• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hiking holsters

I'm at a point now where I'm ready for a man purse. I'd like to carry a full size .45 while in hiking, in case of bears. What's a comfortable holster that would still not attract too much attention from other hikers, but be comfortable on long treks? Small of back? Fanny pack? Should I get the cross-shoulder manpurse?

Hill People Gear kit bag.
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

That is what i use. I only day hike so it does not interfere with my light pack. A heavier pack with a chest strap may be uncomfortable?
I wear a t shirt then holster and usually a vest or thin button down shirt unless it is hot then i am open carrying with just the t-shirt. All my years hiking and nobody has cared.

I'm at a point now where I'm ready for a man purse. I'd like to carry a full size .45 while in hiking, in case of bears. What's a comfortable holster that would still not attract too much attention from other hikers, but be comfortable on long treks? Small of back? Fanny pack? Should I get the cross-shoulder manpurse?
Sling bags or small day packs are good. If you want a fag bag (waist bag?) go with Maxpedition. Amazing quality and basically designed for a gun and some other small crap.

backpack IMO is quick enough for bears
So a backpack is my usual
If weather is not very hot I use a GunFighters chest holster under a over shirt/ sweatshirt/ jacket
I don't care about printing when hiking or borderline o/c but I can't deal with the weight owb/iwb when doing miles

Hill People Gear kit bag.
+1

View: https://youtu.be/HiQmF9fssu4

I've also use a HPG Kit Bag for shorter hikes with more weight.

HPG Kit bag.jpg

There is a lot of talk about the HPG Kit Bag if you search the Tactical Gear Zoolander Megathread

Also, last October I used a Keeper's Concealment AIWB holster (and an AIFAK) on a hiking trail (seven miles total) in the Granite Mountain Hotshots Memorial Park with no issues.

Last edited:
I’m assuming you’re hiking on the western part of the country if you’re worried about bears. So I would recommend open carrying in a chest rig style holster if your pack’s hip belt is going to interfere with a belt OWB holster. If you’re hiking in New England, I’d recommend saving the weight. But nothing wrong with walking around with a gun if you’re inclined to.

I’m assuming you’re hiking on the western part of the country if you’re worried about bears. So I would recommend open carrying in a chest rig style holster if your pack’s hip belt is going to interfere with a belt OWB holster. If you’re hiking in New England, I’d recommend saving the weight. But nothing wrong with walking around with a gun if you’re inclined to.
If I was worried about black bears, I would just pack an extra douche and some tampons. Nobody with a penis over the age of 13 needs to worry about black bears.

I have literally shared a pizza with one at fort drum.

If I was worried about black bears, I would just pack an extra douche and some tampons. Nobody with a penis over the age of 13 needs to worry about black bears.

I have literally shared a pizza with one at fort drum.
I’ve come across them on the trail. Yes, even the dreaded mom and cubs. They’re a non issue. If I was “hiking” on some popular suburban trail where the crackheads and muggers might be hanging out then I’d carry. But if I’m in the real woods, I’d rather not have the weight. I do carry out west in the woods. But it’s a whole lot more than a 45 auto.

Fanny pack with a full size .45 on a long trek sounds miserable. Personally I just toss a small revolver in one of my water bottle pockets on the outside of my pack. Recommendations might depend on what you typically wear on these hikes since presumably you're bringing food and water with you.

Check out:

That picture of @Reptile creeps me out every time
That picture of me is so old.

I can't believe that old photo I took 20 years ago is still around!

Back
Top Bottom