• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shoulder holsters, whatcha got?

I have the Miami Classic II for a bunch of my guns.

Take a look at this video. Most people wear their shoulder holsters incorrectly. I was one of them. I bought the tie downs to attach it to my belt. Big mistake.
Properly adjusted, the gun and mag carriers are as high up into your arm pit as you can comfortably wear them.
A big plus for me is that all of the Sig P series guns fit in the same holster (229-226-220-320) and all of your 1911's will fit the same holster, Full size-Commander-etc.
Once you set it up, you are gtg and just swapping magazines and guns. The exception being if the magazines are single or double stack.
Pro tip... Out of the box the Galco holsters are tight AF. Wrap your gun and mags with wax paper 3-5 times, then stuff the gun into the holster for a few days to stretch it out. It makes a world of difference.
For me, there is not much better than carrying a 5" - 1911, cocked and locked, 9 rounds in the gun, 2 full magazines under my arm and a full magazine in a horizontal mag carrier on my belt. 33 rounds of 230 grain, 45 acp, jacketed hollow points. Or, 61 rounds of 9mm and a Sig 226 or 229.
Optics Planet had the best prices. Copy and paste the Galco part # into the Optics Planet search bar.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRgZj7bvovM&t=300s

Nothing for the 29?

Nothing for the 29?
Yeah, I have their vertical holster. But, I admit, it was likely a waste of $300 bucks.
It was delivered, and I adjusted it for fit, wrapped the snot out of my gun with wax paper, and left the gun in there for about a week. Pulled it out, added 3 more layers of wax paper and left it in the holster for a month.
It really did the trick. Gun draws nice and smooth. But I have never carried it.
I toyed with the idea of a chest rig, for ease of access, but... Harry Callahan... lol. I wanted the ability to carry the 29 because the I like the idea of having a handgun and a rifle in the same caliber, and a lever gun in 44mag, while not an AR, gives you a pretty capable package.

1697894666935.jpeg

Yeah, I have their vertical holster. But, I admit, it was likely a waste of $300 bucks.
It was delivered, and I adjusted it for fit, wrapped the snot out of my gun with wax paper, and left the gun in there for about a week. Pulled it out, added 3 more layers of wax paper and left it in the holster for a month.
It really did the trick. Gun draws nice and smooth. But I have never carried it.
I toyed with the idea of a chest rig, for ease of access, but... Harry Callahan... lol. I wanted the ability to carry the 29 because the I like the idea of having a handgun and a rifle in the same caliber, and a lever gun in 44mag, while not an AR, gives you a pretty capable package.

View attachment 808234
You da man. I have a Biachi shoulder rig for the 629 that I like, but the Bianchi #10 belt holster is pretty sweet too. It has a nice can't for carry. What I like the most about these holsters is that they also work for my ported 6.5", 625, 45 Long Colt. It pairs well with the 16" marlin lever gun in 45 Long Colt. Im able to load the 45 Long Colt a bit warmer than the 44 magnum, so I like that too.

Last edited:
There's no way you'll get horse men and woman to wear a plastic helmet with their $ 2000.00 saddle seat equitation suits. A well made derby or gentlmens dress hat is in order.

Little update. Got the holster in and it is quite comfortable, but I've adjusted it at least a dozen times trying to find that perfect spot. Never owning one before and wearing it out is like the first time you went out with your CCW, you think it is more noticeable than it is. I know I'll figure out the perfect spot for me eventually, but it's certainly different.

Little update. Got the holster in and it is quite comfortable, but I've adjusted it at least a dozen times trying to find that perfect spot. Never owning one before and wearing it out is like the first time you went out with your CCW, you think it is more noticeable than it is. I know I'll figure out the perfect spot for me eventually, but it's certainly different.
I wore one occasionally with a 1911 and it was the same for me, comfortable. I've written this before, when I was ordering a OWB holster @ and from Mitch Rosen himself, he adjusted it again and it felt as though it wasn't even there.

Once you get used to the weight and position, and then find the right placement, it very well could become your preferred holster. Enjoy carrying. Matt

Safariland model 100 Jackass style clam shell holster. And as you can see it has been put to use not just spending time in the closet.

Attachments

• 20231021_161234.jpg
    20231021_161234.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20231021_161246.jpg
    20231021_161246.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
I’ve got a DeSantis I really like. Works for my 1911 Compact under a dress shirt.

"under"?

You shouldn't need to unbutton / unzip things to reach your gun.

If you're wearing a dress shirt, are you in a vest, sort coat, or just the business casual look?

This is me, with a Galco shoulder rig and a full size 1911. You can just barely make out the bulge:

1697923729902.png

The buttons are a slip fit. Secure to the wind or casual brush but opens easily if pulled.

"under"?

You shouldn't need to unbutton / unzip things to reach your gun.

If you're wearing a dress shirt, are you in a vest, sort coat, or just the business casual look?

This is me, with a Galco shoulder rig and a full size 1911. You can just barely make out the bulge:

View attachment 808440

The buttons are a slip fit. Secure to the wind or casual brush but opens easily if pulled.

I’m not fashionable at all. My usual wear is under a flannel shirt. But on the occasions I wear a dress shirt, it’s just a shirt, no vest or coat. And the shirt is pretty loose and probably needs to be ironed.
It’s not a fast draw by any means, but it’s faster than an ankle holster.
When I’m not dressed up the flannel is open enough to draw. It’s a compromise I’m OK with.
It more than likely prints badly. Either the harness or the gun, but that’s not my concern.

I've got pain in my back right where I usually wear my pistol IWB/OWB, and pain in my thigh where my pocket carry usually hits. Looks like a shoulder rig is the only way to go for the next month or so. My DeSantis rig that I really like and is very comfortable is on its last legs, I believe. So I started shopping around for a replacement.
Being one of the NES Skinflinters, I was very interested in Armadillo Holsters. I read some reviews on them and they seemed pretty positive. I figured I'd give it a shot.

I've been wearing it for about a week now, and I'm really liking it! Here's my review.

The holster and mag pouches are thick and stiff, and took 3 days of sitting with parchment paper wrapped gun / magazines to stretch out enough that I can actually put the gun in and draw it without excessive force. Any holster will need to be stretched, so I'm fine with that. 5 stars
The harness is soft but not thin flimsy leather. It feels like a cheap belt, but not as thick and bulky as a belt. It's very comfortable, supports weight of the gun/mags well without causing hot spots on my shoulders. It's thin enough that it doesn't print through my shirt - but if you look closely you can probably make out the back plate and might think I'm wearing a man bra, but that's going to be the case anyway. At least it takes attention off my garters and high heels. Don't judge. 5 stars
My first wearing I didn't adjust it right. It carried more like a Jackass style, almost upside down, than a traditional horizontal holster. It also was low on my torso and printed terribly. It looked like I was wearing a concealed colostomy bag. I didn't notice the weight, I was comfortable, I just looked stupid. This was my fault, I was in a rush to get someplace and wanted to wear my new toy. No rating given - I'm a dumbass.
I adjusted the holster properly, and it disappears under my arm. It falls right where I can reach it well. It hides as well as any shoulder rig I've worn and isn't bulky under my arm. It doesn't seem to print at all that I can tell, except for maybe the back plate like I said earlier. The harness holds the weight so the gun isn't even noticed and doesn't dig into my shoulders. Also, the thin harness stays in place on my shoulders, and doesn't ride up to rub against my neck. It doesn't have a large leather piece on my shoulders like I'm used to, I thought this would be an issue, but it actually looks like the thin straps (about 1" wide) are a better setup, color me surprised! 5 stars
The thumb-break is positive, but not difficult to release. I'm not a big fan of the strap going under the beavertail of my 1911, but this allows regular carry (cocked and locked) and isn't as bad as I first thought once I got a bit used to it. My DeSantis goes over the cocked hammer, and is a better setup, I think, but this is OK. 4 stars
The gun comes from the factory with belt tie downs. I'm not a fan, but they're easily removed. Use them or not, dealer's choice. 5 stars
The hardware is all metal. The stitching is well done. The adjustments for the harness are done with screws. I think they'll back out in time, so I plan on Loc-titing them once I'm certain I've got them where I want them. The screws and metal loops make adjusting this a breeze. I don't think I'll need to adjust them often, but with weight loss or whatever, I've had to adjust my current rig a few times and it was a pain in the butt. My DeSantis seems to hold the strap better and in more places, so it will stay if the plastic adjuster breaks, but I don't think the metal screw will break on this rig, so it's a non issue. 5 Stars
On a separate but similar deal - the harness doesn't snap into the holster. It has a metal loop sewn in, and the harness goes through that. I'm giving a rating on this separately since nothing sucks more than stretching or whatever and having a snap pop off the holster while you're wearing it. Makes for a fun walk out of church service to the bathroom to put your setup back together. I've only had this happen once, but it wasn't fun, and I'd hate for that to happen in a non-permissive environment. This won't be an issue with this holster, thankfully. 5 Stars
Value - at $80 delivered this holster is an outstanding value. I'll report back if this falls apart, but it doesn't seem to be cheaply made, at all. The company is very responsive to questions and says they have a lifetime warranty. 5 stars

Overall, I'm giving this 4.875 stars.

Anyone have a Mitch Rosen Executive? I’m thinking of getting one.
He had me try one on in his old shop and damn it was nice. Almost ordered one but he was already doing a OWB set of magazine and 1911 for me and I have an OLD Galco.

BTW, love the way he treats the 1911. When scheduling a visit, "You don't have a rail on that, do you?" [laugh]

AVAILABLE: Most medium to large autos. Please call with your specific pistol. When constructed for a 1911 pattern pistol, the thumb strap will only fit with the hammer in the cocked position.

Last edited:
Didn’t see it mentioned but a couple things to keep in mind, with a vertical style holster you’ll need a tie down to your belt or a heavy clip to your pants or the holster will just rise up with the gun when you try to draw.

With a horizontal holster that’s not really needed as your back/body is acting as the opposing force to allow a clean draw, if like @fencer stated above, you’re actually wearing it correctly and have adjusted the straps for the proper fit.

Re-holstering with a horizontal style is difficult if not just a waste of time trying to do with one hand, usually takes using both hands to steady and insert.
This is not the case with my Safariland vertical no need to connect to my belt
It is a clam shell style and retains the firearm without a problem it is also an easy draw and dosent ride up on the draw.

This is not the case with my Safariland vertical no need to connect to my belt
It is a clam shell style and retains the firearm without a problem it is also an easy draw and dosent ride up on the draw.
That’s a good detail to note!

Alien Gear shoulder holster is very adjustable, very comfortable, and quite expensive.

Has elastic sections built in to allow movement. Can use different shells depending on what your carrying. Frankly the thing is a puzzle to figure out and build.

Mine sits in a bin - usually carry IWB. Have a buddy who EDCs it with a vest (fleece or more formal) all the time.

View: https://youtu.be/W_bkaWdf-p8?si=W5dqRLmXwjCcOj9V

Well, the Mitch Rosen is out. He doesn’t make one for the PPK in his express line. As much as I appreciate his work, I can’t justify $260.00 for a holster right now. I ended up ordering a Kirkpatrick shoulder for $100.00 less. It looks to be very nice quality and it’s a single like the MR Executive. The only big difference is Mitch Rosen‘s has a suspender type to secure the other side and the Kirkpatrick one goes around your other arm. I can’t find much on reviews for it. I think he designed it like the Bond Spectre rig.

Well, the Mitch Rosen is out. He doesn’t make one for the PPK in his express line. As much as I appreciate his work, I can’t justify $260.00 for a holster right now. I ended up ordering a Kirkpatrick shoulder for $100.00 less. It looks to be very nice quality and it’s a single like the MR Executive. The only big difference is Mitch Rosen‘s has a suspender type to secure the other side and the Kirkpatrick one goes around your other arm. I can’t find much on reviews for it. I think he designed it like the Bond Spectre rig.
Please post some pics when you get it.

Please post some pics when you get it.
Will do cams. Also, I meant to add earlier, I was looking around for reviews and I found an Etsy store that had Kirkpatrick’s photos. I clicked on it and it is some hack from Pakistan ripping off the guys photos, and calling himself usleather. Raja is his name. I ended up sending Kirkpatrick an email with a link to this phony’s site.

Will do cams. Also, I meant to add earlier, I was looking around for reviews and I found an Etsy store that had Kirkpatrick’s photos. I clicked on it and it is some hack from Pakistan ripping off the guys photos, and calling himself usleather. Raja is his name. I ended up sending Kirkpatrick an email with a link to this phony’s site.
Unfortunately that’s pretty common these days with the Paki’s and Chinese setting up fake websites claiming to be US or UK companies, stealing their pics and then sending absolute garbage products in the hope that the customer won’t want to pay another 60.00 for return shipping once they realized they’ve been had.

Unfortunately that’s pretty common these days with the Paki’s and Chinese setting up fake websites claiming to be US or UK companies, stealing their pics and then sending absolute garbage products in the hope that the customer won’t want to pay another 60.00 for return shipping once they realized they’ve been had.
I got an email back from Kirkpatrick thanking me. They’re putting their IT guy on it. Hopefully Etsy will shut the scumbag down.

Back
Top Bottom