• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ltc renewal

Stump63

NES Member
My ltc is due for renewal this yr….whats the recommendations for when to start the process, my buddy owns a gun shop told me 6 months ahead of expiration date due to the back log due to PD holding onto them and doing a bunch at once…any insight on this from you professionals!

My ltc is due for renewal this yr….whats the recommendations for when to start the process, my buddy owns a gun shop told me 6 months ahead of expiration date due to the back log due to PD holding onto them and doing a bunch at once…any insight on this from you professionals!
Sounds like you already got a professional opinion 😉
I'd say renew as soon as your PD will allow. The new ltc will start when the current expires.

I'd say renew as soon as your PD will allow. The new ltc will start when the current expires.
I just wanted some advice from someone that maybe recently did theirs….I know everytown is different but wasnt sure if things have changed much in 5 yrs…Thanks

I had a reminder in my phone 4 months out, based on past renewals.

The PD sent me a reminder in the mail. It arrived three days before my phone reminder.

I had the thing submitted within two days and had the new LTC in the mail just over 4 weeks later. So almost three months before I needed it.

That’s light-speed, in my experience. But four months should be plenty safe.

my pd always books my appointment a few months out but the renewal comes to the house in 4-6 weeks. last time, i made my appointment in july for a november renewal. it came beginning of august. my biggest issue is remembering where i put my new ltc when it's time to start carrying it.

Submitted mine (November 8) in Peabody, two months before expiration date . Lt. told me it would take 12 weeks to process and issue. Received it in the mail 7 weeks later. Color me impressed. [thumbsup]

Last edited:
About 6 weeks for my renewal. If you're concerned then renew as early as possible.

Dropped renewal app off at PD 11/13/23
Called 11/17/23 to ask about status - Offered same day appointment, made appointment for 11/20/23 since I had a schedule conflict
Had photo done at PM on 11/20/23. Told LTC would be mailed
LTC arrived by mail on 1/24/24

Dropped renewal app off at PD 11/13/23
Called 11/17/23 to ask about status - Offered same day appointment, made appointment for 11/20/23 since I had a schedule conflict
Had photo done at PM on 11/20/23. Told LTC would be mailed
LTC arrived by mail on 1/24/24

I blew me away this time when they didn't call to see me in-person or take a new photo. I was expecting them to reach out for the usual interview, but the email I got wasn't a "when can you come in?" It was, instead, a "your LTC is ready and we mailed it yesterday."

Wild.

You don't trust your friend?

6 months is good. Sooner if you can.

I did mine in Boston around 7 months early.

I've always renewed 6 months before it expires.

I blew me away this time when they didn't call to see me in-person or take a new photo. I was expecting them to reach out for the usual interview, but the email I got wasn't a "when can you come in?" It was, instead, a "your LTC is ready and we mailed it yesterday."

Wild.
Your also in haverhill right?

Yeah for renewals there is no interview in haverhill anymore. Drop the packet off at the dispatch desk with my check. Officer emailed me that he received it. About 7 weeks later he emailed me to come by and pick it up but he had to have me sign the bullshit "I ain't lost or had any guns stolen" memo.....then he handed me my license. Pretty easy in haverhill

Your also in haverhill right?

Yeah for renewals there is no interview in haverhill anymore. Drop the packet off at the dispatch desk with my check. Officer emailed me that he received it. About 7 weeks later he emailed me to come by and pick it up but he had to have me sign the bullshit "I ain't lost or had any guns stolen" memo.....then he handed me my license. Pretty easy in haverhill

No, I'm a couple towns south of there.

It all went so smoothly that I was tempted to email my chief and tell him that whoever he's got on the LEO desk now is doing a good job. I settled for simply replying to the department secretary's email in a very complimentary way.

Wild.
They just use your drivers license photo

I filled out the application and because of my age didn't have to pay a fee. Dropped it off at the police station waited about 4+ months and got it back with my license picture on it. A friend of mine three towns over did the same thing and got his in half the time.

They used to not let you apply more than 30 days in advance now the recommending three months I just completed mine. I’m gonna mail it tomorrow.
It seems to me that they might’ve reworded some of the questions..
At my last renewal, that’s when they added the page about, lost or stolen firearms.

Usually I just go down there and pay them $100. I don’t actually have to do anything. What I found interesting is I wanted a copy of my criminal history report and apparently they won’t give that out to you even if it’s your own report so that makes it more challenging. This guy just got to mail my stuff in with the check and they’ll add the criminal history report to it..

Nothings changed since my last renewal, so I’m not expecting any problems

I sent mine in the end of October, still waiting. I called the state to check on it and the person on the other end I could barely hear,barked something,I have no idea what. I asked if that meant the PD had it and she said no..

This! I called my PD last year and was told they will tell me when I could renew and got an “appointment “ three months later and had to wait another three months to get the new LTC which had expired a month before.

This! I called my PD last year and was told they will tell me when I could renew and got an “appointment “ three months later and had to wait another three months to get the new LTC which had expired a month before.
My new town makes me wait until 90 days before expiration... not cool. :(

Back
Top Bottom