enough, it has no meaning.

It'll be dangerous after that 7-day window though, imo.

I'll be contacting FRB next week, seeking guidance for filing when I have no PIN

The AG is investing everyone who does this, so I wouldn't call it safe. But probably a bit safer than building a rifle and not registering it.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand that logic - if your lower is now an assault rifle, it's an unregistered assault rifle. You're not finished.

There seems to be a lot of fear surrounding obeying the law.

You are a law-abiding citizen, and theoretically the law exists to offer you protection.

If you have a lawfully owned stripped lower, and the transfer is documented in an FFL's bound book, purchased at ANY point in the last 20 years, the seven day window provided by law to "register" it via FA-10 may well be your last opportunity to legally register it in MA.

Think about that.

Never mind what the AG says--what she says keeps changing--the LAW states that you have seven days.

IF the State goes the route of confiscation, and they might--well hey, everybody is in the same boat, and (as law-abiding citizens) we ALL have tough choices to make.

IF confiscation happens, you have options and choices. You can move it out of State, sell it, whatever--you can use whatever legal options are open to you.

IF you must surrender it, strip out all the parts, sell them to a friend in a free state and surrender the lower.

At that point you are out $100, but on the upside, there are no question marks beside your name when you go to re-up your LTC. That "no question marks" to me is worth $100, easy. YMMV.

But here is the upside of registering your build. If the AG's edict holds, but the State does NOT go the route of confiscation, you own a lawfully registered rifle.

IF the State tries to prosecute you for following the law AS IT IS WRITTEN--then I assume you have an actionable lawsuit against the Commonwealth of MA, and the law as it is written is on your side.

I understand that it is a little scary to register a lawfully-owned build (repeat: build, not lower) right now--but the letter of the law is on your side.

In the end that may not matter--but I'd say you should act like a law-abiding citizen in the meantime, because you ARE a law-abiding citizen, right?

That is how I see it.

ETA: See you at the rally--right? Is there ANY reason you are reading this thread but NOT attending the rally?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom