ND at FS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following the basic safety rules can save someone from getting hurt and yes mechanical things can fail.

Back when I taught Basic Pistol, I told my students that safeties are mechanical devices which are in one of two states: broken or about to break. [wink] I then told them that I wasn't saying that they shouldn't use safeties -- they should -- but that safeties can't replace safe handling because sometimes they fail.

I had a safety break on a Remington 700ml. I could feel that moving the lever felt wrong, so I took it into a gunsmith.

Back when I taught Basic Pistol, I told my students that safeties are mechanical devices which are in one of two states: broken or about to break. [wink] I then told them that I wasn't saying that they shouldn't use safeties -- they should -- but that safeties can't replace safe handling because sometimes they fail.

I had a safety break on a Remington 700ml. I could feel that moving the lever felt wrong, so I took it into a gunsmith.

My line to students is that if you ever use a mechanical safety (i.e. a mechanical safety prevents a firearm from discharging), than you've done something very wrong.

Maybe we can get Dennis and Callahan along with Minahan to do a thorough investigation and meter out blame where it should go... Bellicheck and Kraft...

I used to always make it a point to stop in FS when I was in the area and did so last Saturday. The place was mobbed with wall to wall people. Most of them wandering around like f'ng zombies dying to buy anything and equally brain dead. I know the place can get crowded but I've never seen it as bad as it was. Carl either needs to expand to a shop 4x the current size or start having a door man let only X number of people in at a time.

I have zero interest in browsing / buying in that type setup. If it's always as crowded as everyone says it is, it really is quite lucky nobody got injured. Seems like the chances are pretty high that you will hit someone with an ND.

I have zero interest in browsing / buying in that type setup. If it's always as crowded as everyone says it is, it really is quite lucky nobody got injured. Seems like the chances are pretty high that you will hit someone with an ND.

like everything else, there's a busy time and a dead time, just learning when each is can greatly improve your shopping experience. Tuesday and Wednesday mornings are typically dead and recently I purchased a rifle from them and it was like 30 minutes (or less) in and out. No waiting, spent a couple of minutes verifying the rifle condition and filled out my paperwork.

If you go in on their late night or saturday, it's going to be packed.

Like noxin says, it's really only Thursday nights and Saturdays. Besides if you don't have "training wheels" on anymore, the shop is not really worth browsing. It's the same inventory over and over again. It's nothing against FS but after you've been doing this awhile your perspective changes on buying stuff. (or at least it did for me. )

-Mike

Besides if you don't have "training wheels" on anymore, the shop is not really worth browsing. It's the same inventory over and over again. It's nothing against FS but after you've been doing this awhile your perspective changes on buying stuff. (or at least it did for me. )

If we didn't have "the list", I would be a lot more interested in shopping at FS. But we do, so if I'm looking for something I'm probably looking in the NES classifieds.

Is NES anti FS? [laugh]

As if! This place is packed with Four Seasons-o-philes. :)

Personally, I think Carl is a great guy, runs a solid gun store and is a strong 2A supporter (no FUDD creds). I wish more were like him. I'm not alone in that opinion, and that is why the store is always crowded.

Compare FS to the long list of gun stores NESers whine about with crappy customer service, the good old boys hanging out talking instead of helping potential customers, outrageous prices, dropping the dime on lawful citizens, etc.

Do I go to FS to browse and hang out? No way. But I stop buy when I actually need to buy something.

People will complain about literally nothing.
i could serve someone prime rib on a paper plate and they complain about paper plate.

FS is an amazing facility and excellent prices considering w live in mass.
i look for every reason to shop there.

If we didn't have "the list", I would be a lot more interested in shopping at FS. But we do, so if I'm looking for something I'm probably looking in the NES classifieds.

The list is just a nuisance. (I call up Walter Sobchak and I don't have to deal with the list. ) My issue with "browsing" used stuff is that the consigners at FS demand more money for the same used guns you can find in the classifieds, armslist, or gunbroker, etc. They demand it because they know there is a high level of noob foot traffic in the store, and I can't say that I blame them. Back when the market was softer (pre Obama) there were a lot more random deals to be had at FS. For example one time years ago I walked out of there with a barely used Sig P229 in .40 for like $425 + tax. I picked up a few other deals here and there, too, on the used section.

-Mike

People will complain about literally nothing. i could serve someone prime rib on a paper plate and they complain about paper plate. FS is an amazing facility and excellent prices considering w live in mass. i look for every reason to shop there.

Well if you are serving prime rib I don't think I would have anything to complain about! I could even do with out utensils..

So when/where do I get the paper plate prime rib?!? Yum

I wonder how long it took the Woburn PD to make it across the parking lot, assuming they heard the shot. [laugh]

People will complain about literally nothing.
i could serve someone prime rib on a paper plate and they complain about paper plate.

FS is an amazing facility and excellent prices considering w live in mass.
i look for every reason to shop there.

What kind of paper plate are we talking about here? because if it's the cheap paper plate, the prime rib will most likely soak through. and you can forget about cutting it with a knife. Yea, I would probably not want a paper plate with prime rib. I would complain about that. People shouldn't have to live like that.

I wonder how long it took the Woburn PD to make it across the parking lot, assuming they heard the shot. [laugh]

It's possible nothing happened. If nobody was injured, there's not much drama to go around. Unload gun, put it away, clean up the mess (if any), and start doing your best Frank Drebin impression.

-Mike

It's possible nothing happened. If nobody was injured, there's not much drama to go around. Unload gun, put it away, clean up the mess (if any), and start doing your best Frank Drebin impression.

-Mike
[video=youtube_share;5NNOrp_83RU]http://youtu.be/5NNOrp_83RU[/video]

It seems to be like this all the time now. I don't know why he hasn't expanded to a larger space. Maybe he's not willing to spend the money, but at this point in time it's got to be driving away sales. I don't shop there anymore for just that reason.

This, I like the guys and the product well enough (although there can always be more product), but the experience is just ... unpleasant. Either you're trying to get around someone or someone's trying to crawl over you.

Last time I was there I made an older gentleman almost cry because I hopped onto a computer not knowing he was in "line" before me. If you've ever been in FS, you know what a "line" in FS looks like.... It's called a cluster****.

Like noxin says, it's really only Thursday nights and Saturdays. Besides if you don't have "training wheels" on anymore, the shop is not really worth browsing. It's the same inventory over and over again. It's nothing against FS but after you've been doing this awhile your perspective changes on buying stuff. (or at least it did for me. )

-Mike

This. I love NES and buy many of my firearms there. However, I don't go there to shop. I go there knowing what I want.

Love all the people looking for details. If we get details, it's possible someone loses their license and all their stuff over what may have been a stupid and careless mistake. Are those stakes worth more info?

No one got hurt? Handle it internally, STFU and move on. Don't destroy someone's life over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom