• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OK, so shall I EF10 my stripped lowers or not? Clear opinion please, lets not turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a rifle is a lower receiver capable of firing a round. So what happens if you take your already registered "rifle" and take it appart for pieces leaving the lower stripped again. Is it still a rifle? Barrels , triggers break and wear out. What if your "ex rifle is in that state, an empty lower. Is it still a rifle?

this is where I'm torn, can u still register the lowers?

My take is yes, I'd even go as far to say you don't need to rush and fa-10 it now. I would think as long as you have paperwork to show the date you obtained it from a dealer (pre 7-20) it doesn't matter when you FA-10 it. If you don't have any paperwork then I have no idea...Thats my opinion but no one really knows.

That being said, I registered my build the 20th that I built the 19th.

So a rifle is a lower receiver capable of firing a round. So what happens if you take your already registered "rifle" and take it appart for pieces leaving the lower stripped again. Is it still a rifle? Barrels , triggers break and wear out. What if your "ex rifle is in that state, an empty lower. Is it still a rifle?

Flashback to Philosophy 101 thirty years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

If you replace one part on your rifle, is it still the same rifle? Seems like it is, right?

What about the second part? Third part? Still the same rifle.

Then what if you gathered up all of the old parts that you have replaced, and put them back together? Is that your rifle, or is the rifle you have been shooting along along your rifle?

You may have to think about it over a few drinks

My take is yes, I'd even go as far to say you don't need to rush and fa-10 it now. I would think as long as you have paperwork to show the date you obtained it from a dealer (pre 7-20) it doesn't matter when you FA-10 it. If you don't have any paperwork then I have no idea...Thats my opinion but no one really knows.

That being said, I registered my build the 20th that I built the 19th.

You could have built a new AR rifle (per MA reg, capable of firing a shot) on the 19th using a Lower that you already had with an upper that was on an existing AR.

You could have built a new AR rifle (per MA reg, capable of firing a shot) on the 19th using a Lower that you already had with an upper that was on an existing AR.

Yeah, if i'm reading you correctly thats what I did. I had the parts for a new upper aswell.

According to the Feds it will always be a rifle. In this state, who knows? Jack.

Why would you register anything at this point?

Step 1: Registration
Step 2: Making you a felon retroactively for possession of something that was lawful just a few days ago.
Step 3. Confiscation, persecution, and prosecution.

You can avoid the above if you skip step 1. Just saying. If the AG can retroactively make you a felon subsequently causing you to live under constant threat of arrest at any time from any county or municipal DA that doesn't exercise her current "prosecutorial discretion" - then why register. You're already a criminal. Why tell them about it?

This is like asking if you should register your big bag of cocaine.

Exactly. At this point - that's what it is. So eff them.

Last edited:
Will the system even allow you to FA/10 an AR post 7/20?
If it does, wouldn't that make the State complisent in your owning an AW?

From updated AGO FAQ

Q: Does the Enforcement Notice affect the legality of the sale of receivers for Assault Weapons if the gun is not built out?
•Yes. If the receiver is for a weapon that would meet one of the tests described above, it will be treated as an Assault Weapon and it cannot be sold in Massachusetts.

==========

This is madness.

You guys are literally a bunch of felons with multiple counts of violating the AWB already against you, and you're concerned about one more? I wouldn't touch an FA-10 with a ten foot pole at this point; that's like calling the police to report that you're holding a bag of heroin - illegal either way, but why does anyone need to know about it?

that is exactly what i was thinking

Another thought, given that nobody including that idiot Healey know what the hell is going on right now, maybe it would be better to just keep the stripped lower stripped and in the back of the safe.
Or buried out in the yard.
God, I can't wait to move. I never thought I'd wish to be old enough to retire.

From updated AGO FAQ

Q: Does the Enforcement Notice affect the legality of the sale of receivers for Assault Weapons if the gun is not built out?
•Yes. If the receiver is for a weapon that would meet one of the tests described above, it will be treated as an Assault Weapon and it cannot be sold in Massachusetts.

==========

This is madness.

Re-writing another law! Objects not capable of firing a shot are now firearms.

From updated AGO FAQ

==========

This is madness.

So then by reverse logic if you possess/own a lower prior to 7/20 that is not built out (e.g. a stripped lower) then you already own that as an 'Assault Weapon' and can build it out at your leisure and be compliant to the enforcement notice (subject to the will of the AGO of course!)

...and by that logic any lowers still in possession by our FFLs in MA should be sellable since they were in possession before 7/20

Last edited:
So then by reverse logic if you possess/own a lower prior to 7/20 that is not built out (e.g. a stripped lower) then you already own that as an 'Assault Weapon' and can build it out at your leisure and be compliant to the enforcement notice (subject to the will of the AGO of course!)

...and by that logic any lowers still in possession by our FFL should be sellable since they were in possession before 7/20

^That

My opinion is i wouldn't touch EFA10 until this issue is settled one way or the other. It's too early to get embroiled in panicky stuff.

Agreed. Always better to move slowly and wait for more information.

Eisenhower, at the battle of D-Day waited and waited, waited for more information, waited to get more prepared, before he pulled the trigger and ordered the invasion.

Oftentimes, waiting and watching, which requires patience, is the best course.

And stop using the goddamn EFA-10 system you numb nuts!

From updated AGO FAQ

==========

This is madness.
yes that is for dealers what about private sale

**** PSA. Weak assed douchebags. Not the first time they've gotten weak.

-Mike

Agreed. Always better to move slowly and wait for more information.

Eisenhower, at the battle of D-Day waited and waited, waited for more information, waited to get more prepared, before he pulled the trigger and ordered the invasion.

Oftentimes, waiting and watching, which requires patience, is the best course.

And stop using the goddamn EFA-10 system you numb nuts!

This... this issue is going to require strategy and patience, not armflapping and hysterical responses.

-Mike

I'll be filing more FA-10's within the State's 7 day window allotted for compliance.

My "strategy" involves honoring the letter of the law as it was written--and not according to the AG's whimsical interpretations.

Apparently she has just "decreed" (what else can you call it?) that a stripped lower receiver is a firearm--which stands in direct legal contrast to the actual text of MA firearms law.

I'd say that the wheels just came off her gambit.

Her willfully distorted interpretation of such a simple matter of law speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Okay - I am self incriminating myself by triple posting between multiple threads, but....

But Healey is facing a potential dilemma. On Thursday, rifle sales dropped back to 266 in the state but more than half of those – 143 – appear to be the banned assault weapon types, although there are some exceptions. A spokeswoman said the office would be examining the sales to see if they are outside her order.

http://commonwealthmagazine.org/guns/healey-backs-down-on-threat/

I was going to register a build I did earlier this week of course, but quite frankly don't need my name on a list like the one above that the AG has from thursday's sales

I'll be filing more FA-10's within the State's 7 day window allotted for compliance.

My "strategy" involves honoring the letter of the law as it was written--and not according to the AG's whimsical interpretations.

Apparently she has just "decreed" (what else can you call it?) that a stripped lower receiver is a firearm--which stands in direct legal contrast to the actual text of MA firearms law.

I'd say that the wheels just came off her gambit.

Her willfully distorted interpretation of such a simple matter of law speaks for itself.

I filed mine from the Matrix buy (owned very much prior to 7/20) within the allotted 7 day period. An actual MGL with specific language leaving nothing to interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom