• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hiking holsters

Yes.

The "Front pouch" is the best option for what?

OP:
I'm at a point now where I'm ready for a man purse. I'd like to carry a full size .45 while in hiking, in case of bears. What's a comfortable holster that would still not attract too much attention from other hikers, but be comfortable on long treks? Small of back? Fanny pack? Should I get the cross-shoulder manpurse?

This. Front pouch will be your best option.
OP: I'm at a point now where I'm ready for a man purse. I'd like to carry a full size .45 while in hiking, in case of bears. What's a comfortable holster that would still not attract too much attention from other hikers, but be comfortable on long treks? Small of back? Fanny pack? Should I get the cross-shoulder manpurse?

I'm going disagree with you and say that the front zipped organizer pocket is not the best option for @Love Machine to "carry a full size .45".

I own and use a HPG kit bag; my suggestion is to use the pistol compartment (with a holster or a trigger cover) to carry a full size .45

Last edited:
I'm going disagree with you and say that the front zipped organizer pocket is not the best option for @Love Machine to "carry a full size .45".

I own and use a HPG kit bag; my suggestion is to use the pistol compartment (with a holster or a trigger cover) to carry a full size .45
This is what I use when I use the kit bag.

I have a chest holster, not sure who makes it. Usually though I carry in an old Bianchi UM-84 like I used in the military. They fit just about any semi auto, the full flap protects from mud / dirt / snow / etc, they fit on any belt. Sure, I won't win any quick draw competitions with it, but that's the least of my worries.

1686312969112.png

We are literally talking about the same thing. I called it a pouch, you called it a kit bag. Same thing.

If carrying while hiking, I use a holster I attached to the belly band of my backpack, like so:

View attachment 761238

View attachment 761239

View attachment 761240
I thought about this.

With the amount of times I remove the bag, or sit against rocks, all the branches ... looks like a bad idea. At least for what I do and where I go.

I wouldn't want to leave the gun behind every time I remove the backpack.

I like the chest idea because it stays with you and the gun is covered.

I have a chest holster, not sure who makes it. Usually though I carry in an old Bianchi UM-84 like I used in the military. They fit just about any semi auto, the full flap protects from mud / dirt / snow / etc, they fit on any belt. Sure, I won't win any quick draw competitions with it, but that's the least of my worries.
There is an option for that holster to use a thumb snap to increase speed, but (as you alluded to) at a loss for environmental protection.

(Notice that the strap is over the rear of the slide and not the backstrap, allowing for a full firing grip before releasing the retention device.)

M9 holster thumbbreak top.JPG

There is an option for that holster to use a thumb snap to increase speed, but (as you alluded to) at a loss for environmental protection.

(Notice that the strap is over the rear of the slide and not the backstrap, allowing for a full firing grip before releasing the retention device.)

View attachment 761565

You're right, I had one issued to me but traded it away. I forgot about that. Good option and the rest of the holster is pretty well padded to protect the pistol.

I got used to the full flap and find it good enough.

Whenever I'd carry in the Air Force, we'd always have to abide by Army regulations about carry. In a weird bizarro world, the Air Force Instructions call for carrying the Beretta with a round in the chamber and safety off, like normal people; however, the Army required you to carry with chamber empty and safety on, cause gunz. There would always be a prick E7-E9 who would look for someone's safety to be off or some other BS reason to eff with the troops, and I didn't like following stupid regulations. The full flap concealed the safety and the ejector (loaded chamber indicator) so that if I became the first Air Force Intel puke in recent history to get in a gunfight, I'd at least be pulling a loaded firearm out. I just didn't look Han Solo cool like everyone else with their thigh-high holsters that hit every doorway they went through.

Only place you're ever likely to hear anyone scream in terror if they catch sight of you carrying while hiking is on the AT. I swear some of those people are the craziest most entitled turds I've ever seen. "WHAT?!? You brought a GUN in the forest!?!?! AAAAHHHH!!!"
Just pause and slowly say “I’m hunting wabbit.”

The hill people gear belt packs look nice, but man are they pricey. Anyone use something similar that is more friendly on the wallet that I will be carrying in it?

I have one of the 5.11 select carry pistol pouches but it doesn't really have much room.

The hill people gear belt packs look nice, but man are they pricey. Anyone use something similar that is more friendly on the wallet that I will be carrying in it?

I have one of the 5.11 select carry pistol pouches but it doesn't really have much room.
See swamp yankee’s post above. There are lots of fanny packs out there now. Ideally you can check them in person to see how the compartments would work.

I rock this fannypack from fieldcraft survival. Its a little bulkier than my last man purse (arctera) especially if i put more than my daily kit in it. But i love the orange on the inside and the easy pull tabs on the pocket that matters. And i didnt think id keep the key lanyard but i use it all the time Unlike a holster i can slide it to 12oclock in the car and i dont lose any access or comfort.

Promocode welcome15

Attachments

• 20230612_103739.jpg
    20230612_103739.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230612_103836.jpg
    20230612_103836.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230612_104821.jpg
    20230612_104821.jpg
    917.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_2440.png
    IMG_2440.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 2
This pocket here on the arctera is pretty noiche. Overall im much happier with the one from fieldcraft at almost half the price tho

Attachments

• 20230612_105604.jpg
    20230612_105604.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230612_105524.jpg
    20230612_105524.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 11
wilderness safe packer for smaller pieces - hill people chest rig for the Glock G40 and a sandwich

Backpacking I think I’d go a different setup, but for hiking day trails, P365 with Underwood Xtreme penetrators in a snubby HPG belt pack. I just shift it to my side while walking. Keeps my chest open to receive a breeze and air out. But on a multi-day, I could see it starting to create hot spots on my hips.

9mm?! I’m gonna get killed in the trails!

We’re in the northeast, not Alaska.

View attachment 761207
* I’ve paired this down slightly and got rid of the spork and swapped the flashlight for a headlamp. I also removed the bear spray holder from the bottom.
I'm sorry, but is that a sauce packet? 🤣

I'm sorry, but is that a sauce packet? 🤣
Hahaha, never know when you’re gonna get a squirrel for your camp and need to dunk those little meat bites. 😆

It really does look like that, but on the serious side: it’s a tab of hexamine. The smell is awful though, even through the packaging. So I am thinking of swapping it for a dryer lint ball soaked in wax.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom