• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

License renewal?

Sent in renewal with local PD first week of June they processed right away and gave me receipt. Called firearms bureau today because my license expires this Sunday they said it had been processed by them was waiting activation and deliver back to PD give it 3 more weeks. 🙁
Looking to buy a gun in next couple weeks I assume that will be a no go with the receipt letter and an expired LTC?

Sent in renewal with local PD first week of June they processed right away and gave me receipt. Called firearms bureau today because my license expires this Sunday they said it had been processed by them was waiting activation and deliver back to PD give it 3 more weeks. 🙁
Looking to buy a gun in next couple weeks I assume that will be a no go with the receipt letter and an expired LTC?
That will depend on how literate the dealer is. Legally you can do this, but big box stores and the illiterate won't allow it (and there are plenty of MA dealers who can't read plain English).

One caveat is that once the new one is activated, MIRCS won't allow a transfer with your old LTC # and PIN.

Buy the gun now.

Ya unfortunately timing won’t work out before Sunday not a huge deal as seller will hold it for me just more of annoyance but I expect that living in Mass.
Talk with the dealer. He should answer whether or not he'll honor the infinite grace period and MIRCS receipt.

That will depend on how literate the dealer is. Legally you can do this, but big box stores and the illiterate won't allow it (and there are plenty of MA dealers who can't read plain English).
I had this discussion with a dealer yesterday. Doesn't effect me at the moment, it fell out of a comment about how long my renewal was taking (now on 3 months, with 2 months remaining on my current one). His stance was "Well, you can carry, but you can't buy anything". I didn't see any purpose in starting an argument, and let it go. :rolleyes:

I had this discussion with a dealer yesterday. Doesn't effect me at the moment, it fell out of a comment about how long my renewal was taking (now on 3 months, with 2 months remaining on my current one). His stance was "Well, you can carry, but you can't buy anything". I didn't see any purpose in starting an argument, and let it go. :rolleyes:
Yep! Your dealer being a dealer . . .

Jeremiah 5:21

I had this discussion with a dealer yesterday. Doesn't effect me at the moment, it fell out of a comment about how long my renewal was taking (now on 3 months, with 2 months remaining on my current one). His stance was "Well, you can carry, but you can't buy anything from my shop". I didn't see any purpose in starting an argument, and let it go. :rolleyes:
FIFY

I filled out the form and got a receipt from the on line pay system the town uses. The other day I got the MIRCS form in the mail. Indefinite grace period and current license will remain valid until application is approved or denied. I take that to mean my PIN will remain active until I get the new license, so I should be able to buy guns and ammunition, do FTF transfers and so on.

Absolutely WRONG! Try reading the bottom of said MIRCS form.

No big box stores will sell you anything, stupidity. But the MIRCS receipt gives full privileges to buy/sell/carry until new LTC is issued. There is a small period of time when new LTC is activated with new PIN but PD still has it, MIRCS won't work during this period of time.

Haverhill has always been good with renewals......technically still is as my latest renewal has been approved.....maybe I'm just a worry wart.

Haverhill does not do interviews for renewals anymore......which I thought was quite convenient at first but....

I took my application and check to the pd as the hpd website instructs......dropped it off at the dispatch desk and a very young girl not in uniform took it from me and said she'd get it to the detective. No receipt.....nothing. that was back in mid June (my license expires in late October but I always renew early). I have not heard a thing since then no email no call so I emailed the detective in August 21 asking if he received my packet and if everything was in order. 3 days later he e.ailes me and says he renewed my ltc and that it should be in any day now.

So I'm fine with everything in the process except for no confirmation that they accepted my packet. At lease pop an email to the applicant that they actually got it......

Haverhill has always been good with renewals......technically still is as my latest renewal has been approved.....maybe I'm just a worry wart.

Haverhill does not do interviews for renewals anymore......which I thought was quite convenient at first but....

I took my application and check to the pd as the hpd website instructs......dropped it off at the dispatch desk and a very young girl not in uniform took it from me and said she'd get it to the detective. No receipt.....nothing. that was back in mid June (my license expires in late October but I always renew early). I have not heard a thing since then no email no call so I emailed the detective in August 21 asking if he received my packet and if everything was in order. 3 days later he e.ailes me and says he renewed my ltc and that it should be in any day now.

So I'm fine with everything in the process except for no confirmation that they accepted my packet. At lease pop an email to the applicant that they actually got it......
No! MGL MANDATES that the PD Mail you the MIRCS receipt within 7 days if it isn't handed to you on the spot. Of course we all know that MGL mandates on PDs are meaningless.

i got my renewal receipt back in march, ltc expired june, called dcjis they said it is pending review local pd ? called local firearms voice mail, thank you for the info sparky

Just went for my renewal appointment tonight. Got my receipt and the sergeant told me I’m good to go, mine doesn’t expire till December. The two officers on duty tonight were awesome. We were shooting the shit about how the last 4 gun related incidents in our small town had nothing to do with properly licensed gun owners and how gun laws won’t help anything. They also went on to tell me that they were the two officers on duty that reported to the last incident about 5 min from my house where they where they were shot at. I knew there was a standoff of some sort but I didn’t know the specifics.

Similar story to the one posted above. Sent in my renewal application (a little early) in July. Received a call a couple weeks ago to setup my interview. Went to the station last week and met with a very nice Lt. who went over a few things, took my picture, gave me my receipt, and sent me on my way in about 15 minutes. Said I'd have my new LTC in 4-6 weeks, which gives me plenty of time before the current one expires.

All and all, a positive experience.

Somerset has a new online booking system for appointments and the site says not to book an appt until your 3 months away from your expiration date. I did my renewal July 21st, I called the state this week and they said it's done and just needed to be sent to the PD, so I think I fall into that LTC twilight zone because my old one expired today.....

Mr's 1903 got hers back in 3 weeks but that was in late April early May.

Interesting to see the experience varies so much by town but it seems like Somerville has it down. Drop off renewal packet in mail slot, get email confirmation within a day or two that it's being processed, they pulled in my photo from the RMV so didn't need to meet with anyone in the station, renewed LTC arrives in mail 7 weeks later.

I had to make an appointment but I did it directly with the sergeant via email and it was less than a week after I contacted him. Brought my renewal application and $ in for the appointment.

Interesting to see the experience varies so much by town but it seems like Somerville has it down. Drop off renewal packet in mail slot, get email confirmation within a day or two that it's being processed, they pulled in my photo from the RMV so didn't need to meet with anyone in the station, renewed LTC arrives in mail 7 weeks later.
What does this "renewal packet" consist of? Your state form, and what else?

Nice. Will they let you know if anything is missing?

Nice. Will they let you know if anything is missing?
I would assume the followup email they sent would let me know if anything was missing. The email confirmation that I got was the paperwork that says it was submitted to the DCJIS.

State form, copy of driver's license, proof of residency, payment.
Oh, so you provide the "packet" of materials to them. It's not a "packet" of stuff from them to you. I wasn't sure of this, as some departments do have an outgoing packet of information/whatever. Thank you.

Worcester is claiming license renewals right now are 4 months out for pickup due to Boston .gov mouth breathers.

Worcester is claiming license renewals right now are 4 months out for pickup due to Boston .gov mouth breathers.

I'm the last one to want to take any well deserved heat off Boston .gov mouth breathers, so let me just say that back in June Worthington, who only has people in the office available to process licenses once a week for 4 hours managed to get me a renewal in 63 days.

I'd suggest that Worcester is part of the problem.

I'm the last one to want to take any well deserved heat off Boston .gov mouth breathers, so let me just say that back in June Worthington, who only has people in the office available to process licenses once a week for 4 hours managed to get me a renewal in 63 days.

I'd suggest that Worcester is part of the problem.
I would say very high demand coupled with .gov is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom