• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Manual safety or not? 365X

Exactly, which is why nobody who's an amateur and doesn't train should have a manual thumb safety. They'll fumble it under adrenaline.
Even if you train, you can screw it up if your other guns don't have manual safeties.

Like I said about 50 posts ago. I love my 1911s, but I also love my Glocks. And in that mixed atmosphere, I've screwed up and not swiped the safety down on the 1911 after shooting the Glock.

If everything you shoot has a manual safety and you practice regularly. I'm talking about practicing swiping the safety off EVERY TIME you come up on target. Not putting the safety off, shooting 100 rounds, packing up, and putting the safety back on before you holster it.

Maybe your brain works better than mine and you can instinctively shift gears when switching guns. I'd bet most people can't do that 100% of the time. So why create an opportunity to screw up? Get a good holster that protects the trigger, practice under as much stress as is practicable. (competitions, shot timer, with movement, in darknesss with a flashlight, use of cover, malfunction drills, etc) and make it so your safe without a manual safety.

Even if you train, you can screw it up if your other guns don't have manual safeties.

Like I said about 50 posts ago. I love my 1911s, but I also love my Glocks. And in that mixed atmosphere, I've screwed up and not swiped the safety down on the 1911 after shooting the Glock.

If everything you shoot has a manual safety and you practice regularly. I'm talking about practicing swiping the safety off EVERY TIME you come up on target. Not putting the safety off, shooting 100 rounds, packing up, and putting the safety back on before you holster it.

Maybe your brain works better than mine and you can instinctively shift gears when switching guns. I'd bet most people can't do that 100% of the time. So why create an opportunity to screw up? Get a good holster that protects the trigger, practice under as much stress as is practicable. (competitions, shot timer, with movement, in darknesss with a flashlight, use of cover, malfunction drills, etc) and make it so your safe without a manual safety.
Well said

Why use a different grip with a 1911 and glock. Use the same grip that will always push down on a safety

Why use a different grip with a 1911 and glock. Use the same grip that will always push down on a safety
That's an interesting perspective. My draw and the resulting grip has always been slightly different with the two.

Glock I come in as high as I can with the web of my hand and slide my thumb down with it held at an angle so it will be slightly up once I present the gun.
1911, I come in with the web of my hand the same way, but my thumb is higher and then I sweep it down as I get on target. It ends up still higher than it is on the Glock.

I'm not saying I couldn't reteach myself to do it that way. It's a great point.

I know you shoot a lot. I shoot a fair amount. Though not nearly as much practical pistol as I used to. What percent of the people who carry both types of guns have worked this kind of consistent draw that works for both?? Most people don't even draw properly and rarely practice it either in competition or with a shot timer.

***edit - as I'm rolling this around in my head, I'm thinking about how I learned to shoot. Initially around age 14 to 20 it was bulls eye with a .22. Then hunting, then sporting clays in college.

I started "combat shooting" as it was called back then in the early mid 90s with my 6906. (It was my carry gun, so that's what I shot). In the mid 90s I bought a Glock 26. I started shooting IDPA in 1998 with the 26 and a stack of G17 mags. In 2001 or so I was stuck at sharpshooter and bought a 34 in the hopes I'd make expert with it. I had previously looked down on anyone who bought a gun that barely fit in "the box" as "gamers". Eventually I made Expert and continued to shoot the Glock in IDPA and local practical shooting events.

I had also bought my first 1911, a Colt Gold Cup, by then and was using it in bulls eye matches. There was no use of he safety in those kinds of matches and no draw from a holster. I didn't really use the safety much. As a lefty, I didn't have a safety on the correct side anyway. I didn't really start shooting a 1911 on the clock until I started shooting bowling pin matches in the mid 2000s and bought a Government sized Les Baer.

So by the time I started shooting 1911s from a holster on the clock, I had almost a decade of muscle memory with a Glock. Either way, I think your point is 100% valid. If I had started shooting 1911s first I think it would have happened automatically.

Last edited:
That's an interesting perspective. My draw and the resulting grip has always been slightly different with the two.

Glock I come in as high as I can with the web of my hand and slide my thumb down with it held at an angle so it will be slightly up once I present the gun.
1911, I come in with the web of my hand the same way, but my thumb is higher and then I sweep it down as I get on target. It ends up still higher than it is on the Glock.

I'm not saying I couldn't reteach myself to do it that way. It's a great point.

I know you shoot a lot. I shoot a fair amount. Though not nearly as much practical pistol as I used to. What percent of the people who carry both types of guns have worked this kind of consistent draw that works for both?? Most people don't even draw properly and rarely practice it either in competition or with a shot timer.

***edit - as I'm rolling this around in my head, I'm thinking about how I learned to shoot. Initially around age 14 to 20 it was bulls eye with a .22. Then hunting, then sporting clays in college.

I started "combat shooting" as it was called back then in the early mid 90s with my 6906. (It was my carry gun, so that's what I shot). In the mid 90s I bought a Glock 26. I started shooting IDPA in 1998 with the 26 and a stack of G17 mags. In 2001 or so I was stuck at sharpshooter and bought a 34 in the hopes I'd make expert with it. I had previously looked down on anyone who bought a gun that barely fit in "the box" as "gamers". Eventually I made Expert and continued to shoot the Glock in IDPA and local practical shooting events.

I had also bought my first 1911, a Colt Gold Cup, by then and was using it in bulls eye matches. There was no use of he safety in those kinds of matches and no draw from a holster. I didn't really use the safety much. As a lefty, I didn't have a safety on the correct side anyway. I didn't really start shooting a 1911 on the clock until I started shooting bowling pin matches in the mid 2000s and bought a Government sized Les Baer.

So by the time I started shooting 1911s from a holster on the clock, I had almost a decade of muscle memory with a Glock. Either way, I think your point is 100% valid. If I had started shooting 1911s first I think it would have happened automatically.

Just use the 1911 grip on everything. Your strong hand thumb should be nearly straight up until the weak hand touches the gun, so that you have as much room to get your weak hand as high as possible. This is for both the draw and reload

Back
Top Bottom