• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ND at FS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds about right. I don't remember what brand of ammo, if I ever knew it. We went out 2-3 times a day for three days, and unloaded before we went in to the cabin. Fortunately nothing was hurt except some dirt.

Floating firing pin, I guess? Maybe if the primers were soft enough if he had rechambered it several times, it was sensitive enough... Wonder if it was Federal ammo... ?

-Mike

Floating firing pin, I guess? Maybe if the primers were soft enough if he had rechambered it several times, it was sensitive enough... Wonder if it was Federal ammo... ?

-Mike
Is slam fire at all possible if there's a firing pin block?

That sounds about right. I don't remember what brand of ammo, if I ever knew it. We went out 2-3 times a day for three days, and unloaded before we went in to the cabin. Fortunately nothing was hurt except some dirt.

If anything, everyone got a huge teachable moment out of how important Rule #1 is.... Closest I've seen to that is at a bowling pin shoot, a guy had a 1911 that he just had the trigger done up on. When the gun was loaded to make ready, it fired... and we knew the guy was not touching the trigger in any way. Thankfully it just went into the dirt in front of the table/line because the guy was a safe shooter. The gun got unloaded and pulled off the line and he got it fixed.

-Mike

wow i am glad to hear nobody got hurt.

i took my woman to FS yesterday...thank got the ND didn't happen with us there cuz she would have seen me poop in my pants and today i would be single.

BTW i was at FS a few weeks back and a customer was dry firing a gun while pointing it directly at an employee. the employee was like "please dont point that at me"....i was in disbelief like how can a grown man dry fire a gun at another human being? why why why why why why i do not understand.

it's no different than saying "hey i am going to take a dump in your living room but don't worry i will clean it up" only that now the dump is going 1000 ft/s and it's lead.

Is slam fire at all possible if there's a firing pin block?

Most rifles don't have firing pin blocks, at most, they'll have a firing pin spring (I think AKs have one of these) but a lot of guns like AR-15s and the like just have a very light, but floating firing pin. This typically isn't a problem as people don't usually jack in the same round a bunch of times... and even with an AR-15, you'd be hard pressed to -make- it happen, but I could see it happening with an AR with non-typical ammo that might have a softer primer cup to it.

ETA: To answer your question though, anything is possible, although not likely, even with a firing pin
block. With factory ammo and a serviceable firearm though, this isn't very likely. Also note that some guns disable the firing pin block in different ways. For example when I mentioned the guy with the 1911... it was an S&W... and on most SW1911s, when you depress the grip safety, (your hand is on the gun) the firing pin block is disabled... although in his case, the actual root cause was the sear letting go of the hammer because it didn't have a good enough engagement and the concussion of the slide falling jarred it free when the gun went fully into battery.

-Mike

Last edited:
If anything, everyone got a huge teachable moment out of how important Rule #1 is.... Closest I've seen to that is at a bowling pin shoot, a guy had a 1911 that he just had the trigger done up on. When the gun was loaded to make ready, it fired... and we knew the guy was not touching the trigger in any way. Thankfully it just went into the dirt in front of the table/line because the guy was a safe shooter. The gun got unloaded and pulled off the line and he got it fixed.

-Mike

is this why newer guns have firing pin safeties?

nm question answered

wow i am glad to hear nobody got hurt.

i took my woman to FS yesterday...thank got the ND didn't happen with us there cuz she would have seen me poop in my pants and today i would be single.

BTW i was at FS a few weeks back and a customer was dry firing a gun while pointing it directly at an employee. the employee was like "please dont point that at me"....i was in disbelief like how can a grown man dry fire a gun at another human being? why why why why why why i do not understand.

it's no different than saying "hey i am going to take a dump in your living room but don't worry i will clean it up" only that now the dump is going 1000 ft/s and it's lead.

Well, that and someone pinching a loaf in your living room won't kill you, except perhaps your sense of smell. [rofl]

-Mike

is this why newer guns have firing pin safeties?

Most modern handguns do (as a form of drop safety) but many rifles and shotguns do not. That said, even if I took a typical AR-15 or an AK, loaded it, and threw it off a small cliff it probably wouldn't discharge. I think the feature made its way into handguns because on the whole, they are more likely to be dropped... and they are also more likely to be dropped in such a way that a discharge can injure/kill someone. When I researched "ADs" a long time ago, most of the handgun ADs were confined to really old guns that got dropped typically due to user negligence, or POS guns like lorcins and so on that either don't have an FP safety, or are just so mechanically unstable that enough impact could set them off. On the other hand there are scores of hunting accidents involving dropped rifles and shotguns.

-Mike

Love the sig line

[laugh]
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DRFTraining i dont find your humor amusing id suggest you remove it

I was reading the manual on the Ruger LCP and it has a specific warning about the possibility of the firearm firing if it was dropped. It's probably just standard lawyerese, but it put me off from considering one. I think the S&W BG380 has a similar warning.

And of course any safety mechanism can fail, so dropping guns in general is a bad idea.

Most modern handguns do (as a form of drop safety) but many rifles and shotguns do not. That said, even if I took a typical AR-15 or an AK, loaded it, and threw it off a small cliff it probably wouldn't discharge. I think the feature made its way into handguns because on the whole, they are more likely to be dropped... and they are also more likely to be dropped in such a way that a discharge can injure/kill someone. When I researched "ADs" a long time ago, most of the handgun ADs were confined to really old guns that got dropped typically due to user negligence, or POS guns like lorcins and so on that either don't have an FP safety, or are just so mechanically unstable that enough impact could set them off. On the other hand there are scores of hunting accidents involving dropped rifles and shotguns.

-Mike

-Mike

Thx for info.
Is this why joe biden told me to buy a double barrel shotgun? Jk

I was reading the manual on the Ruger LCP and it has a specific warning about the possibility of the firearm firing if it was dropped. It's probably just standard lawyerese, but it put me off from considering one.

My guess is if it has a floating pin, it might fire if it was dropped from some really high place or thrown up against something, I would bet that from a common drop height of 5 feet or less vs concrete nothing would happen. S&W E series 1911 also has no FP safety, but IIRC, they put a titanium firing pin and probably an extra strength spring in it to mitigate the "typical" risk of an inertial discharge from a drop.

-Mike

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DRFTraining
i dont find your humor amusing id suggest you remove it
I'm assuming you're referring to the "only if it was a cop" comment someone made.

I viewed this not so much as an attempt at humor but as a sociological commentary on how the system works.

For example, when a Framingham cop accidentally shot an innocent through the neck, the DA was speaking of it as "an accident for which no charges would be appropriate" before the investigation had even begun. Care to guess the chances a non-LEO would get that treatment if he accidentally shot someone due to poor trigger finger discipline?

Honest to God question: what happens after a ND at a gunstore? The store closes? Everyone leaves? Lockdown? The police come and lead everyone out with their hands in the air like it was a school? Everyone shits themselves and says Holy F***. what the hell was THAT? and just goes back to their shopping? What actually happens after the BOOM? I agree with [I think it was] drgrant, who said this was a "teaching moment" and I am honestly curious about the aftermath.

Last edited:
I was reading the manual on the Ruger LCP and it has a specific warning about the possibility of the firearm firing if it was dropped. It's probably just standard lawyerese, but it put me off from considering one. I think the S&W BG380 has a similar warning.

And of course any safety mechanism can fail, so dropping guns in general is a bad idea.
You live in MA so don't worry, all new handguns get drop tested [wink]

-Mike

Even without the primer being soft, if the primer wasn't all the way flush, or slightly recessed in the case the floating pic could have set it off. That would be my guess considering he said his friend shoots competitively so he was probably using ammo he loaded himself.

Most rifles don't have firing pin blocks, at most, they'll have a firing pin spring (I think AKs have one of these) but a lot of guns like AR-15s and the like just have a very light, but floating firing pin. This typically isn't a problem as people don't usually jack in the same round a bunch of times... and even with an AR-15, you'd be hard pressed to -make- it happen, but I could see it happening with an AR with non-typical ammo that might have a softer primer cup to it.

I see one or two AR slamfires a year at high-power matches. (Granted that's only one or two out of however many ten's of thousands of rounds.) I suspect that high primers are the main contributing factor.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're referring to the "only if it was a cop" comment someone made.

I viewed this not so much as an attempt at humor but as a sociological commentary on how the system works.

For example, when a Framingham cop accidentally shot an innocent through the neck, the DA was speaking of it as "an accident for which no charges would be appropriate" before the investigation had even begun. Care to guess the chances a non-LEO would get that treatment if he accidentally shot someone due to poor trigger finger discipline?

That quote isn't from this thread, or at least I don't see it. Idk where it's from, it's in his signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom