• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OK, so shall I EF10 my stripped lowers or not? Clear opinion please, lets not turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have a registered and properly secured AR15 and get pulled over by the police on the way to the range. I truthfully answer the "Are there any firearms in the car" question. Am I still going to jail? Does it matter if it's registered or not? Will I ever see my AR ever again?

Hello friends. I have not participated on this website in a long while. But I just came on to give my .02$ on this topic.

I registered my lower today. like a bitch.

That is all.

Hello friends. I have not participated on this website in a long while. But I just came on to give my .02$ on this topic.

I registered my lower today. like a bitch.

That is all.

FA10ing a lower before the timeframe closes makes you feels like a bitch.

Anyone else want to fess up that they licked boots today?

Last edited:
My opinion is i wouldn't touch EFA10 until this issue is settled one way or the other. It's too early to get embroiled in panicky stuff.

I decided to register my recent builds, as required by law.

For the forseeable future I can take any of the rifles I built (and registered) to the range without worry--for the time being, and perhaps in perpetuity. We shall see.

If the AG's "amnesty" holds--I have made it under the deadline.

If MA decides to confiscate AR-15's I will move these lawfully-owned rifles out of state.

If they insist on confiscation, I will strip out all of the parts, surrender the stripped lowers--and do with the components whatever I like and/or seems prudent.

Confiscations do not happen overnight.

You will have opportunities to respond, and work out a plan--whatever that plan may be.

If you decide to move out of state, the record MA holds of your FA-10 is meaningless--whereas if you get popped (in MA) with an unregistered rifle, well, that can complicate the rest of your life, in a free state or in MA.

Your call.

For the forseeable future I can take any of the rifles I built (and registered) to the range without worry--for the time being, and perhaps in perpetuity. We shall see.

If MA decides to confiscate AR-15's I will move these lawfully-owned rifles out of state.

If they insist on confiscation, I will strip out all of the parts, surrender the stripped lowers--and do with the components whatever I like and/or seems prudent.

You will have opportunities to respond, and work out a plan--whatever that plan may be.

If you decide to move out of state, the record MA holds of your FA-10 is meaningless--whereas if you get popped (in MA) with an unregistered rifle, well, that can complicate the rest of your life, in a free state or in MA.

Your call.

How would anyone at the range know if your rifles are "registered" or not? Do you carry a folder full of FA-10s around with you?

Unless you get arrested for another crime on your way to or from the range, it would never be an issue.

How would anyone at the range know if your rifles are "registered" or not? Do you carry a folder full of FA-10s around with you?

Unless you get arrested for another crime on your way to or from the range, it would never be an issue.

Police routinely run serial numbers whenever they encounter firearms, no matter what the pretext.

Changing a flat tire on the way to the range: cop stops to check you out/is that a rifle case? etc.

Getting stopped for a speeding ticket can turn your life upside down if you make stupid choices, as can a pan left on a stove, or a burst water pipe, or a medical emergency.

You don't know what is going to invite the man into your life. Not really.

I choose not to live in fear of getting "caught" at anything. It is wearing, after awhile. YMMV.

Last edited:
Very unclear but I chose to register my unbuilt AR's on 7/20 even though the AG enforcement guidelines appear to say "prior to 7/20". I did this for 2 reasons.

1. Both FFL's that I talked to told me that the AG's office told them "Today is last day" and I can tell you that the line went outside the shops at both FLL's I visited so a shitload of guns were sold yesterday.

2. An LEO friend called me and said "based on what I know you should register them today in the configuration that you intend to build."

So that's what I did. WHo knows what is right. Yesterday I though that this would not stand very long and that it was a grandstand play. Based on Gov. Bakers statement today "SHe has the authority" who knows?

As I see it there are 2 possibilities :

1. MA State Legislature passes a law amending the definition of assault weapons in the 1998 law. - Probability of that happening is 0%
2. SHe gets sued and her ruling is overturned - Probability of that happening ? Lawsuit (100%), MA Court overturning (0%), US Supreme Court overturning (50-50 at best with time frame at least 2 years) In 2 years under Hillary and at least 1 new liberal justice.... we're screwed.

You guys are literally a bunch of felons with multiple counts of violating the AWB already against you, and you're concerned about one more? I wouldn't touch an FA-10 with a ten foot pole at this point; that's like calling the police to report that you're holding a bag of heroin - illegal either way, but why does anyone need to know about it?

Police routinely run serial numbers whenever they encounter firearms, no matter what the pretext.

Changing a flat tire on the way to the range: cop stops to check you out/is that a rifle case? etc.

Getting stopped for a speeding ticket can turn your life upside down if you make stupid choices, as can a pan left on a stove, or a burst water pipe, or a medical emergency.

You don't know what is going to invite the man into your life. Not really.

I choose not to live in fear of getting "caught" at anything. It is wearing, after awhile. YMMV.

No worries. You have to do what makes you feel comfortable.

Although, the FA-10 system/database is nowhere near accurate enough for it to be used in any kind of enforcement. From what I have heard, it is just a mess of inaccurate information.

And nobody gets into a locked rifle case (or your car) without a warrant.

As for me, all of my guns left MA in a uhaul truck last Saturday. The timing of my move was uncanny.

You guys are literally a bunch of felons with multiple counts of violating the AWB already against you, and you're concerned about one more? I wouldn't touch an FA-10 with a ten foot pole at this point; that's like calling the police to report that you're holding a bag of heroin - illegal either way, but why does anyone need to know about it?

The original transaction for the lowers is documented in the FFL's bound book. I am accountable for them either way, right? I suppose I could say that "I sold them to some guy and I forget his name"--but then you're back at square 1 with an illegal firearm.

If I decide that I want an illegal firearm some day--well, **** it, I guess I'll just buy one, right?

- - - Updated - - -

No worries. You have to do what makes you feel comfortable.

Although, the FA-10 system/database is nowhere near accurate enough for it to be used in any kind of enforcement. From what I have heard, it is just a mess of inaccurate information.

And nobody gets into a locked rifle case (or your car) without a warrant.

As for me, all of my guns left MA in a uhaul truck last Saturday. The timing of my move was uncanny.

You must live right. (lol).

Trying to put my thoughts down on this.

A stripped lower in MA is not a firearm and shouldn't have an FA10. Some shops do when you purchase but seems go be overkill. It needs to be registered when it can fire a round. Now it's a firearm in the eyes of MA.

With this new guidance, anything before yesterday is okay (for now). So, if you have a stripped lower that wasn't FA10d then I think you'll have more risk in building it later even if you owned it before (hopefully you have a receipt, with date and serial to prove). If you registered it, then it can be built and possessed (for now).

Short story is from my take of you registered them then they're good to build. If you didn't, and have no paper trail, risky to build later and FA10. If you didn't and have a paper trail, less risky to build later and FA10. It's just so damn confusing. The guidance says assault weapons, but then says receivers are prohibited as assault weapons, even when they aren't firearms in MA. Does that mean as assault weapon doesn't even need to be a firearm anymore?

Basically yes, except she said they are all illegal anyway except for true pre-bans.

Thus, the humorous bag of cocaine metaphor.

Not on your life or mine would I FA10 any of the stripped lowers at this point.
Since she said my current ARs are already illegal assault weapons all my stocks are again adjustable and those loud ass breaks are coming off.

Palmetto wont ship any parts to ma now

Where did you get this info???

Your call.

I agree

The idea is that you file within 10 days of it being able to file a projectile, from what I understand, but barrel length is not a required field.

I may be wrong, but is there another caliber you could build on a 5.56/.223 lower?
[rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

This is like asking if you should register your big bag of cocaine.
Is there a website for this or is it a paper form?

When you register your lower as a completed firearm do you have to state that is semi automatic? I believe there are bolt action uppers available so I don't see a downside in registering the lower. By the way never talk to Cops never talk to strangers don't even talk to family. Need-to-know basis only.

When you register your lower as a completed firearm do you have to state that is semi automatic? I believe there are bolt action uppers available so I don't see a downside in registering the lower. By the way never talk to Cops never talk to strangers don't even talk to family. Need-to-know basis only.

If the lower is the same as one of the "enumerated weapons" and can accept any of the workings she listed (like the trigger group) then it doesn't matter what upper is on it. By her ruling, anything with an AR lower is banned, even a bolt-action upper if it uses the same trigger or could accept a standard AR trigger.

If there is clarification at some point anything bought before the 20th may be OK, otherwise it isn't. If they really want, they'll get you one way or another.

Last edited:

But def post online in a public forum.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Your call.

My thoughts exactly.

Luckily I finished my builds on Sunday the 17th. I just registered them today to stay within the 7 days required by law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom