Mass. LTC Class A-All Lawful Purposes licensees

Good ol' New Bedford is Red and we've got more drugs, murderers, and rapists than most of you. Neighboring towns like Acushnet and Fairhaven will give anyone All Lawfull. Mine is Class A LTC with reason for issuing for Business Purposes Only, but i'm always on call and theres no restrictions set or listed for me.[smile]
I heard we got a new Chief though so i'll update next year when I renew.

My original permit came from Hopkinton. I would say they were a red. I had to go through an interview with the chief who point blank asked me why I wanted an ALP Class A license. I guess my answer didn't stack up as I was issued a Target Practice permit only.

Uxbridge though is definitely green. When I renewed it was fast and easy. Just like it should be.

Scrivener said:
"Brookline is wierd [sic]."

Brookline is past weird. Brookline is flat-out in violation of the controlling law.

It requires "practical fire" exercises in violation of the safety course statute, even (IIRC) for renewals (as Newton does).
Could you please explain the Newton part? I had no experience with "practical fire" request in Newton for a new applicant.

To the individual who made the remarks regarding New Bedford: In the context of my experience doing the fingerprint checks at the State Police, New Bedford was a perrenial "problem child" town. They don't seem to understand the Mass Gun Laws there. Another "problem child" was Gloucester.

As a long time resident of Leominster, and despite the glowing reports from others, I still have my reservations about how "green" it has become. There has been no change in Chiefs. The Chief giveth and the Chief taketh away. Right now it is a good place to get an A ALP but it wasn't always, and in my opinion the situation could change again. There was a change in firearms licensing officers so it suggests to me that Chief Roddy is a kind of hands-off guy with regard to delegating licensure authority. When there is a change in who is in charge of licensing again, it will be interesting to see what happens.

I cannot say enough good things about the civilian firearms clerk, Theresa. She is very helpful and very nice.

Mark

"Could you please explain the Newton part? I had no experience with "practical fire" request in Newton for a new applicant."

Sure. Safety courses are a matter of STATUTE; not local yokel whim (the practices of Brookline, Boston, Newton, etc. notwithstanding). Specifically, c. 140, s. 131P requires applicants NOT already licensed to provide:

"... a basic firearms safety certificate; provided, however, that a certificate issued by the division of fisheries and wildlife pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131, evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunting safety course, shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section.."

Note the complete, utter and total absence of any reference to a "practical course," range test" or other impediments. Note also that Brookline and Newton require such even for renewals AND that Newton demands them - with a letter from the chief - for people ALREADY LICENSED who are just MOVING into town.

Thank those who think discretion to issue an LTC necessarily confers authority to fabricate "requirements" for making people accept this practice. That and those too ill-informed or invertebrate to challenge such abuses, thus encouraging more of them.

Scrivener,
Thank you for a prompt reply.
I can only talk about my personal experience with Newton. I was a new applicant and they requested a basic firearms safety certificate, nothing on the "practical course" or "range test". As to the Class A ALP, I did request ALP, but got Class A restricted. I have no information if Newton issues ALP at all to non business owners. They had a lengthly list of requirements to "prove" that one does need the ALP, making it practically impossible for me to get ALP.

JackO said:
Scrivener,
They had a lengthly list of requirements to "prove" that one does need the ALP, making it practically impossible for me to get ALP.

351 ways to interpret the same law. MA is definitely an interesting place to live.

RJ

My contact w/Newton was 1 year ago; Lt. Aucoin. My statements are based upon that phone conversation.

Chief Glidden has since strongly advised towns advocating such crap (specifically, Brookline) that their practice invites further legislative action restricting such antics. It is possible (I won't say likely, but possible) that Newton took the hint.

ALP in Burlington or Arlington

Has anybody had any experience getting an ALP in Burlington or Arlington?

yugnu said:

My girlfriend, a former special agent (USAF) and single mom, was refused a Class A in Burlington.

I got my current LTC ALP in Norton. Both the Chief Bruce Finch and the issuing officer, Lt Stanley Walasavage are great to deal with. The Chief even said to me that "you never know whan an officer may need help from a citizen."

The issuing officer got my last LTC, and noticed that the State had fumbled some dates and only issued it for 5 years from my birthdate instead of six. Even though I didn't want to bother him, and just wanted to get the LTC in my wallet and get out the door, he insisted on re-issuing me a new license because..."you should get what you pay for."

This is a huge change in the way business is done in Norton since Chief Finch was appointed. I've had a license here for over 25 years, and it was worse than pulling teeth before.

Last edited:
I've dealt with Norton, especially Lt. Walasavage. Dealing with Norton is such a refreshing change from certain other towns, such as Brookline, Newton, Worcester, etc.

Class A unrestricted

Agawam is listed green as it should be. i simply wrote in the "reasons" box "all lawful purposes." no problems. took 4 weeks to the day.

yugnu said:

Welcome to the forum! Arlington is not too bad. I know a few people who had no problems there.

thalife said:
Agawam is listed green as it should be. i simply wrote in the "reasons" box "all lawful purposes." no problems. took 4 weeks to the day.

Nice to see some more from this end of the state.[smile]

I let you know in about two weeks for Greenfield. -- after the interview he said I was all set, gave me some locks,and my reciept has what looks like a license number with an A on the end of it.

I mentioned Framingham being green many months ago. A friend of mine just basically walked in with his class paperwork and applied and was handed an ALP.

Haven't seen him on the range lately, either. I'll have to nag him about coming out to practice.

Ross

yugnu said:

Re; Burlington: I got my LTC A For All Lawful Purposes in Jan. of 04. My wife only applied for an LTC A for Target Only and received it. We actually were the last applicants for the retiring officer who used me as a training exercise for the new guy. He really put me through the wringer, but I received my permit in a very timely manner. Two weeks later my business partner and his wife both went in and applied with the new guy and received their LTC A's For All Lawful Purposes without any hassle at all.

yugnu said:

My wife and I both got ALP in Arlington (mine in 37 days, hers in 43 days). I've talked to the chief -- he believes you're either sane enough to have a gun or you're not, so the town generally issues ALP or nothing. And Arlington doesn't ask for any BS extra stuff -- the only thing beyond the state standard application they ask for is for you to sign an acknowledgement that you read the AG's 2-page summary of MA deadly force law (a copy of which comes with the application packet). It definitely deserves its green ranking at packing.org.

Groton should be green bases on my experience. A nice lady took my application and fingerprints and told me it could be 60 days, things were running slow. I asked if she wanted a letter of recommendation a LEO friend had given me, she said it wasn't neccesary. About 30 days later they called and I had my LTC-A ALP. This was summer 2004.

Ned said:
Groton should be green bases on my experience. A nice lady took my application and fingerprints and told me it could be 60 days, things were running slow. I asked if she wanted a letter of recommendation a LEO friend had given me, she said it wasn't neccesary. About 30 days later they called and I had my LTC-A ALP. This was summer 2004.

When my wife went to apply for her LTC-ALP last year in Groton the nice lady said she was happy the wife was applying and thought that more women should.

Back
Top Bottom