IWB holsters

I run no holster. I use a techna clip, curious to hear what people think of those.

You're a brave soul admitting that. Be prepared for chastising about carrying with trigger exposed. How do you like it? I'm interested in it myself.

As for remora, I must have got wrong size shipped to me. I specified LC9s, though. Customer service sucked. I cut the top off and resewed, works ok now. I'd go sticky instead of remora based on my past dealings.

Last edited:
I think the moral of this thread is that a holster is a very personal choice and you have to experiment and see what works for you. Plenty of opposing opinions about the same models here.

You're going to spend $400 on the right holster. $100-$125 for the holster and $300 for the box of holsters you tried first.

I like my Milt Sparks and Crossbreed equally.

Sent from State prison using contraband cell phone.

Lots of votes for CrossBreed. Take a look at Stealth Gear, I have both and think that the materials used by Stealth Gear is an improvement on the CrossBreed concept. Much more comfortable and cooler in hot weather.

And I'm the exact opposite. I wore the Crossbreed for a week and hated it. Milt Sparks VMII horsehide is the only solution that I find comfortable for an IWB. Most here would never spend the money however.

I did, actually. I had a VM-II. I hated it. Very uncomfortable and a pain to put and take off.

I run no holster. I use a techna clip, curious to hear what people think of those.
Holsters do a couple things. They cover the trigger guard to prevent the trigger from accidentally getting pulled if you bump into something, or when you grip the gun. They also keep the gun securely in position. The techna clip does neither. Clips that don't cover the trigger guard are spectacularly unsafe.

I think the moral of this thread is that a holster is a very personal choice and you have to experiment and see what works for you. Plenty of opposing opinions about the same models here.

I think you are right, a lot of trial and error to find the right one. Anyway thank you all for your help and opinions. Now I see holsters I have never heard of to consider.

I am pretty happy with my Elite size8, when I carry my LC9s. I also bought a Blade-tech, if I want to try appendix carry. The Blade-tech has excellent retention for the LC9. Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Crossbreed is nice but I found it too bulky for a subcompact. Don't think its necessary unless the gun is big or heavy.

My primary holster is a White Hat Maxclip. Well made, small, comfortable, easy to put on/take off, and ok priced with a promo code. I also have a cheap $25 Don Hume that gets the job done in case I ever need it.

One reason so many of us have a box of holsters (and more than a few "carry guns") is that it's just about impossible to both conceal and comfortably carry a gun worth having. I hear people say their holster is so comfortable they forget it's there. Well, I've never experienced that and I've tried a ton of gun/holster combinations.

A lot of this comes down to one's size/shape, method of carry, etc. I would just try something for a while but don't immediately decide it's no good just because the comfort level isn't perfect.

I'm 6'2 and about 160 pounds. IWB at about 4-5 o'clock really works well for me. But, the holster/gun combo matter a lot to avoid printing under a light shirt. These days I'm carrying a Ruger LC9s Pro. I really like the gun, nice trigger, shoots well for me, etc. But, I don't think it conceals any better that my Glock 26. Actually, nothing has ever concealed better for me (apart from tiny little .380s like the LCP) than the 26. Something about the shape of the grip on the 26 really avoids any printing. But, especially in warm weather, I like the slightly improved comfort of a lighter 9mm. The single stack 9s have grip shapes/lengths that can be an issue, and particularly with an extended mag. The best single stack 9 I have tried for carry is the Ruger. The grip is nicely shaped and it conceals well.

If I'm going to the trouble of seeking that nice thin 9mm that has just the best possible carry profile, and that shoots well, the one thing I don't want to do is load up the carry weight by using some heavy thick holster. This is why the leather/kydex combination is so popular (I like Crossbreed, but there are tons of options out there). You get the stability/comfort of leather, but the thin kydex shell to avoid extra weight/thickness.

For someone new to carry, I would get a leather/kydex holster and just live with it for a few months. That, and shoot the hell out of your carry gun. Little guns are not easy to shoot relative to full sized pistols.

If I carry iwb I use an original alien gear for both a SW Shield and a G19. It's pretty good as far as iwb goes.

Not sure of your experience level but I carry owb probably 95 percent of the time, I find that it's very nearly as easy as iwb.

I find that the Desantis Inruder wears better than the Crossbreed. Also I hear the Leather rub the Kydex at times with the Cross, I may try the Alien Gear for the 19 as I need a Holster since picking it up and using an old Targa That I bought for the SR9c (fits). For most of my subs I use the WartHog Gear (posted pics already) Its comfy in the 3:30-4 o'clock position and it comes off with ease.
Pic below is the Desantis Intruder (about 47 bucks)

2012-07-09_20-08-43_375.jpg

Last edited:
I did, actually. I had a VM-II. I hated it. Very uncomfortable and a pain to put and take off.

Mine stays on the belt/pants combo unless I change pants. ~3 o'clock comforting more than comfortable.

Holsters do a couple things. They cover the trigger guard to prevent the trigger from accidentally getting pulled if you bump into something, or when you grip the gun. They also keep the gun securely in position. The techna clip does neither. Clips that don't cover the trigger guard are spectacularly unsafe.

I've seen and experienced shirts getting caught in holster, no way I want uncovered trigger.

huge Stealthgear fan here. I sweat ....a lot so leather is not going to work for me. I tried the Alien Gear
first but their backing is a one size fits all, so with my shield it was actually painful to draw out of it.
Had to send it back.
I have an Onyx for my shield and a Flex as well. I wear the Flex more during the winter since I almost always have something like
a Northface fleece on or a sweat shirt.
I just ordered another flex for my XDM 3.8C.
I have a N82 pro for my M&P fs .40. It's super comfortable and conceals a FS gun pretty well, but that retention system killed it for me.
I practiced like crazy with at home and I felt really comfortable with it. I took it to a CCW class at MFS and had about a 40% failure rate drawing. I can't carry with that holster if I can't draw out of it 100% of the time. (lesson learned under pressure at full speed is a lot different than practicing in my livingroom).
I've since gone to a JM Kustom Kydex V2 for my FS .40 I really like their work a lot as well, but "Economist" is correct, different body types will work differently (along with different guns). I'm 6 foot 210 pounds (with a 34 inch waist) athletic build, almost everything works with my body type.
I've also decided I really like OWB much better than IWB.
I also have a Smart Carry for my Shield that I love as a deep conceal summer holster. My shield vanishes under cargo shorts.

Last edited:

I agree, but it's not any more or less safer than carrying in one's pocket without a holster, and I know plenty of people that do that.

I like Don Hume leather. Comfortable even under just a t-shirt and can't beat the price. Most are around $30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd the Don Hume leather, most can be had with or without a sweat guard for the hammer.

I agree, but it's not any more or less safer than carrying in one's pocket without a holster, and I know plenty of people that do that.

And those people are morons.

Pocket holsters do multiple things for you:

1) break up the outline of the gun
2) keep the gun grip oriented properly so you can grab it when you put your hand in your pocket.
3) protect the trigger from being accidentally pulled if you bump into something like a door handle.
4) prevent your finger from accidentally hitting the trigger as you grip the gun.

Carrying without a holster is stupid.

huge Stealthgear fan here. I sweat ....a lot so leather is not going to work for me. I tried the Alien Gear
first but their backing is a one size fits all, so with my shield it was actually painful to draw out of it.
Had to send it back.
I have an Onyx for my shield and a Flex as well. I wear the Flex more during the winter since I almost always have something like
a Northface fleece on or a sweat shirt.
I just ordered another flex for my XDM 3.8C.
I have a N82 pro for my M&P fs .40. It's super comfortable and conceals a FS gun pretty well, but that retention system killed it for me.
I practiced like crazy with at home and I felt really comfortable with it. I took it to a CCW class at MFS and had about a 40% failure rate drawing. I can't carry with that holster if I can't draw out of it 100% of the time. (lesson learned under pressure at full speed is a lot different than practicing in my livingroom).
I've since gone to a JM Kustom Kydex V2 for my FS .40 I really like their work a lot as well, but "Economist" is correct, different body types will work differently (along with different guns). I'm 6 foot 210 pounds (with a 34 inch waist) athletic build, almost everything works with my body type.
I've also decided I really like OWB much better than IWB.
I also have a Smart Carry for my Shield that I love as a deep conceal summer holster. My shield vanishes under cargo shorts.

Glad I clicked this thread.
I sweat a ton as well. Been carrying my Shield in a SHTF Gear (now Black Arch, I guess? I also had one for a PM9) hybrid for about a year and when it's hot like this, I have to check the gun regularly to wipe sweat off the grip and the slide - in fact as per an older thread, I'm getting rust forming on the left side of the Shield's slide as well as on the mag release spring.
I've been putting oil on the slide daily the last couple weeks to keep it from worsening.

Anyway- definitely gonna try a Stealth Gear now after watching that video.

Oh and maybe contact S&W about the slide finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TT Gun Leather is my favorite. Takes a long time to get one but well worth the wait. I have a nickel allergy and Tim was more than happy to customize to my needs. He gives a discount to military as well.

Http://www.ttgunleather.com

Back
Top Bottom