• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

License renewal?

I guess the eastern part of the state is under different rules. Fall River and Westport on renewal new picture and fingerprints were done.
dropped my renewal app (and 2 S.A.S.E.) off in New Beige the beginning of january, in the beginning of March they mailed me a receipt for the application dated feb 1 (or so) old LTC expired March 13, new LTC was in my mail box 4/13
DL photo was used (RealID) and no new prints needed, unless they lifted them from my APP

I renewed mine in March. Just dropped off renewal paperwork at PD and they gave me a DCJIS receipt. LO said they would use my DL pic and had my fingerprints on file. Anyways still waiting for call to go get it.

I went in for my renewal picture and interview on 5/3. As of today, nothing so I called DCJIS and the woman said to expect it in 2-3 weeks. I think it's about the slowest renewal I've had.

I have a non Res MA LTC. Expires annually, on July 18. I sent my renewal in June 1st.....my bad, but the only take money orders, no personal checks..
Called today, "oh yeah. We got it 3 weeks ago, it's in process. You should see it in 6 or 8 weeks "
Me: huh?
Them: "we tell everyone 90 days. And there's no grace period, yours Expires on the 18th" call back in a couple of weeks, I'll see if we can move it up a little "

My MA NR LTC renewal was sent in April 3rd. I've seen nothing! My current NR LTC doesn't expire until September. I'm up for my LEOSA re-qual later this month, which will cover me regardless.

It may be time to call them.

I went in for my renewal picture and interview on 5/3. As of today, nothing so I called DCJIS and the woman said to expect it in 2-3 weeks. I think it's about the slowest renewal I've had.
thanks for the info, mine was 4/1 still waiting

OK, I just renewed my DRIVER'S LICENSE.

Maybe last Tuesday, I did all the stuff online, the last step was to make an appointment at AAA. I did that. Yesterday, I went in to the AAA at 2:30 for my appointment. Did all the paperwork, paid the fee, did pictures, and about 5-15 minutes later, I walked out all done. The new license ("REAL ID") will be in the mail within 7 days.

Maybe the firearms people need to sub-contract this function out to the AAA.
It is the PD, not the State.

The State approves things pretty fast and answers their phones / Emails.

The PD don't give a sh*t.

Worcester will tell people the exact date to go pick up their new license when they apply. A buddy applied in February, was told to go on July 7th. Amazing how they knew the exact date the LTC would be at the PD. Right?

Last edited:
I waited a couple days over 4mo for my resident renewal. 125 days to be exact.
Geesus. :confused: So what is current NES consensus thinking on how early (specifically, the number of months) one should apply for a resident LTC renewal without...

1) Pissing off your local CoP by filing too early (in his or her opinion), and,
2) Not ending up carrying around a paper slip for months after your expiration date/birthday?

Yes, I know the paper slip is supposed to be just fine practically forever, but I've run into PIN-related problems in the past.

One reason I ask (besides the current legislative anti-2A insanity) is that my CoP is a bit on the anti side personally (despite a generally Green town) and he may be facing a budget & personnel cut that would provide him with a perfect excuse for dragging his feet.

Geesus. :confused: So what is current NES consensus thinking on how early (specifically, the number of months) one should apply for a resident LTC renewal
Depends entirely on what city/town you’re renewing from. What may be reasonable for one town may not be for another. Me personally, I think 3 months prior and you should be good for the most part.

One reason I ask (besides the current legislative anti-2A insanity) is that my CoP is a bit on the anti side personally (despite a generally Green town) and he may be facing a budget & personnel cut that would provide him with a perfect excuse for dragging his feet.
Sounds like it’s ripe for a lawsuit. GOAL posted on Facebook a few months back about potentially suing Boston & Attleboro PDs for their extremely lengthy wait times due to similar reasons and they were looking for plaintiffs. Both of those cities are taking anywhere from 6-8 months to issue licenses. Might want to consider reaching out to GOAL or Comm2A if you find yourself in that situation.

Geesus. :confused: So what is current NES consensus thinking on how early (specifically, the number of months) one should apply for a resident LTC renewal without...

2) Not ending up carrying around a paper slip for months after your expiration date/birthday?

Yes, I know the paper slip is supposed to be just fine practically forever, but I've run into PIN-related problems in the past.

5-6 months early for Resident LTC.
6 months early for NR LTC

may be facing a budget & personnel cut that would provide him with a perfect excuse for dragging his feet.
This is a perfect reason to remove all the non-required stuff and completely streamline the process. They should set up their system to move license applications and renewals through with as little effort on both applicant and approver as possible.

Turned my renewal in on Monday and have an appointment for Tuesday to take a new picture and enter the app (so my license doesn't expire)

Every town is different - would love it if mail in renewals were done locally but once every five years isn't a heavy burden since Taunton does the appointments after work hours.

I'm still gonna start EXTRA early this year. Maybe mid-September. My B-day is in January. 5 years ago, I renewed in late Nov and was 30 days over before I got my lic.

I started mine 6 months early and have it documented so f*ck them if I don't get it in time. It was all over Email so it made documentation easy.

My renewal is approaching, the State confirmed, more than once, that they approved it and I still don't have my license.

Lawyering up time is approaching.

Depends entirely on what city/town you’re renewing from. What may be reasonable for one town may not be for another. Me personally, I think 3 months prior and you should be good for the most part.

Sounds like it’s ripe for a lawsuit. GOAL posted on Facebook a few months back about potentially suing Boston & Attleboro PDs for their extremely lengthy wait times due to similar reasons and they were looking for plaintiffs. Both of those cities are taking anywhere from 6-8 months to issue licenses. Might want to consider reaching out to GOAL or Comm2A if you find yourself in that situation.

@GOAL Let me know if I can be part of a lawsuit, currently renewing in Boston.

January submitted - have automated Email and payment proof.

March - have an Email from the PD confirming when they received it.

Around May I called the State and was told it was approved.

I NEVER GOT A RECEIPT.

I am still waiting.

I Emailed the PD twice last week, waiting for a reply. I will assume many took PTO for the short week.

@GOAL Let me know if I can be part of a lawsuit, currently renewing in Boston.

January submitted - have automated Email and payment proof.

March - have an Email from the PD confirming when they received it.

Around May I called the State and was told it was approved.

I NEVER GOT A RECEIPT.

I am still waiting.

I Emailed the PD twice last week, waiting for a reply. I will assume many took PTO for the short week.
Send an email to [email protected] about being a potential plaintiff and they’ll have an attorney review your case.

Not Somerset, My wife just renewed hers back in May, new picture but no prints. I mean, do they really change?
It was funny because after taking the picture I ask the licensing officer "is there anything else" a week later I get a letter saying I never did the fingerprints for my renewal. Go figure!

I mailed my non-resident renewal application on 2/27/23, and received the new permit on 6/29/23. The new permit was dated 6/27/23, so the whole renewal process took four months. I applied three months in advance, thinking that was enough time, but it obviously wasn't. So I'll know to plan accordingly next time.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom