• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shoulder holsters, whatcha got?

edin508

NES Member
I'm interested in trying out a shoulder holster, now I realize this is going to be a you get what you pay for type thing. That said, they are not cheap and I don't want a collection of them like I do with my IWB and OWB holsters. What's the good, bad and ugly with these things?
One use I am thinking of right away is under my snowmobile jacket. I wear too many stinking layers to IWB or OWB, and I would rather not use a pocket as it will be bouncing around constantly and end up in who knows what position. Another use is just a more comfortable option now that we are in jacket season. So whatcha got? What have you found that works well and what should I stay away from? That said, whatever I get will be leather, not some cheap nylon thing.

A lot of shoulder holsters are not comfortable, tend to dig in under the armpit.

The only one I found to be usable/comfortable back when I wore a sport jacket a lot was the Galco Miami Vice or the Jackass model.

Also can be found on eBay for a lot less.

A lot of shoulder holsters are not comfortable, tend to dig in under the armpit.

The only one I found to be usable/comfortable back when I wore a sport jacket a lot was the Galco Miami Vice or the Jackass model.

Also can be found on eBay for a lot less.

I can vouch for the Classic. Comfortable and concealable.

This was my first shoulder holster (it’s probably 8yrs old by now and still looks new). I really like the combination of kydex and leather.

I wanted to try something more comfortable for road trips to keep the pressure off my hip/nerve area there. It’s great for fall / winter with a flannel or jacket over it.

Leather or nylon harness optional
Thumb strap optional
Mags/lights optional

Great service and quality, I’ve been thinking of ordering another for my G45. This one pictured is a G43 w/TLR6 light/laser set up.

E7A53995-6CDE-47CE-A54F-F7ABC5F9BADB.jpeg

Another one I’ve used that I see in the bargain bin of used holsters in shops and eBay is the Bianchi X15. Vertical, not horizontal but really gives the Dirty Harry feel. I can’t draw from it for crap, but it looked cool.

I have the Miami Classic II for a bunch of my guns.

Take a look at this video. Most people wear their shoulder holsters incorrectly. I was one of them. I bought the tie downs to attach it to my belt. Big mistake.
Properly adjusted, the gun and mag carriers are as high up into your arm pit as you can comfortably wear them.
A big plus for me is that all of the Sig P series guns fit in the same holster (229-226-220-320) and all of your 1911's will fit the same holster, Full size-Commander-etc.
Once you set it up, you are gtg and just swapping magazines and guns. The exception being if the magazines are single or double stack.
Pro tip... Out of the box the Galco holsters are tight AF. Wrap your gun and mags with wax paper 3-5 times, then stuff the gun into the holster for a few days to stretch it out. It makes a world of difference.
For me, there is not much better than carrying a 5" - 1911, cocked and locked, 9 rounds in the gun, 2 full magazines under my arm and a full magazine in a horizontal mag carrier on my belt. 33 rounds of 230 grain, 45 acp, jacketed hollow points. Or, 61 rounds of 9mm and a Sig 226 or 229.
Optics Planet had the best prices. Copy and paste the Galco part # into the Optics Planet search bar.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRgZj7bvovM&t=300s

I have the Miami Classic II for a bunch of my guns.

Take a look at this video. Most people wear their shoulder holsters incorrectly. I was one of them. I bought the tie downs to attach it to my belt. Big mistake.
Properly adjusted, the gun and mag carriers are as high up into your arm pit as you can comfortably wear them.
A big plus for me is that all of the Sig P series guns fit in the same holster (229-226-220-320) and all of your 1911's will fit the same holster, Full size-Commander-etc.
Once you set it up, you are gtg and just swapping magazines and guns. The exception being if the magazines are single or double stack.
Pro tip... Out of the box the Galco holsters are tight AF. Wrap your gun and mags with wax paper 3-5 times, then stuff the gun into the holster for a few days to stretch it out. It makes a world of difference.
For me, there is not much better than carrying a 5" - 1911, cocked and locked, 9 rounds in the gun, 2 full magazines under my arm and a full magazine in a horizontal mag carrier on my belt. 33 rounds of 230 grain, 45 acp, jacketed hollow points. Or, 61 rounds of 9mm and a Sig 226 or 229.
Optics Planet had the best prices. Copy and paste the Galco part # into the Optics Planet search bar.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRgZj7bvovM&t=300s

That was a good video, thanks.

I wore Miami Classic for about a year back when I used to own/carry G43. The Galco straps make it SUPER comfy to wear. Those who carry IWB and have never experienced shoulder carry: you have never experienced the ultimate comfort gun holster!
On the downside, the holster never got "adjusted" to really conform to the gun to make it easy to draw. It kept snagging. I got rid of G43 back around 2015-16 and haven't bought(or worn) another one since.
I wish there was something like a Kydex to make drawing smooth and without snagging, I'd probably reconsider. That said, I don't want to pay for the shoulder straps all over again. Those leather straps once they adjust to you, you never want to change them!

I wore Miami Classic for about a year back when I used to own/carry G43. The Galco straps make it SUPER comfy to wear. Those who carry IWB and have never experienced shoulder carry: you have never experienced the ultimate comfort gun holster!
On the downside, the holster never got "adjusted" to really conform to the gun to make it easy to draw. It kept snagging. I got rid of G43 back around 2015-16 and haven't bought(or worn) another one since.
I wish there was something like a Kydex to make drawing smooth and without snagging, I'd probably reconsider. That said, I don't want to pay for the shoulder straps all over again. Those leather straps once they adjust to you, you never want to change them!
Funny you say kydex. I was on Galcos site going down the rabbit hole and the

PARABELLUM 2.0 SHOULDER SYSTEM​

caught my eye. It's like the Miami but uses a kydex holster that works for a firearm that has a red dot, which mine has. The straps are also wider on the top which looks like it may be more comfortable.
And also, you can purchase just the holster "component" to use with your existing straps. Just the leather one though, not the kydex. I am going to send them an email to get more info, maybe the kydex version is just not listed on the site?
IMG_1996.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Galco vertical rig for my Beretta 92. My thoughts at the time were that it was the most comfortable way to carry it. I never carry it. I have thought about getting a shoulder holster for the PPK. It would be the Mitch Rosen Executive. I like how it just goes over one arm and there is just a suspender that goes over the other shoulder and clips to your belt or pants. An expensive decision when I can just slip it in my pocket.

I used to run the Galco Classic Lite for a Ruger LC9 for road trips and some winter activities that I liked a lot.

Extremely comfortable for me, but somewhat limited in terms of usability.

Didn’t see it mentioned but a couple things to keep in mind, with a vertical style holster you’ll need a tie down to your belt or a heavy clip to your pants or the holster will just rise up with the gun when you try to draw.

With a horizontal holster that’s not really needed as your back/body is acting as the opposing force to allow a clean draw, if like @fencer stated above, you’re actually wearing it correctly and have adjusted the straps for the proper fit.

Re-holstering with a horizontal style is difficult if not just a waste of time trying to do with one hand, usually takes using both hands to steady and insert.

I don’t have a shoulder holster but I do have some of his other ones. Really nice quality shipped out of Germany

Another vote for Galco Miami Classic.

I have a Sig 1911 with the squared slide. I learned a little about "boning" and spent some time with my gun in my holster, customizing the fit. Made a huge difference. You almost need two full mags on the other side to counterbalance the rig. I went out a couple times with just the gun and it slouched on that side.

Anyone have experience with the DeSantis Patriot? I like DeSantis holsters, but this one is nylon which makes me wonder. I’m betting it’s way beyond Uncle Mikes quality, but I’m concerned for bulk. The price is great and this may be a good casual rig.

Abe Vigoda News GIF by Mic

This is all I can think of when I think of shoulder holsters.

If I carry a 50AE Gold Tiger Stripe Desert Eagle (in honor of the Jews) in a shoulder holster, will it eventually cause Scoliosis?

Back
Top Bottom