• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OK, so shall I EF10 my stripped lowers or not? Clear opinion please, lets not turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbi

this one to another doomsday thread (yeah, I know, it is doomsday, but we have another mega thread for that). Just trying to figure out the best way of action with the two stripped I have.

Thanks.

I see no upside. You are already past the 7/20 date anyway.

you have 7 days from completion. she would have to redefine a whole different law.

I think we should all organize and do it on the same day like tomorrow night i have been wondering when to to this also

"Clear OPINION" is all you can get, nobody clearly knows what will happen if you do.

After reading the AG docs (not the snews story), I came to a conclusion that registering them yesterday would be risky business as you can't change the registration date to pre-day of doing it.

Is it easier to defend yourself against the charge that you didn't properly FA-10 a gun or a violation of the AWB because they know who has them and come to your house to take it or seek proof of sale?

Mike

I filed, unfortunately a little after midnight, last night. Stupid of me. But I have receipts to prove they were in my possession long before I filed. Obviously there is no "seller" either on the forms - no transfer took place. All the transfer docs were filed, obviously, when I picked them up from my FFL.

"Clear OPINION" is all you can get, nobody clearly knows what will happen if you do.

After reading the AG docs (not the snews story), I came to a conclusion that registering them yesterday would be risky business as you can't change the registration date to pre-day of doing it.

len, doesn't the law say we have 7 days from completion? i'm no legal expert but who to say when it was finished mine were completed on monday

I did mine yesterday, hoping it wasn't a mistake. I thought my LGS did it but when I dug out all the paperwork it didn't appear they did. I called the shop and they said do it now, they we unsure if it was done @ time of transfer. All my other lowers were FA-10ed by the dealer.

Such a f*cking grey area, i'm at work and next thing I know i'm rushing home to dig out paperwork to see if I'm legal. Need a lawyer to make it through your day in this state. No guidance other than the dealer so I just did it, o well. I have the dealer receipt showing the date I took possession, which is a few years back now.

Last edited:
You're already a felon by possession. How badly do you want to let the state know that?

I did mine yesterday, hoping it wasn't a mistake. I thought my LGS did it but when I dug out all the paperwork it didn't appear they did. I called the shop and they said do it now, they we unsure if it was done @ time of purchase. All my other lowers were FA-10ed by the dealer.

Such a f*cking grey area, i'm at work and next thing I know i'm rushing home to dig out paperwork to see if I'm legal. Need a lawyer to make it through your day in this state. No guidance other than the dealer so I just did it, o well. I have the dealer receipt showing the date I took possession, which is a few years back now.

Dealers who stock lowers were definitely selling out of them yesterday.

I feel ****ing stupid as shit for not doing it before midnight...it's absolutely killing me...I am a stickler for getting those kinds of details right.

However, I am fairly certain that there will be a pretty big volume of people filing over the next week or so, or at the very least the next few days, and even after that as builds are completed. Remember that the stupidest person on this forum is basically a gun law lawyer compared to everyone else in the state. People have absolutely no idea what was going on even before this happened. If there is no seller on the form, i.e. the transfer already took place with the appropriate paperwork, I can't imagine that they are going to go after that. There will be too many people.

This is targeted at dealers so at least in the very short term I don't think filers will be treated any differently than people who filed before.

Not filing might be a good option for some people, but if you have a paper trail of owning more recent newly, "banned" rifles or an existing paper trail for the lower, not filing is probably more likely to wind you up in trouble than anything else. People who did the 80% lower thing might be in a different situation, but that's not me. Running a report to find out how many lowers were transferred versus how many FA10's were filed for completion of those builds is pretty trivial.

Last edited:
^ it may not even help but do you have a receipt from when you took possession of the transfer and the NICS check was done?

Dumb question but what paperwork is done when buying a lower in a face to face sale?

If it has never been FA-10'd, then a simple bill of sale would suffice. (Assuming you're referring to a stripped lower.)

I eFA10'd my stripped lower yesterday (D-day). I bought it a couple weeks ago & wasn't sure if the dealer'd done it, or whether I needed to. I figured they were super-busy so just did it.

Only has a trigger in it at the moment, but figured it was better to err on the side of "trying" to comply. If I catch wind that the state is starting to phuck with people over this, I'll transfer it to my brother in NH until I can move there myself.

If it has never been FA-10'd, then a simple bill of sale would suffice. (Assuming you're referring to a stripped lower.)

Thanks - doesn't matter if I understand right, a complete lower is the same as a stripped lower if it's never been assembled into a rifle, or FA-10'd, right?

I guess this only matters for another 6 days, then you can't eFA-10 anything.

If they aren't (yet...) going after owners who had them prior to 7/20, and they want to be sticklers and prove a point, I see no point to registering one after 7/20, why draw the attention to yourself. You'll have a spare part in the future in case everything goes to crap, or the minuscule chance this state fixes what just happened you'll be able to go about it legally. I say just keep them in a safe place and don't talk about them for now.

It's crystal clear to me that what happened yesterday is step one of a two step process. Anything you FA-10 is no longer "legal," it is illegal but for now the AG will let you keep it.

After it's clear we the sheeple have swallowed yesterday's edict and it has survived any possible legal challenges, step two will be for the AG, current or future, to withdraw their patronage and you will have 30 days to sell out of state or turn it in.

seems the general consensus over the 300+ pages is no one knows, some say no way and some say do it now. Goal or Comm2A should comment on this, someone of some position of power on our side.

seems the general consensus over the 300+ pages is no one knows, some say no way and some say do it now. Goal or Comm2A should comment on this, someone of some position of power on our side.

I caved and did it yesterday. I think best case is this gets smacked or at least clarified and what I would have filed anyways is A-ok. Slightly decent case is this crap stands and take a long time to clarify and I filed in time to be grandfathered in. Worst case is this becomes our worst nightmare and I'm out the considerable (for me) investment.

So I'm guessing all those "unnecessary" fa10's 4s did on my stripped lowers was a good thing now in hindsight? Yes....no??

Last edited:
If they aren't (yet...) going after owners who had them prior to 7/20, and they want to be sticklers and prove a point, I see no point to registering one after 7/20, why draw the attention to yourself. You'll have a spare part in the future in case everything goes to crap, or the minuscule chance this state fixes what just happened you'll be able to go about it legally. I say just keep them in a safe place and don't talk about them for now.

+1 or be extra safe and don't mate up the upper and lower.

- - - Updated - - -

So I'm guessing all those "unnecessary" fa10's 4s did on my stripped uppers was a good thing now in hindsight? Yes....no??

yard sale? Seems like those should be good to go for personal sale.

I do not. I have the date registered in my files but not an actual receipt.

Curious as to whether there is a record of the transfer somewhere in .gov that would prove your date of ownership. If say, you bought a lower from a group buy, it goes to an FFL (if the group buy guy isn't one) who then does the NCIS check and does the transfer but does not provide any paperwork. If you still have the lower there should be a record of the transfer somewhere... or not.

Does the state have access to NICS records or a copy of the 4473?

Curious as to whether there is a record of the transfer somewhere in .gov that would prove your date of ownership. If say, you bought a lower from a group buy, it goes to an FFL (if the group buy guy isn't one) who then does the NCIS check and does the transfer but does not provide any paperwork. If you still have the lower there should be a record of the transfer somewhere... or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom